2019 Applicants

1 minute ago, Bopie5 said:

@The Wordsworthian The 1975! I'm so excited--their new album is insanely good. Lots of really interesting juxtapositions both lyrically and musically. I'm going with 7 of my friends and we're gonna be in the pit!

That's so exciting, I've always wanted to see them! Having something to look forward to is really important for morale for sure

@The Wordsworthian RIGHT!? It's gonna be the best night ever--I've seen some pics from this tour and it's visually so wild and beautiful. 

@SomeoneAcceptMe I have too! I've loved them since like 2013-2014, and I didn't go the last time I had the chance to see them, and have been regretting it for years...I'm just trying to put more and more good things on the slate for March-April. 

Congrats @Englishtea1!!!!  I'm so glad the first result on here is an acceptance.  Looking forward to hearing what other programs you get in to!

Have fun, @Bopie5, I've never heard of that band, gotta check them out after seeing how much my fellow gradcafs love them.

Edited by kendalldinniene

@kendalldinniene You definitely do! I really recommend I Like America & America Likes Me, Love It If We Made It, I Couldn't Be More In Love, A Change of Heart, Paris, Robbers, Me, If I Believe You, and Inside Your Mind. That's like a million but yknow. The most famous ones are probably Chocolate, Sex, and The Sound, and those are all really good too!

This gets me wondering--what kind of music do you all like? We've talked about books and movies, but not much about music yet.

2 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

This gets me wondering--what kind of music do you all like? We've talked about books and movies, but not much about music yet.

I like classic rock, especially bands like ELO, and Fleetwood Mac.  I also like folksy stuff like Fleet Foxes.  When I'm studying and writing I listen to classical music, I can enjoy it without being distracted by it.

Honestly though, I rarely listen to music these days, I mostly listen to podcasts.  I'm super in to My Favorite Murder, and shows about medical history like Sawbones and This Podcast will Kill You.  I also like Last Podcast on the Left and Shittown.  I'm a huge true crime fan.

9 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I'm super in to My Favorite Murder, and shows about medical history like Sawbones and This Podcast will Kill You.  I also like Last Podcast on the Left and Shittown.  I'm a huge true crime fan.

Omg! SSDGM ?

21 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

A terrible mix of The Mountain Goats, queer/straight-edge punx, and 80's/ 90's post-punk

1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

Right now I’m really into sample-based electronic and vapor wave! Like George Clanton, Nicolas Jaar, James Ferraro, etc. I’d highly suggest Clanton’s recent album, Slide

Also, i thoroughly enjoyed the 1975’s new album!

miniature rant incoming aka reasons to hate academia #23894728934

i signed up to review for this interesting journal when i was in my MA program figuring i'd never be invited. of course, now that i'm not in my program anymore and i'm this weird transitional place called applying-for-PhD-programs we all know and love (ha), i get a request. i wrote to the editor asking if it was appropriate for me to review it, and while he said yes, he called me dear: "yes dear Jane." (my name isn't jane but i'm using it here as an example.) UM? now i don't want to. part of me wants to tell him it's rather patronizing and not to do that again, but the other part of me wonders if it's worth the confrontation. 

also i think i'll listen to the 1975 while at work given the recent convo!

Edited by mandelbulb
clarification!

3 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Could it have been an auto correct error?

i can't think of what he would've been trying to type before my name and the sentence is perfectly clear otherwise... 

4 minutes ago, mandelbulb said:

i can't think of what he would've been trying to type before my name and the sentence is perfectly clear otherwise... 

Well that’s just disappointing then. I probably wouldn’t be able to resist pointing out how completely inappropriate it was ??‍♀️

32 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

i’m wary of that absent comma though...

i worked for this psych professor for a number of years, and she always wrote emails with little to no punctuation lol her published papers are great though. 

he didn't need to mention my name, nor did he need to put dear in front of it. the sentence would've been fine without either! choices...

1 hour ago, mandelbulb said:

he called me dear: "yes dear Jane." (my name isn't jane.)

I can't tell if I'm more weirded out by the "dear" or by the fact that he called you by a totally different name!? ugh. Bizarre and annoying.

2 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

I can't tell if I'm more weirded out by the "dear" or by the fact that he called you by a totally different name!? ugh. Bizarre and annoying.

oh, no! he used my real name, but i'm not gunna put that on gradcafe lol 

3 minutes ago, mandelbulb said:

oh, no! he used my real name, but i'm not gunna put that on gradcafe lol 

OH I understand. When you said "(my name isn't jane)" I thought you meant that he'd called you by a different name haha. 

Still weird as hell to say "dear," and super uncomfortable imho. 

Edited by Bopie5

3 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Ooooh I love any music-based discussion, I have literally been spending all my anxiety-ridden time making Spotify playlists to match my neurotic array of moods.

I'm really into Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Arcade Fire, Beach House, alt-J, Sufjan Stevens, Sharon van Etten, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, to name a few... but I'm missing a ton in that little list. 

17 minutes ago, The Wordsworthian said:

Ooooh I love any music-based discussion, I have literally been spending all my anxiety-ridden time making Spotify playlists to match my neurotic array of moods.

I'm really into Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Arcade Fire, Beach House, alt-J, Sufjan Stevens, Sharon van Etten, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, to name a few... but I'm missing a ton in that little list. 

I have been doing the exact same thing! I think I make a new playlist every couple of days. 

Also, so with you on alt-J, Sufjan, Sharon van Etten, and Joni Mitchell--all faves of mine too!