2019 Applicants

1 hour ago, rxing963 said:

LOL i just read the marathon part and i think i died of laughter sorry if this is incredibly traumatic to you... im a runner as well!  it's such a great outlet, the high is unbeatable, although idk i've never tried any drugs before

No, it was definitely meant to be funny (and relatable to some).  I'm not sure I would've gotten through undergrad (and honestly life in general) without having running as an outlet.  And you're right, there really is nothing quite like the runner's high--it's no myth!

1 hour ago, rxing963 said:

@dangermouse ooo audiobook i have no patience for that hahah.... im considering moving dune up on my list bc another friend of mine is just pressing me to read it haha.  what genres do you usually read?

i do a lot of walking so i get through a decent amount of lit that way! i love historical fiction, horror.. i read a decent amount of fantasy as well but i think i've got a bit burned out on it now so have struggled to get into it recently. how about you?!

20 hours ago, SomeoneAcceptMe said:

Hey everyone, full-time lurker here! I just posted a topic panicking about one of my apps so I thought I might as well introduce myself ?

I graduated last May, this is my first application cycle, and oh my goodness has it been a stressful experience. I'm interested in Modernist and fin-de-siecle literature, really love phenomenology and affect theory! 

What are you guys doing to pass the time and/or ward off endless anxiety?

Every season of Downton Abbey is on Prime now, just saying...

2 hours ago, dangermouse said:

i do a lot of walking so i get through a decent amount of lit that way! i love historical fiction, horror.. i read a decent amount of fantasy as well but i think i've got a bit burned out on it now so have struggled to get into it recently. how about you?!

oh hm my reading is all over the place, so i can't say 100%!  but i think i MOST enjoy dystopian novels (favorite is 1984 lol, i'm THAT girl).  I also love classics (i LOVE of mice and men... god...), sci fi (favorite is do androids dream of electric sheep? by philip dick, it kinda crosses over into dystopian), and nonfiction historical music scene books (mainly about punk, straight edge hardcore, metal, etc).  anything angsty or depressing is good.  nabokov is a great author.  yeah but i love random books from all genres pretty much lol

EDIT: other fave books of mine include roses by leila meacham (a random romance, just because), the little prince by antoine de saint exupery (it is so deep and innocent, just a gem), and the joy luck club OR the kitchen god's wife, both by amy tan (i love chinese cultural fiction bc im chinese)

I HAVE SO MUCH I WANT TO READ GODDAMMIT AND SO LITTLE TIME

Edited by rxing963

2 hours ago, rxing963 said:

i LOVE of mice and men

I taught Of Mice and Men in a 9th grade English class last year and all my students started using the word "tart" instead of slut because of it...not exactly the result i was hoping for :( 

3 hours ago, rxing963 said:

oh hm my reading is all over the place, so i can't say 100%!  but i think i MOST enjoy dystopian novels (favorite is 1984 lol, i'm THAT girl).  I also love classics (i LOVE of mice and men... god...), sci fi (favorite is do androids dream of electric sheep? by philip dick, it kinda crosses over into dystopian), and nonfiction historical music scene books (mainly about punk, straight edge hardcore, metal, etc).  anything angsty or depressing is good.  nabokov is a great author.  yeah but i love random books from all genres pretty much lol

EDIT: other fave books of mine include roses by leila meacham (a random romance, just because), the little prince by antoine de saint exupery (it is so deep and innocent, just a gem), and the joy luck club OR the kitchen god's wife, both by amy tan (i love chinese cultural fiction bc im chinese)

I HAVE SO MUCH I WANT TO READ GODDAMMIT AND SO LITTLE TIME

I took a dystopian lit class last spring and really enjoyed Never Let Me Go and Woman on the Edge of Time. Very different but good. NLMG is a masterpiece, IMO.

1984 is incredible, we should all be THAT girl about it.

@FiguresIII and fellow comp litters—-does anyone have any stats/knowings re: how many//which schools typically interview, and which don’t? could be useful data, and finding out could keep us delightfully distracted (hinthint)

edit: for starters, i know that CUNY grad center and penn state do...

Edited by pdh12

2 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

@FiguresIII and fellow comp litters—-does anyone have any stats/knowings re: how many//which schools typically interview, and which don’t? could be useful data, and finding out could keep us delightfully distracted (hinthint)

notre dame, uchicago, and duke also interview

24 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

UC Irvine Comp Lit interviews and seems to notify abt interviews around Jan. 22

1 hour ago, kendalldinniene said:

I took a dystopian lit class last spring and really enjoyed Never Let Me Go and Woman on the Edge of Time. Very different but good. NLMG is a masterpiece, IMO.

1984 is incredible, we should all be THAT girl about it.

I took a Dystopian Lit course this past fall!  Which books did you read in yours?

17 hours ago, The Wordsworthian said:

I took a Dystopian Lit course this past fall!  Which books did you read in yours?

Technically is was a utopia and dystopia class.  We read Plato’s Republic, Utopia, Looking Backward, and the two I mentioned.  I feel like there was another text in there that quarter but I can’t remember what the heck it was. What did you read in your class? 

I think as a woman and a leftist reading old utopic texts made me see just how much a utopia for some is always a dystopia for others, and how that’s shaped culture since the dawn of time.  I can tell you it was a relief to get through the pre-20th century texts ?. But I really enjoyed the class overall.

5 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Idk about all of you but I’m getting pretty tired of the fact that I experience time passing at a normal rate! Wish I could just KNOW decisions already and move on with my life one way or another.

THISSSSSS 

I keep looking at the date and just basically being offended by it.

9 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Idk about all of you but I’m getting pretty tired of the fact that I experience time passing at a normal rate! Wish I could just KNOW decisions already and move on with my life one way or another.

Yep!!!!! I was expecting to hear back from my first school last week, but they pushed it back another two weeks. Two weeks seems like forever, let alone two months until all the decisions are in!

1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

I got you, hold on a sec.

271379440_ScreenShot2019-01-14at4_51_53PM.png.559c10aa56a851caa6ef66bd68d37996.png

Wow, here we are in mid-late February! You're welcome everyone !!

@dilby Hahahaha! That killed me. Brought a good bit of laughter to this boring and slow moving afternoon. If only it were so!

In the meantime, just finished submitting some poetry to 3 magazines, and am now headed off to yoga. Anything to speed up the days...

Is anyone else finding that not knowing about grad school is making trying to plan future endeavors increasingly complicated? I was talking to my mom, and realized that if I stay in CA for grad school, I won't want to drive my car back (where my family lives) for the summer, but I also can't assume that I will stay in CA, and therefore cannot buy my plane ticket...

26 minutes ago, jadeisokay said:

trying to plan anything beyond the day of my graduation is just useless. some friends want to make travel plans and i have to tell them i have no idea where i will be, when. 

I feel this SO hard.  My mom texted my sister and I to ask us about some event in August and I'm like.... idk what my life will be then (or in 24 hours, for that matter).