2019 Applicants

@The Wordsworthian @Bopie5 love alt-j and acrade fire myself. some of my go-to music is by broken social scene (including offshoots metric, feist, stars), banks, fka twigs, frank ocean, childish gambino, bastille, passion pit. i've been listening a lot recently to billie eilish (i'm bummed i missed her at a recent concert i was at, but hey i saw bastille!) and haux.

If I were to pretend that I actively explore new music rather than simply replaying the Call Me By Your Name soundtrack and Phantom Thread score 4-6 times per day while working, I would recommend Andy Shauf (The Party), Owen Pallett (Heartland) and Miya Folick (Premonitions)

11 minutes ago, The Wordsworthian said:

@mandelbulb Your taste is fantastic!  I love Broken Social Scene, fka twigs, Banks, and Passion Pit.  I also saw Arcade Fire in concert last fall and it was UNREAL. 

that means your taste is great too! i haven't seen arcade fire in concert, but i would in a heartbeat.

6 minutes ago, dilby said:

If I were to pretend that I actively explore new music rather than simply replaying the Call Me By Your Name soundtrack and Phantom Thread score 4-6 times per day while working, I would recommend Andy Shauf (The Party), Owen Pallett (Heartland) and Miya Folick (Premonitions)

i loved call me by your name, and the soundtrack only made it that much better.

Just now, kendalldinniene said:

Has anyone seen The End of the F$cking World on Netflix? The soundtrack is serious music goals.

yeah, loved that series! and again, a good watch AND a good listen is a dream ❤️ 

@dilby Ahhh the Call Me By Your Name soundtrack is GOLD.  Sometimes when I'm feeling particularly melancholic and just want to sit in my sadness I watch the end scene where Chalamet is just staring at the fire with tears in his eyes and "Visions of Gideon" plays.  Unreal. 

Andy Shauf is also fantastic.  I quite love the song "The Magician" by him.

Unrelated but has anyone seen the thread in waiting it out called "that awkward moment when..."?  It is making me feel a lot better about almost sending in my UPenn SoP with "Penn State" written in it, or that one SoP in which I said "additionally" twice in the same paragraph.  Plus, it's hilarious.

10 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Unrelated but has anyone seen the thread in waiting it out called "that awkward moment when..."?  It is making me feel a lot better about almost sending in my UPenn SoP with "Penn State" written in it, or that one SoP in which I said "additionally" twice in the same paragraph.  Plus, it's hilarious.

lol yeah, it's a great pick-me-up thread. we could have a 2019 bloopers thread here too? 

2 hours ago, mandelbulb said:

i worked for this psych professor for a number of years, and she always wrote emails with little to no punctuation lol her published papers are great though. 

he didn't need to mention my name, nor did he need to put dear in front of it. the sentence would've been fine without either! choices...

Not to belittle your experience but you made me think of this video lol...

2 hours ago, dilby said:

Serial CMBYN & Phantom Thread OST replayer here too! Though I’d also add the soundtracks for Her, Pride and Prejudice, and The Hours onto my study playlist. I love Andy Shauf as well, so it seems I’ve got to check out everything else on your list, since your taste in music seems to overlap very much with mine. 

@Bopie5 @The Wordsworthian It’s so nice to know that there are other Sufjan fans on this forum as well!! Does anyone else have Illinois at hand, in preparation for the day that they’re rejected by Chicago? (I’m not optimistic about my chances, so my vinyl’s already at the ready for when I need to mourn the lost hours I’ve spent working on my Chicago application...) 

On a side note, since you’re both fans of Sharon Van Etten, do you listen to Anna Calvi or St Vincent too? Their music’s in a somewhat similar vein to Van Etten’s, I think. 

And of course, I have to ask, are there any fans of Kate Bush here? 

Edited by flungoutofspace

1 hour ago, mwils15 said:

I'm so excited to find Drag Race fans in this thread! Reply with your three favorite Drag Race queens; my faves are BenDeLaCreme, Manila Luzon, Bob the Drag Queen!

only three? ow. valentina, pearl, and bianca del rio but that's not including a lot of my other favorites

Totally jumping into this conversation late, but I'm really digging everyone's tastes in music. @flungoutofspace, I just started listening to St. Vincent, and I'm into it. I only know Anna Calvi through her bit on a Noah and the Whale track, but I should go check out her solo stuff.

Anyone ever listen to Bad Bad Hats? Their new album that came out in 2018 is fantastic.

Edited by northwestnative

2 hours ago, mwils15 said:

I'm so excited to find Drag Race fans in this thread! Reply with your three favorite Drag Race queens; my faves are BenDeLaCreme, Manila Luzon, Bob the Drag Queen!

Bianca, Bob, and Alaska. But I love so many of them. Saw Bianca a few years ago in Sacramento and holy hell she is scathemazing. 

39 minutes ago, northwestnative said:

Totally jumping into this conversation late, but I'm really digging everyone's tastes in music. @flungoutofspace, I just started listening to St. Vincent, and I'm into it. I only know Anna Calvi through her bit on a Noah and the Whale track, but I should go check out her solo stuff.

Anyone ever listen to Bad Bad Hats? Their new album that came out in 2018 is fantastic.

i quite like st vincent too! i haven't heard of bad bad hats, but i'll check them out.

32 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Bianca, Bob, and Alaska. But I love so many of them. Saw Bianca a few years ago in Sacramento and holy hell she is scathemazing. 

I saw Bianca in DC in March; such a powerhouse of talent. I most recently saw Jinkx and DeLa's holiday tour, which came to DC as well!

Wow, this thread is seriously busy today!

Big congrats to @Englishtea1

Just checked out the Waiting it out "awkward moments" thread... I actually googled and found the POI who ended up killing his wife by cyanide--it's legit!!!

Edit: Not that I'm excited she died..Oops, just read the next few posts and they actually link to it themselves. But, still, very crazy. 

Edited by sugilite
Edited to seem more normal and less murder-happy

@The Wordsworthian on spotify last year my #1 top song played was visions of gideon which i think shows you exactly what sort of mental fire-staring state i was in for a lot of it haha.

@flungoutofspace i LOVE st vincent! i've had the piano versions of MassEducation on repeat for the last few weeks.