2019 Applicants

6 hours ago, jadeisokay said:

this is a hysterical image in my head. he had a singular aesthetic. it's totally worth it. really, i'd say brief interviews with hideous men is my favorite of his overall. but ij is a total trip. 

@pdh12 i'm sure you were just fine!

Just jumping into a conversation again—glad to see some happy conversation going on about DFW. Some of my research is on Wallace and religion, and I do some work for the DFW society. Personally, I think IJ is way more readable than the novels it's often listed with: Gravity's Rainbow and The Recognitions and Jerusalem and the like. But I think that his best writing is, as you say, in BI, plus Oblivion.

49 minutes ago, northwestnative said:

Just jumping into a conversation again—glad to see some happy conversation going on about DFW. Some of my research is on Wallace and religion, and I do some work for the DFW society. Personally, I think IJ is way more readable than the novels it's often listed with: Gravity's Rainbow and The Recognitions and Jerusalem and the like. But I think that his best writing is, as you say, in BI, plus Oblivion.

i was waiting for you to geek out about dfw lol you never fail me!!

(disclosure: we’re cohort mates)

ah, no way! i was kicking around the idea to go to the conference this year if at all possible; 2018 wasn't an option time- or money-wise. am super curious about your research.

i submitted a proposal tonight for an upcoming conference centered around aesthetics research. theme is discussions of "highbrow" and "lowbrow" values so i pitched a presentation about '80s action films, idealized masculine bodies, and the influence of '80s politics/American exceptionalism on action films. my roommates and i are semi-ironically obsessed with top gun but i thought there was actually an idea there somewhere. not expecting to be accepted, but writing the abstract was a blast and good distraction. the experience would be nice. 

I was fortunate enough to take a seminar on DFW in college that included 7 weeks on Infinite Jest. that was a nice time to be figuring my shit out pre- discovering a lot of other stuff. I think that class made me a much better person :)

I wish there was a movie of Infinite Jest so I could just watch that instead of reading the book. I'm always telling my roommate that he's a total rube for reading Anna Kerenina right now

48 minutes ago, sad_diamond said:

I wish there was a movie of Infinite Jest so I could just watch that instead of reading the book. I'm always telling my roommate that he's a total rube for reading Anna Kerenina right now

i know that i'd probably be hung, drawn, and quartered for saying this -- especially as someone whose research interest is partly on modernist literature -- but i wish someone would do the same for ulysses. i don't know how any adaptation of that novel can be done effectively, really, but if someone could translate //all that// to screen, im sure the film would be a masterpiece not unlike sally potter's orlando. 

@flungoutofspace there is Bloom (2004). Haven’t watched it myself, but someone in my cohort is doing her thesis on several adaptations of Ulysses, specifically looking at the different ways Molly is represented. Won’t say more than that since I don’t want to misrepresent her work or the film. 

47 minutes ago, flungoutofspace said:

i know that i'd probably be hung, drawn, and quartered for saying this -- especially as someone whose research interest is partly on modernist literature -- but i wish someone would do the same for ulysses. i don't know how any adaptation of that novel can be done effectively, really, but if someone could translate //all that// to screen, im sure the film would be a masterpiece not unlike sally potter's orlando. 

I have a similar wistful desire to see Ulysses faithfully adapted as a 9-hr experimental TV series, but am content to enjoy the Joycean qualities of filmmakers like Terrence Malick, Stan Brakhage, Isao Takahata, etc

waaaay outta left field...but all this iamb got me wonderin if we should just....write songs?...here? it seems we're collectively odd enough to conjure such a phenomenon

(i secretly have a too-strange bandcamp of weirdness if anyone feels inclined to be disturbed)

22 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Do any of the rest of you here watch The Good Place? It is great at cheering the endless anxiety parade that is waiting for decisions!

I enjoy The Good Place a lot but it also makes me really frustrated because I feel like all the characters' dilemmas could be immediately solved if any of them read like a single piece of continental philosophy

22 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

Do any of the rest of you here watch The Good Place? It is great at cheering the endless anxiety parade that is waiting for decisions!

Like, it took them THREE WHOLE SEASONS to find out morality is a scam...um hello...

FYI For Ohio State applicants: Someone just posted on the results page that they looking in their portal and it had an acceptance even though they hadn't received an email yet. Might be worth checking your portal if you applied there!

3 hours ago, sad_diamond said:

Like, it took them THREE WHOLE SEASONS to find out morality is a scam...um hello...

Yeah I feel for sure! As someone with a background in philosophy, it can feel a little surface level, but I still find a lot of the humor to be more existential and intelligent than that of many other sitcoms!

13 hours ago, pdh12 said:

waaaay outta left field...but all this iamb got me wonderin if we should just....write songs?...here? it seems we're collectively odd enough to conjure such a phenomenon

(i secretly have a too-strange bandcamp of weirdness if anyone feels inclined to be disturbed)

Disturb us.

9 hours ago, jadeisokay said:

i'm noticing for northwestern comp lit results that in the past handful of years a few people were getting results in late january. making me wonder if we'll hear something next week.

Same for Penn State!  It looks like in the past three years some applicants heard back in late January (while others heard in March), so you bet I’m checking my email every minute now haha.