2019 Applicants

3 minutes ago, dilby said:

723722956_ScreenShot2019-01-17at12_56_03PM.png.4b518b34b7ebedc41a955540d1809ccf.png

The first poem of hers that I fell in love with and one that basically encapsulates what made her so special to me

This was also the first poem of hers that I fell in love with. 

Today, I am thinking on this one--"Death at a Great Distance" https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/browse?volume=152&issue=4&page=9

On 1/12/2019 at 11:04 PM, rxing963 said:

@jadeisokay dude r u and i the same person? i was just watching the colts v. chiefs playoffs and love hockey lol... i try to hit the gym 3-4 days of the week but usually end up working out nearly every day bc i love sweat and adrenaline

what's everyone been reading?  i've been reading a lot, too, currently finishing up the three-body problem by liu cixin and will move onto some music oral history books.  what are some good book recs y'all have?

EDIT: does anyone use goodreads?  i could really use some friends on there for recs

I totally missed this post. we do appear to be the same person, hah. who you rooting for on sunday? 

Anyone been watching Tidying Up on Netflix?  I found a new hobby to get me through the next few weeks- throwing things away!  I've already done my closet and all of my makeup.  I'm telling myself I'm making it easier to move wherever I end up getting in ?

Edited by kendalldinniene

3 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Anyone been watching Tidying Up on Netflix?  \

YES! I am loving the positivity in the series and the articles about gender dynamics / the invisibility of women's labor

6 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Welp, the fact that I didn't get an interview email from Chicago has officially activated A New Level™ of decision anxiety. Catch me deploying the dubious coping mechanism of reading and rereading Sedgwick for the next several hours while eating cookies!

I'm right there with you, @Bopie5

9 minutes ago, illcounsel said:

YES! I am loving the positivity in the series and the articles about gender dynamics / the invisibility of women's labor

It makes me think of this article "I Stand Here Limpiando: Maternal Knowledge, Chicana Subjectivity, and Mother-Daughter Bonding" by Christina Herrera.  It's all about recognizing the communicative, inter-generational power of women's labor.  Super cool stuff.

Just now, kendalldinniene said:

It makes me think of this article "I Stand Here Limpiando: Maternal Knowledge, Chicana Subjectivity, and Mother-Daughter Bonding" by Christina Herrera.  It's all about recognizing the communicative, inter-generational power of women's labor.  Super cool stuff

I'll add that to me reading list! Sounds wonderful!

55 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Anyone been watching Tidying Up on Netflix?  I found a new hobby to get me through the next few weeks- throwing things away!  I've already done my closet and all of my makeup.  I'm telling myself I'm making it easier to move wherever I end up getting in ?

I’m being the balance in the universe. 

I’ve been hitting up the thrift stores buying the books and treasures that don’t spark joy in others! 

55 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Welp, the fact that I didn't get an interview email from Chicago has officially activated A New Level™ of decision anxiety. Catch me deploying the dubious coping mechanism of reading and rereading Sedgwick for the next several hours while eating cookies!

im running on less than three hours of sleep today but this certainly jolted me awake. 

1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

Welp, off I go to the liquor store lol. Hopefully reading some good ol' Celine or Platonov will make me feel better.

Whilst on that subject, what books do you guys turn to cope with the world?

13 minutes ago, SomeoneAcceptMe said:

what books do you guys turn to cope with the world?

The Winter's Tale, pretty much always

Here is a top-notch full audio production that I have listened to probably five times, including once today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06d27b2

3 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

The Chronicles of Narnia, Matilda, and Harry Potter, my Norton anthologies and Pushcart short story collections, Jane Austen, James Baldwin.

Much to my shame, I've never read James Baldwin! Any suggestions for which of his works I should read first?

Just now, SomeoneAcceptMe said:

Much to my shame, I've never read James Baldwin! Any suggestions for which of his works I should read first?

No shame!  I was able to take a class on his work in undergrad and fell in love.

If Beale Street Could Talk is excellent and there's now a movie on it that I highly recommend.

Giovanni's Room is my favorite, I wrote my undergrad capstone on it, and Go Tell it on the Mountain is excellent (his first novel and semi-autobiographical).  

He also wrote a billion essays which are phenomenal, there's one in particular about his good friend Lorraine Hansberry right after she died called "Sweet Lorraine" that is just lovely.  

2 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

No shame!  I was able to take a class on his work in undergrad and fell in love.

If Beale Street Could Talk is excellent and there's now a movie on it that I highly recommend.

Giovanni's Room is my favorite, I wrote my undergrad capstone on it, and Go Tell it on the Mountain is excellent (his first novel and semi-autobiographical).  

He also wrote a billion essays which are phenomenal, there's one in particular about his good friend Lorraine Hansberry right after she died called "Sweet Lorraine" that is just lovely.  

Thanks for the suggestions! I've heard a lot of people love Giovanni's Room, so maybe I'll start there

55 minutes ago, SomeoneAcceptMe said:

Whilst on that subject, what books do you guys turn to cope with the world?

Tove Janssen’s stories are such a warm, idyllic comfort from the world. (But right now, i’m just playing Florence and the Machine’s Big God on repeat because I’m feeling a bit ghosted by Chicago.)

7 minutes ago, flungoutofspace said:

Tove Janssen’s stories are such a warm, idyllic comfort from the world. (But right now, i’m just playing Florence and the Machine’s Big God on repeat because I’m feeling a bit ghosted by Chicago.)

Omg Florence ❤️ she's my queen

4 hours ago, jadeisokay said:

I totally missed this post. we do appear to be the same person, hah. who you rooting for on sunday? 

def patriots and the saints!  i absolutely hate the chiefs for beating the colts