MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

On 4/10/2019 at 2:30 PM, KGrrr said:

Being on two waitlists at this point in the game is pure torture. I think it means I/we are a great fit for each program but there are snafus keeping us in a holding pattern. I know I have many opportunities beyond or instead of grad school right now-but, damn, this waiting for a likely/uncertain rejection is just brutal!! Sending good vibes to all.

Kgrrr, did you get accepted from Sam Fox?

36 minutes ago, rABiD_kittEn said:

Kgrrr, did you get accepted from Sam Fox?

Hey, congrats! I emailed with them yesterday and was told they are talking to financial aid and will get back to me—but I have not yet received an offer yet, so I have no idea. I am in a similar situation, I would need a lot of funding... I’ll let ya know when I hear for sure. Such a crazy process!

21 minutes ago, KGrrr said:

Hey, congrats! I emailed with them yesterday and was told they are talking to financial aid and will get back to me—but I have not yet received an offer yet, so I have no idea. I am in a similar situation, I would need a lot of funding... I’ll let ya know when I hear for sure. Such a crazy process!

Thank you! I did the exact same thing as you did yesterday, and received the same response. Hopefully your letter is coming soon! 

On 4/14/2019 at 1:22 PM, Pallavi.Daga said:

Is there a procedure for sending a rejection to Pratt? I can't find anything online. Please help.

Just reply to the email stating that you decline the offer.

4 minutes ago, artperson said:

finally got rejected from cu boulder! ? 

CU Boulder's loss. So...you are off to UMass-Dartmouth, congrats again! I am wishing all the luck in the world for you, don't let them change your essence, though. Let it grow grow grow ? I am signing off now, sending good vibes to all. ?

On 4/17/2019 at 1:59 PM, KGrrr said:

On 4/17/2019 at 2:23 PM, rABiD_kittEn said:

Thank you! I did the exact same thing as you did yesterday, and received the same response. Hopefully your letter is coming soon! 

Finally heard back...rejection. Apparently I was towards the bottom of the waitlist, and there was no funding left.

Argh this process...I applied to a total of five schools (max I could afford), interviewed with one (and rejected), waitlisted by two (ultimately rejected)—needing to regroup, wishing I had the money to go sit in a beach somewhere.  

can anyone offer advice in this situation? i accepted a partially funded spot at my first choice last month, and this morning got a fully funded offer from my second choice. i don’t want to burn any bridges, but i also don’t want to amass more debt. at the same time, i really prefer the other program, and am considering taking the risk of pursuing it despite the debt (which isn’t very high all things considered). 

how would you go about this? should i tell the first program’s advisors about the offer and see what they say? i can ask my advisors from undergrad but they’re not really familiar with either program as they are situated in music, so i’m not sure it will do me any good. 

?

I’m currently on waitlist of my 1st choice dream school “A” - 2 yrs program, I’m really hoping to get off the waitlist…but think its very low possibility.

But I need to enroll a school anyway to keep my visa since I’m an international. so, I accepted my 2nd choice school “B” which is 3 yrs program.

If I couldn’t get off the waitlist of “A”, I’m going to attend “B”, but thinking to reapply “A” next year again while attending "B".

I know its not good and uncommon case, but does anyone have or through same situation? so stressful

On 4/25/2019 at 7:52 PM, frank_37246 said:

I’m currently on waitlist of my 1st choice dream school “A” - 2 yrs program, I’m really hoping to get off the waitlist…but think its very low possibility.

But I need to enroll a school anyway to keep my visa since I’m an international. so, I accepted my 2nd choice school “B” which is 3 yrs program.

If I couldn’t get off the waitlist of “A”, I’m going to attend “B”, but thinking to reapply “A” next year again while attending "B".

I know its not good and uncommon case, but does anyone have or through same situation? so stressful

Most places expect you to stay the full two years. If you leave midway, you are effectively wasting a spot that someone else could have taken. Also, I would imagine most places would not even consider you next year if you are already in a program. 

My freak out: How am I going to fund this?

I got accepted to the MFA in Creative Writing program at Oregon State University. It is a Low-Residency program (these are fairly new) which means I can work from anywhere, do most of my writing online, and then twice a year visit the campus and spend about 10 days writing and attending lectures. (yay!) 

Most Low-Residencies while convenient, don't offer full-funding :( 

I'm dying to get my MFA, but have no idea how I'm going to fund the $32K - $51K bill. 

I know something must exist for me out there (Latina, first-gen grad) but I can't find it!

Any suggestions??

On 5/8/2019 at 8:06 PM, ms_poveda said:

My freak out: How am I going to fund this?

I got accepted to the MFA in Creative Writing program at Oregon State University. It is a Low-Residency program (these are fairly new) which means I can work from anywhere, do most of my writing online, and then twice a year visit the campus and spend about 10 days writing and attending lectures. (yay!) 

Most Low-Residencies while convenient, don't offer full-funding :(

I'm dying to get my MFA, but have no idea how I'm going to fund the $32K - $51K bill. 

I know something must exist for me out there (Latina, first-gen grad) but I can't find it!

Any suggestions??

This is the visual arts forum. We would not know about writing programs. :) You should look for the writing forum.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 10:23 PM, Vlad the INpainter said:

Hi everyone, good info. Does anyone have updates, or more recent info, 2019 going into 2020?

What kind of updates/info are you looking for? I applied and got in during the 2019 season. These forums were helpful for my sanity during the application season. One semester down, currently on winter break. Overall I love the program, but the expectations are high and many times here have been stressful. I find it very important to make time for self-care. Keep your home clean and organized, exercise, eat well, maintain some form of social life etc. 

My best advice at this point is to thoroughly check out at each potential program what the graduate faculty’s work is like and how they write about it. If you don’t jive with them, I would highly recommend looking elsewhere. Depending on your situation, it may also be worth waiting until next year if one of your dream/ideal schools passes you up this round instead of going to a backup that you aren’t thrilled about. 

Feel free to ask me any questions about my experience so far.