MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

1 hour ago, caoyue said:

Hey guys have anyone received an interview request from MCAD? Plus so far I've applied to 8 schools and received one admission, which is from RIT.

Hey! Which are the programs you've applied for?

3 hours ago, MFApainting2019 said:

hey guys I wonder what it means if the interviewer only had a VERY casual chat with you (cities you lived in, cities you used to live in, what to do after graduate...) and asked only ONE question about your works?

Although I understand that a 20 min interview is just too short to cover many things... Is it a bad sign coz it shows he's not that into your practice or something??

I'm very worried because this is my dream school...

No, not a bad thing. Different schools interview differently. Also I’ve heard that if a school offers you an interview they think that your work fits for the program and the interview is to see if your personality fits. 

2 hours ago, caoyue said:

Hey friend may I ask which school are you applying for?

1 hour ago, Pallavi.Daga said:

I don't think that's a bad thing, otherwise they wouldn't have invited you for an interview. Maybe they just wanted an extra insight about your personality. Would like to know which school is this, though?

It's for SVA Fine Arts.

48 minutes ago, henryfive said:

No, not a bad thing. Different schools interview differently. Also I’ve heard that if a school offers you an interview they think that your work fits for the program and the interview is to see if your personality fits. 

Thanks for reassuring!

But I also wonder what may cause one to fail an interview? to me the 'personality' thing is rather subjective ?

like Yale - only a small portion of their interviewees will be admitted...

Surely they look at other things. But I am just curious if anyone has any ideas about what these "other things" are?

Edited by MFApainting2019

18 hours ago, Pallavi.Daga said:

Hey, do you know anyone else as well applying to graphic design in the same schools as us? Might help to get a better insight.

the two of us and I think I saw maybe like  2 other people in this thread say they were applying for graphic design, there are prob a few others I didn’t notice.

59 minutes ago, MFApainting2019 said:

It's for SVA Fine Arts.

Thanks for reassuring!

But I also wonder what may cause one to fail an interview? to me the 'personality' thing is rather subjective ?

like Yale - only a small portion of their interviewees will be admitted...

Surely they look at other things. But I am just curious if anyone has any ideas about what these "other things" are?

I agree with what others have said about getting a feel for your personality. My interview at SU last year was very similar, but went well from my perspective. I was a nervous wreck for my interviews but found that one to be oddly not so uncomfortable as the rest. I got in, and have been working very closely with the professor that interviewed me. We just clicked. 

Admittedly yes, there is some level of subjectivity.

On a slightly broader scale, and I can't speak for all schools, there is an importance on building a cohort, so when making decisions there will be consideration about which applicants will work well with other applicants. 

I just got an interview request for SAIC! I won't lie, I cried. I had completely given up on Grad school this round. 

Editing to say that its for the Art and Tech department!

Edited by acs000

1 hour ago, Kvir said:

I agree with what others have said about getting a feel for your personality. My interview at SU last year was very similar, but went well from my perspective. I was a nervous wreck for my interviews but found that one to be oddly not so uncomfortable as the rest. I got in, and have been working very closely with the professor that interviewed me. We just clicked. 

Admittedly yes, there is some level of subjectivity.

On a slightly broader scale, and I can't speak for all schools, there is an importance on building a cohort, so when making decisions there will be consideration about which applicants will work well with other applicants. 

Thanks for sharing!

2 hours ago, Aatt said:

the two of us and I think I saw maybe like  2 other people in this thread say they were applying for graphic design, there are prob a few others I didn’t notice.

It's so heartbreaking that we're the only ones who are not hearing or have no clue about what's up with SAIC!

1 minute ago, arusse said:

In the mail?! What is this 1982?! I wouldn't be surprised if some letters are delayed due to the PoLaR VoRtEx. ?️ Also - CONGRATS!!

Yeah, wait wtf? That's bizarre of them. Why not just email or call?

18 minutes ago, kitkat414 said:

Has anyone heard from Yale yet? 

Decisions should be sent at the end of today's business day (info from an email I received from their school a few days before the deadline, because I hadn't submitted my application at that point and it offered helpful insights about the process, including the interview decision date). 

5 minutes ago, Bodys said:

Yeah, wait wtf? That's bizarre of them. Why not just email or call?

I would say it's probably a departmental thing. I think people said SAIC Painting got calls, someone in another department (fashion??) got emails. I believe acs0000 applied for new media.

My big question is - why not use the pony express or owl? Just imagine a dusty acceptance letter with weather worn edges showing up at your door in the claws of an owl. Great publicity.

6 minutes ago, arusse said:

I would say it's probably a departmental thing. I think people said SAIC Painting got calls, someone in another department (fashion??) got emails. I believe acs0000 applied for new media.

My big question is - why not use the pony express or owl? Just imagine a dusty acceptance letter with weather worn edges showing up at your door in the claws of an owl. Great publicity.

I applied to Art and Technology and find it kind of hilarious they used ....... not technology to inform me. A little tongue in cheek maybe?

8 hours ago, MFApainting2019 said:

hey guys I wonder what it means if the interviewer only had a VERY casual chat with you (cities you lived in, cities you used to live in, what to do after graduate...) and asked only ONE question about your works?

Although I understand that a 20 min interview is just too short to cover many things... Is it a bad sign coz it shows he's not that into your practice or something??

I'm very worried because this is my dream school...

When was your SVA interview? 

17 minutes ago, arusse said:

So basically, I might just get a mail after the department interviews are over cause I live in India. ?

18 minutes ago, arusse said:

I'm sure departments do it differently and probably differently for different people. But for posterity my (painting) interview invitation came via email with a note that said a physical invitation was also being mailed. Could be worth checking your spam folder, just in case.

53 minutes ago, E-6_Processing said:

Decisions should be sent at the end of today's business day (info from an email I received from their school a few days before the deadline, because I hadn't submitted my application at that point and it offered helpful insights about the process, including the interview decision date). 

Hows your experience with applying to Bard been? (The Bard ICP program?)