MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

16 hours ago, justaylor said:

I still haven’t heard anything from anyone so not feeling super great ? 

huge congrats to everyone who has or has had interviews! I hope everything goes your way! :) 

Don’t give up hope yet we are still at the very beginning of this! 

27 minutes ago, Karisjns said:

Did anyone else apply to any places with a Feburary 1st deadline? I'm not excited for a second round of waiting lol

I'm waiting on CCCAD, Colorado State, U of Wisconsin - Milkwaukee and MECA that were all due on the 1st.

I applied to a few schools with a February 1st deadline. Makes it so much longer to wait ),: 

28 minutes ago, Karisjns said:

Did anyone else apply to any places with a Feburary 1st deadline? I'm not excited for a second round of waiting lol

I'm waiting on CCCAD, Colorado State, U of Wisconsin - Milkwaukee and MECA that were all due on the 1st.

Yeah I had one due feb 1 and in other extend their deadline to feb 1 

51 minutes ago, Karisjns said:

I applied to one, maybe two?, with a Feb 15th deadline. The waiting is going to kill me.

13 hours ago, Meaou said:

Do you by any chance know if your friend received funding info from CalArts around that time too or did it come later? ?

I can't be totally sure! She was waitlisted then accepted so her timeline may be different than the norm. But she did receive a nice package!

Kudos to all of you with schools with later deadlines or just later responses - 3/6 of the schools I applied to are accounted for (one interview, two rejections) and I'm still going crazy waiting for the remaining 3!  Super thankful for being able to hear from all of you.  

1 hour ago, Karisjns said:

Yeah, even UIC had a Feb 1st deadline!

29 minutes ago, Hollyknox said:

has anyone heard back from rutgers goldsmiths or columbia? 

I did a little digging through previous forums and I’m thinking we may hear from Rutgers this week sometime. Last couple years it was right around the 9th or 10th of Feb - so maybe this Friday?!? Their interview day is March 1st so I can’t imagine they make us wait much longer, especially for those who will have to travel.

To anyone who has interviewed (anywhere), what were some questions you were asked? I'm trying to prep a little bit for my interview at SAIC and I have no idea what to expect.

10 minutes ago, acs000 said:

To anyone who has interviewed (anywhere), what were some questions you were asked? I'm trying to prep a little bit for my interview at SAIC and I have no idea what to expect.

Here's a list of sample interview questions UofM included in their email to me.  Most of them of pretty general so hopefully they're helpful! 

1. Why are you getting an MFA, and in particular why did you apply to UofM?

2. Tell us why you want to be an artist?

3. What is the main topic/question of inquiry/research question you are trying to unpack while at UofM?

4. The U of M is a tier one research university, many of our departments and schools are the top-ranked programs in the country. Could you expand on your thoughts about interacting with other units/departments on campus?

5. What role does research play in making your artwork?

6. What do you believe is the role of Art and/or Artist in the 21st century? Where do you think Art and its practice is headed in the 21st century? How do you see your own work in relation to the 21st century?

7. The Stamps school of A&D is committed to community outreach and engagement, we have programs with healthcare, public schools, animal shelters to name a few. Do you have experience or interest in these connections?

8. The international travel experience is an important part of our graduate program. How would the international project inform your work, your research?

9. What are your plans or thoughts after receiving an MFA?

10. Tell us about your exhibition experience. Do you want to exhibit or do you see alternate ways to distribute your work?

11. What are recent exhibitions you have seen that you have interested you and why? What artists do you admire?

12. Tell us about something you’ve read (could be a theory, fiction, or news) that has had an impact on you?

13. Have you had experience teaching, do you have an interest in teaching after your degree?

14. Tell us a little about yourself and your interests (cooking, sports, etc) a memorable personal experience that has inspired you.

48 minutes ago, chz&pcake said:

Here's a list of sample interview questions UofM included in their email to me.  Most of them of pretty general so hopefully they're helpful! 

1. Why are you getting an MFA, and in particular why did you apply to UofM?

2. Tell us why you want to be an artist?

3. What is the main topic/question of inquiry/research question you are trying to unpack while at UofM?

4. The U of M is a tier one research university, many of our departments and schools are the top-ranked programs in the country. Could you expand on your thoughts about interacting with other units/departments on campus?

5. What role does research play in making your artwork?

6. What do you believe is the role of Art and/or Artist in the 21st century? Where do you think Art and its practice is headed in the 21st century? How do you see your own work in relation to the 21st century?

7. The Stamps school of A&D is committed to community outreach and engagement, we have programs with healthcare, public schools, animal shelters to name a few. Do you have experience or interest in these connections?

8. The international travel experience is an important part of our graduate program. How would the international project inform your work, your research?

9. What are your plans or thoughts after receiving an MFA?

10. Tell us about your exhibition experience. Do you want to exhibit or do you see alternate ways to distribute your work?

11. What are recent exhibitions you have seen that you have interested you and why? What artists do you admire?

12. Tell us about something you’ve read (could be a theory, fiction, or news) that has had an impact on you?

13. Have you had experience teaching, do you have an interest in teaching after your degree?

14. Tell us a little about yourself and your interests (cooking, sports, etc) a memorable personal experience that has inspired you.

So did you interview for Michigan yet? They are one of my top schools because of their focus on research, I still haven’t heard anything though. I did apply as an interdisciplinary artist with no specific focus. 

1 hour ago, acs000 said:

This is what I was asked for Portland State's interview for MFA in Studio Practice:

Why do you want to go to graduate school? Why now?

Are you open to experimenting and breaking out of your comfort zone with your work?

Can you tell me about your current creative concepts?

Where do you see your art progressing in the future?

Are there any projects, books or films that have inspired you and your work?

What contemporary artists are you interested right now?

Why have you chosen to apply to this institution/program?

Are you open to working on projects outside of the University?

They also opened the floor to any questions that I had for them.

Hope this is helpful!

30 minutes ago, Karisjns said:

This is what I was asked for Portland State's interview for MFA in Studio Practice:

Why do you want to go to graduate school? Why now?

Are you open to experimenting and breaking out of your comfort zone with your work?

Can you tell me about your current creative concepts?

Where do you see your art progressing in the future?

Are there any projects, books or films that have inspired you and your work?

What contemporary artists are you interested right now?

Why have you chosen to apply to this institution/program?

Are you open to working on projects outside of the University?

They also opened the floor to any questions that I had for them.

Hope this is helpful!

Thank you!! I wonder how long did the interview take?

2 hours ago, chz&pcake said:

@justaylor I interview tomorrow. Its possible they're staggering interviews- I'm still waiting to hear back either way from 4 out of the 6 schools I applied to so I think we're still in the early stages. 

Yeah I still have no huge feelings either way on acceptance or rejection. Though almost all of their interview questions I touched on in my application and I noted a couple of faculty members from the neuropsychology department as researchers I would like to observe and learn from. I love UM because of their focus on research and its very true to my work currently in psychology and gender. So admittedly I do feel a little better about my fit in their program and them recognizing that through those prompts they gave you. Hopefully Im not totally misreading them. haha I still feel okay. 

So Im probably just chomping at the bit over here but I just got an email from UCI saying this :

The University of California, Irvine Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships has received your 2019-20 financial aid application information.  You will be receiving more detailed information regarding your application in the near future.

In the meantime, if you have not already done so, we encourage you to activate your UCInetID so you may access your financial aid file and information regarding your application.  You will need your UCI Student Identification Number which is: (redacted)

- To activate your UCInetID, visit and click on "Student Applicants."
- Enter the requested information.

We look forward to assisting you in the financial aid process and encourage you to explore the many resources we have on our website.  

Sincerely,

Being that this is the first formal contact I´ve had with any of my schools I know Im probably over analyzing but, thoughts?