Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

18 hours ago, Neurophilic said:

I'm glad to see the Canadian post! This really helped last year. Best of luck everyone :)

I think people are now busy preparing the application. The Dec deadline is approaching! We will need more support during the waiting time :)

Hello Everyone,

I'm applying to UBC and I have a question about the deadline of the reference letter. On the website it says:

• December 1 (for all required documents, excluding letters of reference)
  • December 15 (for letters of reference only)

However, when I filled in my referees' info in the online application form, it also says something like "the school will start review applications on Dec. 3 although references are due on Dec 15th". What exactly does it mean? is there a real difference between submitting all my references before the 3rd and before the 15th?

20 minutes ago, SunnySet said:

What exactly does it mean? is there a real difference between submitting all my references before the 3rd and before the 15th?

I'm pretty sure programs can start reviewing any completed applications before their "hard" deadline while they wait for "incomplete" applications to receive all documents they're waiting on.

2 minutes ago, TrindStarr said:

I'm pretty sure programs can start reviewing any completed applications before their "hard" deadline while they wait for "incomplete" applications to receive all documents they're waiting on.

Thanks TrindStarr. So I guess my application won't be disadvantaged if the references came in right before it due?

Hello everyone, I hope your applications are almost done! I have a quick question: does ETS mail test results through Canada Post? Given the Canada post strike and the huge backlog, I worry it will take a long time for the results to be received by recipients schools!

1 hour ago, SunnySet said:

Hello everyone, I hope your applications are almost done! I have a quick question: does ETS mail test results through Canada Post? Given the Canada post strike and the huge backlog, I worry it will take a long time for the results to be received by recipients schools!

I believe they do, via USPS. If you're worried, contact the departments at the schools that you're applying at to let them know the official scores may be delayed. 

3 hours ago, SunnySet said:

Some schools have a subscription for electronic score delivery through a data manager or server feed, so they receive scores immediately - [Link]. I think McGill and UofT have it for sure, given that they recognized my scores on the same day they were released. So you can ask about that, but regardless I think there will be accommodations this year for official transcripts and GRE scores given the postal strikes. I have been told by a couple of schools (OISE, UCalgary) that they would never not accept an application due to missing "official" copies of transcripts/GRE scores. 

On 11/28/2018 at 12:49 PM, SunnySet said:

Hi SunnySet! 

I contacted the university I am applying to and trust me, everyone is having this problem. I wrote my GRE in October and it took my official scores more than a month to arrive. Your best bet is to send them an unofficial copy, and let them know the official scores are on the way!

On 11/30/2018 at 10:49 AM, mdmhfx said:

Hi SunnySet! 

I contacted the university I am applying to and trust me, everyone is having this problem. I wrote my GRE in October and it took my official scores more than a month to arrive. Your best bet is to send them an unofficial copy, and let them know the official scores are on the way!

Hi mdmhfx

Thanks for the information! I did email my schools my unofficial GRE report. Most schools are fine, just one school mentioned that as long as it was received before the new year, it would be fine. Mine was sent out on Nov. 21st, hopefully it will be received in the next two weeks. I don't know why it takes ETS so long, maybe the strike does have a influence. 

4 hours ago, higaisha said:

Navigating Queen's form was such a headache, christ! Just realized I left out a conference abstract, why didn't they just let us upload materials from pdf -.- sigh

I totally feel you. It's the only school that has character limit... I spent so much time to shorten my statement and publications. I wonder did you get your GRE official results in?

7 hours ago, SunnySet said:

I totally feel you. It's the only school that has character limit... I spent so much time to shorten my statement and publications. I wonder did you get your GRE official results in?

Nah man, submitted around the same time as you, so if its by print, don't think any of my schools will get 'em soon. Unofficial is good enough, as people have said, not having in official scores at this time isn't that big of a problem.

19 hours ago, higaisha said:

Navigating Queen's form was such a headache, christ! Just realized I left out a conference abstract, why didn't they just let us upload materials from pdf -.- sigh

I called the admission office a while ago and they said they only receive GRE results in print, not electronically. How did you submit your GRE unofficial scores? I didn't find anywhere I can upload it. 

3 hours ago, SunnySet said:

I called the admission office a while ago and they said they only receive GRE results in print, not electronically. How did you submit your GRE unofficial scores? I didn't find anywhere I can upload it. 

All the schools had a place in the web form for the PDF format GRE score summary, available in your ETS account

8 hours ago, higaisha said:

All the schools had a place in the web form for the PDF format GRE score summary, available in your ETS account

I didn't find the place to upload GRE scores for Queens. I ended up sending it directly to the graduate coordinator. 

2 hours ago, Neurophilic said:

Anyone else found the CGS-M application to be extremely difficult when you have no idea what your project will be? ? 

Hey its over now, so you're free ;) pps you're not held to your idea, you can just make one up.

Hi guys - anyone else suffering from GradCafe-induced stress? Now that many of my apps are submitted I am torn on lurking the forums, despite doing so daily lately. On the one hand its nice to have the support of others that are going through the same thing, but on the other I find it can increase my anxiety levels depending on what the posts are about. What are you guys doing to cope with the waiting period?

1 minute ago, dougie said:

Hi guys - anyone else suffering from GradCafe-induced stress? Now that many of my apps are submitted I am torn on lurking the forums, despite doing so daily lately. On the one hand its nice to have the support of others that are going through the same thing, but on the other I find it can increase my anxiety levels depending on what the posts are about. What are you guys doing to cope with the waiting period?

I feel this - I debated for a long time whether I even wanted to start an account on here, it felt like a slippery slope! I try to "monitor" myself and if I feel like I am getting anxious, I completely remove myself off the forums for a bit by going for a run or reading a book with my phone far out of reach, etc. However, I am finishing up my last undergrad semester right now so I also feel like that's a good distraction - when I'm done next week, the temptation to lurk on here will be even stronger!

6 minutes ago, rainydaychai said:

I feel this - I debated for a long time whether I even wanted to start an account on here, it felt like a slippery slope! I try to "monitor" myself and if I feel like I am getting anxious, I completely remove myself off the forums for a bit by going for a run or reading a book with my phone far out of reach, etc. However, I am finishing up my last undergrad semester right now so I also feel like that's a good distraction - when I'm done next week, the temptation to lurk on here will be even stronger!

Self-monitoring is a good idea, maybe I'll put a time limit or check limit on myself. I've also been going for walks without my phone or trying to read physical/books magazines to avoid being tied to my email and feeling my heart rate jump every time I get a notification! Good luck with finishing off the semester :) 

39 minutes ago, dougie said:

Positively reinforcing time spent anywhere but grad cafe :)

if you're at peace with the outcome of your work, there's no reason to be anxious. Accept that you have done the best that you could this year, and that if the process doesn't go as planned, you can take another stab at it next year!

Hello everyone, 

I'm going to quit gradcafe forum. I realize not all people post truthful information and it's frustrating and misleading. For my peace of mind, I'm going to quit to stop seeking comfort and boosting my ego by comparing to others. The application process is stressful already. This is an additional stressor in my life.  I don't want to completely discredit this forum because it is still very helpful to an extent. There are still people who offer constructive advice. Nevertheless, I don't think it worths my time and energy. So Good Bye. All the best to your application.