Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

7 minutes ago, SunnySet said:

Hello everyone, 

I'm going to quit gradcafe forum. I realize not all people post truthful information and it's frustrating and misleading. For my peace of mind, I'm going to quit to stop seeking comfort and boosting my ego by comparing to others. The application process is stressful already. This is an additional stressor in my life.  I don't want to completely discredit this forum because it is still very helpful to an extent. There are still people who offer constructive advice. Nevertheless, I don't think it worths my time and energy. So Good Bye. All the best to your application. 

Aw, hope to see you back! Take care of yourself.

Submitted all my applications! I now waiting for two references and a GRE report to come in. I start feeling impatient now. Hopefully I will hear from schools near the end of Dec. In the other Psychology APP thread, people are already receiving interview request. That's so fast! Mine was just submitted ...... and some are not even under review

19 hours ago, JoyJoy said:

Submitted all my applications! I now waiting for two references and a GRE report to come in. I start feeling impatient now. Hopefully I will hear from schools near the end of Dec. In the other Psychology APP thread, people are already receiving interview request. That's so fast! Mine was just submitted ...... and some are not even under review

American schools are a lot faster at sending out interview requests than Canadian schools. In my last application cycle, I received most of my interview requests for the American schools by mid-December, whereas I didn't hear at all from Canadian schools until into the new year. 

On 12/4/2018 at 5:26 PM, JoyJoy said:

It's not impossible to hear by the end of Dec., but it's pretty unlikely! Interview invites in Canada usually start going out in early/mid January, and then can keep going on until April (though the later it gets, the less likely it is you'll get an interview).

Last year I had 2 interviews in February and 1 in March (the March one was the one I was eventually accepted to!) it really depends on the POI and when they and the decision committee gets around to making the first round of cuts (for people who don't meet the minimum criteria). 

Good luck- try not to spend your holidays stressing, as hard as that may be! :)

Hi everyone,

I also submitted all my applications. Kind of anticlimactic to have put in all that crazy work and just wait! I also applied for SSHRC and scholarships, so fingers are crossed for those as well. I applied to 4 Canadian schools primarily based on match with a PI. No word back yet, but I don't expect anything until after the new year. I think (maybe) those hearing back already applied to American institutions and not Canadian, but I also have heard of some PI's doing a quick phone interview on their own before then. I wouldn't worry about not hearing back until February or so though. 

On 12/4/2018 at 11:40 PM, SunnySet said:

Hello everyone, 

I'm going to quit gradcafe forum. I realize not all people post truthful information and it's frustrating and misleading. For my peace of mind, I'm going to quit to stop seeking comfort and boosting my ego by comparing to others. The application process is stressful already. This is an additional stressor in my life.  I don't want to completely discredit this forum because it is still very helpful to an extent. There are still people who offer constructive advice. Nevertheless, I don't think it worths my time and energy. So Good Bye. All the best to your application. 

Wow.. sad to see you go. I just don't understand, what could people on here be misleading about? I usually give credit to most info on here (maybe I'm too naive), since it's all anonymous. As in, I don't understand what someone could gain from posting not so truthful information on gradcafe. Again, I'm sorry you've had this experience.

11 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

Wow.. sad to see you go. I just don't understand, what could people on here be misleading about? I usually give credit to most info on here (maybe I'm too naive), since it's all anonymous. As in, I don't understand what someone could gain from posting not so truthful information on gradcafe. Again, I'm sorry you've had this experience.

Not sure if this is what Sunnyset was referring to, but apparently people lie on here about getting interviews/acceptances, for whatever reason. A poster in the US Psych thread said someone posted that they got an interview with her lab director, who wasn't even accepting students that year (which I suppose could also be a lie...). Another reason not to put too much stock in the "Results" tab.

13 hours ago, dougie said:

Not sure if this is what Sunnyset was referring to, but apparently people lie on here about getting interviews/acceptances, for whatever reason. A poster in the US Psych thread said someone posted that they got an interview with her lab director, who wasn't even accepting students that year (which I suppose could also be a lie...). Another reason not to put too much stock in the "Results" tab.

Oh, I see. 

I agree that the forum can be a bit stressful at times. However, since most people in my life have trouble understanding this experience (since they've never been through anything similar), I personally find a lot of comfort through the sharing on here. Someone mentioned in another thread how they couldn't stop re-reading their SOPs and I could related to that feeling so much. I was glad I wasn't alone in this and going slightly crazy :) And I appreciate that we can often provide much needed perspective to one another. 

Good luck everyone with your applications and please remember to take care of yourself as well!

Hi everyone!

Longtime lurker here on this website, decided to finally make an account so I can contribute any info if I can or ask questions! I'm applying to both clinical and counseling MA/Ph.D programs across Canada, and currently finishing up uni down in the states. Has anyone heard back from schools with Dec. 1 deadlines? I know my friend applied to Dal and already completed a preliminary interview last week, but I didn't apply there. I haven't heard anything from anyone else though! 

1 hour ago, kcm97 said:

Hi everyone!

Longtime lurker here on this website, decided to finally make an account so I can contribute any info if I can or ask questions! I'm applying to both clinical and counseling MA/Ph.D programs across Canada, and currently finishing up uni down in the states. Has anyone heard back from schools with Dec. 1 deadlines? I know my friend applied to Dal and already completed a preliminary interview last week, but I didn't apply there. I haven't heard anything from anyone else though! 

wow! That was fast. I applied to Queen's which has a Dec. 1 deadline but haven't heard anything yet.

All the best to your app!

2 hours ago, kcm97 said:

Hi everyone!

I wouldn't worry! I'm currently finishing up my undergrad at a Canadian university that I'm applying back to for the doctoral program, and when talking with a supervisor she said that they don't even look at applications here until the new year. I think some universities in the states move really fast!

2 hours ago, kcm97 said:

Hi everyone!

It will vary by institution and by supervisor. I have heard of supervisors personally contacting applicants very soon after the deadline, but other PI's from the same institution not contacting anyone until the new year. So, even if you hear of someone else getting contacted personally, don't assume that is bad news for you! I applied to one program with a Nov 15th deadline and 3 others with Dec 1 deadlines and haven't heard from either yet. I don't really expect to until the New Year, but waiting is definitely hard!

Edited by chopper.wife

Hi All,

All my GRE official scores are received by the recipient schools. Finally! They were sent out around Nov. 20. It's about 20 days, not too bad. 

Now, I'm waiting for one more reference letter to come in, the school deadline is Dec. 15. After Dec. 15, I will start enjoying my holiday and worry about all this in Jan. 

18 hours ago, JoyJoy said:

Hi All,

All my GRE official scores are received by the recipient schools. Finally! They were sent out around Nov. 20. It's about 20 days, not too bad. 

Now, I'm waiting for one more reference letter to come in, the school deadline is Dec. 15. After Dec. 15, I will start enjoying my holiday and worry about all this in Jan. 

Oddly enough, we submitted around the same day but mine got to schools at Nov 30th...weird ETS. 

Anyone else jealous at the fast pace of the American schools? LOL I need a christmas miracle for these interview offers maaaan LOL

Hello folks!

Our thread is very quiet! I guess we will probably hear back from Canadian schools in early Jan. 

Anyone think it's possible to get any responses before Christmas? 

I wonder for those who know about the preliminary interviewing process, will the POI call you without prior notice? I was panic these days whenever my phone rang with an unknown caller ID and then I found that it was just a scam call... LOL... It would be much better if I could receive notice about any upcoming calls regarding interviews! Email is even better. I just generally don't like answering phone calls.

Edited by FallGO

11 hours ago, FallGO said:

Hello folks!

Our thread is very quiet! I guess we will probably hear back from Canadian schools in early Jan. 

I wonder for those who know about the preliminary interviewing process, will the POI call you without prior notice? I was panic these days whenever my phone rang with an unknown caller ID and then I found that it was just a scam call... LOL... It would be much better if I could receive notice about any upcoming calls regarding interviews! Email is even better. I just generally don't like answering phone calls.

I checked the Results section for previous years for all of my programs (see my signature), and only UVic and Dalhousie have any history of sending out December invites; lots of their invites came in January as well though. So I think we're all going to be waiting for another few weeks! 

To me, it looked like notification emails were the most popular communication method by far. Plus, if you don't pick up the phone, I assume they would leave a message and you could call them back later. 

11 hours ago, FallGO said:

Hello folks!

Gotta admit... whenever I see that this thread has a recent post, I get mildly afraid people are being contacted! 

From those I have spoken with who are either in clinical programs currently, or made it through interviews last year, most POIs don't call out of the blue. Realistically, if they did, you would be completely in your right to let them know you are currently busy and make a plan to reschedule an interview. Alternatively, let unknown calls go to voicemail. I don't think that would hurt your chances of getting in to a program, and if it did, I would question whether you even wanted to work with someone who expects you to interview on the spot without notice and penalizes you if you are busy. 

Edited by chopper.wife
typo

31 minutes ago, chopper.wife said:

Gotta admit... whenever I see that this thread has a recent post, I get mildly afraid people are being contacted! 

From those I have spoken with who are either in clinical programs currently, or made it through interviews last year, most POIs don't call out of the blue. Realistically, if they did, you would be completely in your right to let them know you are currently busy and make a plan to reschedule an interview. Alternatively, let unknown calls go to voicemail. I don't think that would hurt your chances of getting in to a program, and if it did, I would question whether you even wanted to work with someone who expects you to interview on the spot without notice and penalizes you if you are busy. 

55 minutes ago, dougie said:

I checked the Results section for previous years for all of my programs (see my signature), and only UVic and Dalhousie have any history of sending out December invites; lots of their invites came in January as well though. So I think we're all going to be waiting for another few weeks! 

To me, it looked like notification emails were the most popular communication method by far. Plus, if you don't pick up the phone, I assume they would leave a message and you could call them back later. 

Hello guys! 

Thank you for your comfort! It helps :) I really want to enjoy my Christmas and then think about all this in the New Year.

You guys all make good points! I feel better now

Good Luck to us & Merry Christmas ;)

Does anyone contact their POI after submitting your application to let them know? I have a feeling this question was already posted but I can't find it. 

Edited by Neurophilic

35 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

Does anyone contact their POI after submitting your application to let them know? I have a feeling this question was already posted but I can't find it. 

I haven't yet, but plan to only let one of them know in January about my submission because, when I had e-mailed him initially, he told me to email him in mid January to "alert him" to my file. Which, now that I am typing this and processing the info, likely means I won't hear back from this particular program until mid-January or later... blah

2 hours ago, Neurophilic said:

I personally don't think it's necessary. I think schools have a specific procedure of creating a short list and then the professor will contact the applicants on the shortlist. 

4 hours ago, Neurophilic said:

I did, a POI wanted my materials via email to review in advance, but he reached out in December after initial contact in October. I sent the email to everyone I had prior contact with right after I submitted,  two were positive, one didn't reply and one told me he'd review all materials given they met cutoffs. 

I gauged this following my initial contact, most of which was in the summer so I thought it'd make sense to offer a reminder. Also, whoever were more chatty were also nicer on follow-ups and people who really didn't give much more than a "yes im accepting, looking forward to your app blahblah" are those that probably aren't worth contacting as they'll initiate contact with you if they're interested. Just my experience, small sample size, poor external validity  ;--)

Edited by higaisha

22 hours ago, higaisha said:

I did, a POI wanted my materials via email to review in advance, but he reached out in December after initial contact in October. I sent the email to everyone I had prior contact with right after I submitted,  two were positive, one didn't reply and one told me he'd review all materials given they met cutoffs. 

I gauged this following my initial contact, most of which was in the summer so I thought it'd make sense to offer a reminder. Also, whoever were more chatty were also nicer on follow-ups and people who really didn't give much more than a "yes im accepting, looking forward to your app blahblah" are those that probably aren't worth contacting as they'll initiate contact with you if they're interested. Just my experience, small sample size, poor external validity  ;--)

I think I’ll contact those who I’ve already held a conversation with. I did so for one POI and it was an extremely positive response!! 

Got an email from Queen's saying my GRE score wasn't submitted and that I have to submit before tomorrow. I was like ?????? uhhh pretty sure i submitted an unofficial AND official report so i just reattached my score report.

It means that app review is happening soon tho LOLOL! Get excited