Fall 2019 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants!

FallGO

York's unique in that they automatically consider you for OGS if you submit CGS-M, so there isn't really a separate application for that. Im guessing Dal and UOttawa are the same? Ryerson wanted me to wait until shortlist to start the application, and other schools have much later deadlines so im like ??? lol wtf

18 minutes ago, higaisha said:

York's unique in that they automatically consider you for OGS if you submit CGS-M, so there isn't really a separate application for that. Im guessing Dal and UOttawa are the same? Ryerson wanted me to wait until shortlist to start the application, and other schools have much later deadlines so im like ??? lol wtf

I thought for Ryerson you are automatically considered for OGS with the application documents you have already submitted (if admitted)? York is automatic in a sense, but you still have to submit a separate form. I wish all schools used your CGS-M as OGS lol. 

First interview offer!

School: Queen's University

Type: MSc/PhD Clinical Psychology

Date of Invite: Jan 3rd, 2018

Type of invite: Email from POI for Skype/phone interview

Interview date(s): The week of 1/7/19

POI: pm me

One odd thing that my POI mentioned is that Queen's does not do in person interviews. From what I understand, they do a brief Skype interview, make decisions, invite successful candidates to an open house and from there applicants can decide? I'm kind of unsure how their process goes, but if you got a Skype interview seems you made it into the deep shortlist. 

Edited by higaisha

3 minutes ago, higaisha said:

First interview offer!

Type of invite: Email from POI for Skype/phone interview

POI: dm me for info so we don't swarm the thread

One odd thing that my POI mentioned is that Queen's does not do in person interviews. From what I understand, they do a brief Skype interview, make decisions, invite successful candidates to an open house and from there applicants can decide? I'm kind of unsure how their process goes, but if you got a Skype interview seems you made it into the deep shortlist. 

Wooot congrats!! Best of luck :)

7 minutes ago, higaisha said:

First interview offer!

Type of invite: Email from POI for Skype/phone interview

POI: pm me

Congrats !!!

Just got my first interview offer as well!!

Date of Invite: January 3rd, 2018

Type of invite: Email from POI for an in-person interview (I work in their lab)

Happy to DM details to anyone who's curious! My POI also said that they would like to do an in-person interview and then all successful candidates are invited to an open house. Kind of nervous considering I've worked in his/her lab for the year, haha don't know what to expect in the interview... 

4 minutes ago, ventiamericano said:

Just got my first interview offer as well!!

Date of Invite: January 3rd, 2018

Type of invite: Email from POI for an in-person interview (I work in their lab)

Happy to DM details to anyone who's curious! My POI also said that they would like to do an in-person interview and then all successful candidates are invited to an open house. Kind of nervous considering I've worked in his/her lab for the year, haha don't know what to expect in the interview... 

Woo! Congratulations! Looks like Queens is going out today. :)

Could you PM me your poi please? 

Edited by Cloverheads

Good luck to everyone who has an interview coming up--and for those who are still waiting, don't lose hope yet :) 

I found this while checking out the 2018 threads, and found these to be similar to the questions I was asked in my interview. Clinical Psychology Potential Interview Questions: http://www2.tulane.edu/sse/psyc/news-and-events/archive/upload/InterviewQuestions.pdf Thought this might be a good starting point!

5 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

Good luck to everyone who has an interview coming up--and for those who are still waiting, don't lose hope yet :) 

I found this while checking out the 2018 threads, and found these to be similar to the questions I was asked in my interview. Clinical Psychology Potential Interview Questions: http://www2.tulane.edu/sse/psyc/news-and-events/archive/upload/InterviewQuestions.pdf Thought this might be a good starting point!

This is a fabulous list - thanks for circulating!!

Any fellow SFU applicants frantically checking e-mails?? :)

From the looks of the past few years, it seems like invites go out around the 4th or 5th of January for interviews! Just wondering if anyone has heard anything?

4 minutes ago, canadianpsych said:

From the looks of the past few years, it seems like invites go out around the 4th or 5th of January for interviews! Just wondering if anyone has heard anything?

I’m thinking/hoping for next week, since last year the first week of January was basically a full week back (if that makes sense)!

Edited by chopper.wife

20 minutes ago, canadianpsych said:

Yes! I actually just completed my undergrad there and have close ties with lots of faculty, especially forensic - if anyone has any questions about any aspect of the program please feel free to DM me! I was just on the phone with an undergrad PI that is involved in the admissions process this morning and she let me know that they do not even have a shortlist of candidates to interview yet and they definitely won't be sending invites out until late next week. So don't worry! ?

Edited by rainydaychai

8 minutes ago, rainydaychai said:

Yes! I actually just completed my undergrad there and have close ties with lots of faculty, especially forensic - if anyone has any questions about any aspect of the program please feel free to email me! I was just on the phone with an undergrad PI that is involved in the admissions process this morning and she let me know that they do not even have a shortlist of candidates to interview yet and they definitely won't be sending invites out until late next week. So don't worry! ?

YOU ARE A HERO<3 Thank you so much for this - you totally just eased my mind! Great to hear, and hopefully we'll hear back next week! 

5 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

School: University of Calgary

Date of Invite: January 4/19

Type of invite: Email from POI for Skype/phone interview

Interview date(s): Tomorrow LOL or early next week

You’re on a roll!! I wish the schools I applied to were this quick ?

11 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

Tomorrow LOL or early next week

I was vaguely wondering earlier today if someone would ever ask to schedule an interview this soon after an invitation, and you've gone and confirmed it!  Congratulations on your interview, and best of luck!

17 minutes ago, Neurophilic said:

You’re on a roll!! I wish the schools I applied to were this quick ?

Haha thank you ❤️ Crossing my fingers for yaa :) 

10 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I was vaguely wondering earlier today if someone would ever ask to schedule an interview this soon after an invitation, and you've gone and confirmed it!  Congratulations on your interview, and best of luck!

LOL the POI actually mentioned tomorrow morning, but I figured I need more time for preparation so I'm hoping early next week will do. Thank you so much :) 

4 hours ago, Neurophilic said:

For those who applied to York, I’ve been informed that the open house is Feb 15 this year. Short-listed candidates are typically contacted by the end Jan and invited to attend. 

Thank you for this!! It’s nice to have an idea of what to expect timeline wise!

1 hour ago, higaisha said:

Anyone applied for Western this year? Seems their program is pretty underrated

I applied! I agree - their Clinical program is actually fantastic (may be biased because I did my undergrad there lol). They've pumped out a bunch of novel research and there are a few big names there. I know a few graduate students there who speak very highly of their experience so far, but I also get why people may not be the most eager to go. London isn't exactly the best place in the world, haha.

1 hour ago, ventiamericano said:

I applied! I agree - their Clinical program is actually fantastic (may be biased because I did my undergrad there lol). They've pumped out a bunch of novel research and there are a few big names there. I know a few graduate students there who speak very highly of their experience so far, but I also get why people may not be the most eager to go. London isn't exactly the best place in the world, haha.

Yeah the program seems solid but I don't know how I feel about living in the shithole that is London for like 5 years lol. That and practicum choice seems kind of limited in a smaller city. 

4 hours ago, higaisha said:

Yeah the program seems solid but I don't know how I feel about living in the shithole that is London for like 5 years lol. That and practicum choice seems kind of limited in a smaller city. 

To chime in, I think there's pros and cons whether your program is in a larger or smaller city. Smaller cities may makes practicum choices more limited but it could also means that the program may cater to this and make sure students get a breadth of experience that suits with the available opportunities. In a larger city (let's use Toronto), you are situated in a region where there are quite a few major hospitals/practicum sites to choose from (yay!). Keep in mind, however, there is also A LOT more competition (UTSC, York, Ryerson, OISE, even McMaster now) (boo!). Toronto programs follow a similar protocol to APPIC internship for practicum applications each year. That means there is a ranking system for all applicants by the clinical settings each application cycle. I know cases where some out-of-town applicants have also applied to Toronto as well.

That's why wherever you apply and interview at, make sure you ask questions to learn more about your fit with the program and also the intangibles that can help sway your decision!