2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

2 hours ago, Pink Freud said:

Same. Actually I'm pretty bummed to be honest. This was by far my #1 choice.. 

Don't be too bummed about that. After interviews, my preference rankings flipped completely. BU was "my far my #1 choice" until after my interview.

One way or another, you'll be fine. 

Got my BU invite last night. It has a conflict with another interview, still on the fence if I should request a Skype interview or just decline. They seem to be pretty disorganized. 

3 hours ago, maya123z said:

Got my BU invite last night. It has a conflict with another interview, still on the fence if I should request a Skype interview or just decline. They seem to be pretty disorganized. 

Update: BU doesn't allow Skype interviews so looks like I'll have to decline. Best of luck to whoever gets my interview slot :)

44 minutes ago, maya123z said:

Update: BU doesn't allow Skype interviews so looks like I'll have to decline. Best of luck to whoever gets my interview slot :)

Same here!! Declined yesterday.. Good luck to whoever gets the slot!!

To all those who worried about BU: I thought I got rejected since I did not receive an invitation yesterday. I got mine a couple hours ago this morning (maybe from someone else very quickly turning down the interview) but either way don't spiral into a pit of worry when visiting this site! There are so many smart people it's hard to not compare yourself, but remember everyone has their own strengths!

16 hours ago, FirstYear said:

Last school down. No interviews for me this season :(((

Don't take it personally, there were so many super competitive and experienced applicants this year, and I'm sure you were one of them. Take this time to relax, get more research experience that you're actually passionate about, and find programs that really speak to your heart. When you finally get into a dream program next year and eventually get your PhD you will be extremely relieved that you didn't get in for Fall 2019. I've gotten all rejections before and it just led to me getting lab experience that changed my life and my research goals, as well as making me a super competitive applicant. You got this, believe in yourself and your abilities. 

17 hours ago, Pink Freud said:

Did you get a rejection email from BU or just no invite? 

Hang in there...

No, just no interview email. So many people posted their interview notices at once yesterday that I figured it was a one-time mass email, though it may be coming in waves. 

I don't want to be too greedy since I've already had good interviews and acceptances...but I'd love to have the choice to stay in Boston for personal reasons. 

17 hours ago, Burn28 said:

Have you heard yet? Did you get an interview?

Yes, I got accepted to Columbia. I believe all interview invites are done since they’re already doing acceptances.

I wouldn’t worry too much though - it’s just one program and not all of your programs have to work out. You just need one!

5 hours ago, fearfulocelot said:

No, just no interview email. So many people posted their interview notices at once yesterday that I figured it was a one-time mass email, though it may be coming in waves. 

I don't want to be too greedy since I've already had good interviews and acceptances...but I'd love to have the choice to stay in Boston for personal reasons. 

I think it's coming in waves. I would give it at least until the end of the week. 

On 1/29/2019 at 10:40 AM, neuronerd95 said:

Has anyone from Columbia neurobiology & behavior interview heard back yet?

4 hours ago, neuronerd95 said:

Yes, I got accepted to Columbia. I believe all interview invites are done since they’re already doing acceptances.

I wouldn’t worry too much though - it’s just one program and not all of your programs have to work out. You just need one!

When did you hear about the acceptance?  Just curious?  Congratulations!

Edited by Burn28

4 hours ago, neuronerd95 said:

same as many friends above, BU seemed to be my last hope, and I did not receive an invitation~ I was trying to locate some RA or technician jobs but really have no idea where to start. Should I go to websites like Indeed and Glassdoor or simply just email professors of interest? Thanks in advance:) 

33 minutes ago, Ryan_Goshipping said:

same as many friends above, BU seemed to be my last hope, and I did not receive an invitation~ I was trying to locate some RA or technician jobs but really have no idea where to start. Should I go to websites like Indeed and Glassdoor or simply just email professors of interest? Thanks in advance:) 

To improve your application you need to both try to work for a big name and get publications with as high authorship as possible. I can tell you that a position having both or even either quality is really unachievable if you use Glassdoor/Indeed/LinkedIn or even university websites. It’s an unfortunate truth that these tend to get filled internally usually or through word of mouth. Utilize your network and try emailing PIs whose work interests you especially new PIs (they haven’t started their lab yet) because they are necessarily hiring a tech/lab manager 

Edited by HawaiiLee808

I'm guessing that these are all finished sending out invites, but has anyone received rejections from the following: NYU, Emory, Vanderbilt, Dartmouth, Georgetown, Einstein, Weill Cornell, SUNY Downstate, Drexel, GA State? 

Will all programs reach out with rejections, or should we call to find out our status? I got accepted to my first choice (!!!) but want to hear a final word on the rest before accepting the offer.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Ryan_Goshipping said:

When I was looking for a technician job I used university websites and because I needed a job quick, I emailed the PIs directly with my CV explaining why I was interested to work in their labs and I ended up finding a good position within weeks. It's definitely hard to find positions but not impossible you just have to put yourself out there! 

3 hours ago, lemmabear said:

I'm guessing that these are all finished sending out invites, but has anyone received rejections from the following: NYU, Emory, Vanderbilt, Dartmouth, Georgetown, Einstein, Weill Cornell, SUNY Downstate, Drexel, GA State? 

Will all programs reach out with rejections, or should we call to find out our status? I got accepted to my first choice (!!!) but want to hear a final word on the rest before accepting the offer.

Thanks!

Hey! I'm also waiting to hear back from Drexel and I was waitlisted at Vanderbilt, but I have a sneaky feeling that i'll be receiving rejections soon... 

Look into the NIH post bac program. You should also directly look up/contact PIs at places you'd like to go and see if they're looking for an RA/tech. Sometimes they'll advertise on their websites or twitter (there's an account that retweets opportunities - NeuroJobs, something like that). It's worth keeping in mind that a big name is incredibly helpful for getting into top programs. You also want work that is incredibly similar to what you want to do in grad school both in topic (because connections) and technique (because it leaves no doubt about whether you can do the work).

I did an RA job at a lab near where I did my undergrad. It's good work, I'm happy I was able to stay somewhere I knew rather than moving 2x in 2 years, but it didn't really help my applications, especially because I don't want to stay exactly in this small niche.

Edited by round2_