Interview Advice

topsailpsych

Awkward situation at one of my interview sites. One of the PIs with whom I interviewed by phone is going to be out of town for the actual interview weekend; she invited me to visit her lab, but since it's offsite, that may not be possible during the official interview day. I can't attend the alternate interview weekend, as I've already committed to another one.

Am I sunk at this lab?

5 hours ago, PsyDGrad90 said:

It is awkward. That said, make sure you treat fellow applicants nicely and with respect (although I suppose if the program has a cut-throat environment, this may be slightly different). The current students will be looking at who looks like "a team player" and who looks like they're out for themselves. If a program tries to foster a supportive student environment, they are also going to be looking for students who fit that culture. 

Which programs are cut throat? I haven’t heard of one that is, yet

9 hours ago, Fi19 said:

Just going off of this - would it be appropriate to ask either current students or my POI about how many applicants my POI is interviewing this year?

No, but you can ask AFTER you've been accepted ;) The only reason I cited the "7 potential applicants" statistic is because one of my POI explicitly said it in during my interview. The Grad Committee met to view ALL applications, ranked them, and then sent the highest ranking applicants to the respective POIs. Then, POIS take it from there to interview and re-rank them. I hope that helps :) 

6 hours ago, FreudEgg said:

Thanks for your response! It doesn’t really ”help” me, I guess, it’s more about what @Mickey26 says below... I’m SO excited to get an interview, but then I’m like “oh right, odds still aren’t in my favor”, even though of course I feel so lucky to have made it to interviews. 

Thank you for your input!! Those are EXACTLY my thoughts right now about it all! I hope your interviews go well!!! 

Am am I the only one who low key pictures this whole thing like hunger games? 

May the odds be ever in your favor. 

Hey! Don't be so hard on yourself. The fact that you've even MADE IT to the interview stage clearly is a testamount to how capable you are! Applications to Clinical Psych grad school is often just a gamble, in my opinion. Like the POI, funding, everything has to be aligned in some way sometimes to make it work ugh I would focus your energy on your interview. Be, as one of my grad student mentors have said "personable and professionable". Make them WANT YOU!! :) Good luck with your interview!

6 hours ago, 21n14l said:

Which programs are cut throat? I haven’t heard of one that is, yet

I haven't experienced any personally, but I have heard horror stories from friends in other disciplines as well as stories on forums about departments that don't necessarily foster a friendly environment and it's more of an "every man for himself" scenario, with people stealing ideas and just not hesitant to knock someone down to get ahead.

PSA: Please do not be that applicant that is overly aggressive during social events.

I met an applicant today who was SO aggressive/controlling of every conversation between applicants and graduate students of the program, she was so exhausting. I’m sure she was doing this to be nice/talkative and not come off as uninterested, but it clearly rubbed me the wrong way. These interviews aren’t supposed to be cut-throat or competitions between applicants, folks.

I would NOT want to this person as a classmate or colleague- I hope I never see her again lol ?

Edited by checkingmyemail

7 hours ago, Mickey26 said:

No, but you can ask AFTER you've been accepted ;) The only reason I cited the "7 potential applicants" statistic is because one of my POI explicitly said it in during my interview. The Grad Committee met to view ALL applications, ranked them, and then sent the highest ranking applicants to the respective POIs. Then, POIS take it from there to interview and re-rank them. I hope that helps :) 

Hey! Don't be so hard on yourself. The fact that you've even MADE IT to the interview stage clearly is a testamount to how capable you are! Applications to Clinical Psych grad school is often just a gamble, in my opinion. Like the POI, funding, everything has to be aligned in some way sometimes to make it work ugh I would focus your energy on your interview. Be, as one of my grad student mentors have said "personable and professionable". Make them WANT YOU!! :) Good luck with your interview!

Thanks so much. I’m trying so hard to be optimistic!! I appreciate your advice! Good luck to you 

2 hours ago, checkingmyemail said:

PSA: Please do not be that applicant that is overly aggressive during social events.

I met an applicant today who was SO aggressive/controlling of every conversation between applicants and graduate students of the program, she was so exhausting. I’m sure she was doing this to be nice/talkative and not come off as uninterested, but it clearly rubbed me the wrong way. These interviews aren’t supposed to be cut-throat or competitions between applicants, folks.

I would NOT want to this person as a classmate or colleague- I hope I never see her again lol ?

Yes!! I can’t stress enough how important this is. 

Faculty are usually pretty forgiving because they know interviews are a stressful time. But they WILL remember it if you’re unpleasant to be around, competitive, or clearly trying to overshadow the other applicants. At the interview stage, professors and grad students are really trying to find someone they want to work with for the next 5+ years. And chances are, that is not going to be the person who spends 20 minutes talking about their CV at the interview social event. 

Edited by Clinpsyc01

In one of the programs I'm interviewing at, my POI has a strong record of accepting students from inside the lab. I found out one of their current lab members will be interviewing for a graduate student spot at this POIs lab. I really wish this information would have not reached me because now it's really freaking me out. I know this is a situation completely out of my control, and I shouldn't let it affect my mindset entering the interview. However, I cannot help but to feel somewhat discouraged and hopeless. This program is my top pick. 

Any advice on how to counteract the negative mindset before going into the interview?

Edited by PsychWannabee

19 minutes ago, PsychWannabee said:

In one of the programs I'm interviewing at, my POI has a strong record of accepting students from inside the lab. I found out one of their current lab members will be interviewing for a graduate student spot at this POIs lab. I really wish this information would have not reached me because now it's really freaking me out. I know this is a situation completely out of my control, and I shouldn't let it affect my mindset entering the interview. However, I cannot help but to feel somewhat discouraged and hopeless. This program is my top pick. 

Any advice on how to counteract the negative mindset before going into the interview?

This sucks so much ?. And there’s not much you can do about it. Try not to let these thoughts get to you. Go through the interview day(s) giving it your best effort and gracefully interact with all students/applicants as planned. 

This happened to me last time I applied-the PI literally chose the RA already working in her lab. Probably just went through the “motions of the interviews” but wanted her own lab’s RA the whole time... In hindsight, it all felt like a waste of time for everyone involved honestly. Blah.

I’m interviewing with that exact program again this year- Btw. It’s strange and uncomfortable, but the nature of the game. 

47 minutes ago, PsychWannabee said:

In the environment of stress and uncertainty that is application season, it makes total sense this information is unsettling. However, since you have been invited to interview, the PI has already determined that you have the qualifications and other application materials to be a graduate trainee in their lab even without the "extra topping" of being a current lab member. Interview invites are not accidents, nor are they something that PIs typically throw out willy-nilly for fun or to waste applicants' time. They have explicitly decided to get to know you and how you'd fit within the program in person, just as you're having the opportunity to get to know the PI/the lab, and the program to see if they'd fit within your needs/long term goals.

What kind of things get you pumped and feeling good about yourself? Bring those into the interview space and know you can be a pleasant co-interviewee and also have your perspective/contributions stand out.  Hoping you have many opportunities to shine throughout this VERY imperfect process.  Best of luck!

Edited by psykick
fixed the downplaying haha

8 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

In hindsight, it all felt like a waste of time for everyone involved honestly. Blah.

I’m interviewing with that exact program again this year- Btw. It’s strange and uncomfortable, but the nature of the game. 

This. I feel this so much right now. I feel like I may end up feeling like I wasted my time and effort. You're right though. I still need to give it my best effort. If I don't, I know later I would say, "Maybe if I had tried, I would have been the one who was picked." In the end, this application/admissions process is always brutal.

Congrats on that interview, and here's to hoping you get in this time!

56 minutes ago, PsychWannabee said:

I have the opposite situation--I ended up having to apply to a different POI then the one I'm currently working with, simply b/c my current POI does not take individuals that do their undergrad here. It sucks cuz the POI I work with is a fabulous mentor/the lab is wonderful/matches my research interests. Ugh. Regardless, I'm sorry to hear that, but chin up cuz you made it to the interview round!! That's a fantastic feat within itself. Be personable and professionable and just nail it!! Think good vibes :)

24 minutes ago, psykick said:

In the environment of stress and uncertainty that is application season, it makes total sense this information is unsettling. However, since you have been invited to interview, the PI has already determined that you have the qualifications and other application materials to be a graduate trainee in their lab even without the "extra topping" of being a current lab member. Interview invites are not accidents, nor are they something that PIs typically throw out willy-nilly for fun or to waste applicants' time. They have explicitly decided to get to know you and how you'd fit within the program in person, just as you're having the opportunity to get to know the PI/the lab, and the program to see if they'd fit within your needs/long term goals.

What kind of things get you pumped and feeling good about yourself? Bring those into the interview space and know you can be a pleasant co-interviewee and also have your perspective/contributions stand out.  Hoping you have many opportunities to shine throughout this VERY imperfect process.  Best of luck!

Thank you so much for all this. I was really about to convince myself that I had gotten an interview invite by some kind of accident or bad joke. Following your advice, I will take the things that get me pumped and feeling good about myself-- my passion for learning, the field, and the research I want to pursue--into the interview and do my best! 

9 minutes ago, Mickey26 said:

I have the opposite situation--I ended up having to apply to a different POI then the one I'm currently working with, simply b/c my current POI does not take individuals that do their undergrad here. It sucks cuz the POI I work with is a fabulous mentor/the lab is wonderful/matches my research interests. Ugh. Regardless, I'm sorry to hear that, but chin up cuz you made it to the interview round!! That's a fantastic feat within itself. Be personable and professionable and just nail it!! Think good vibes :)

Thank you; I will try to think good vibes! It's unfortunate that you weren't able to apply to your mentor, but I'm sure if you get accepted, they will be happy to have you around and there may be collaborations across your labs!

8 minutes ago, psychhealth101 said:

Any suggestions of good questions to ask faculty members who aren't your POI? I found myself running out of questions

General questions about the program, potential collaborations, q's related to the city/living in X. 

12 hours ago, Clinpsyc01 said:

Yes!! I can’t stress enough how important this is. 

Faculty are usually pretty forgiving because they know interviews are a stressful time. But they WILL remember it if you’re unpleasant to be around, competitive, or clearly trying to overshadow the other applicants. At the interview stage, professors and grad students are really trying to find someone they want to work with for the next 5+ years. And chances are, that is not going to be the person who spends 20 minutes talking about their CV at the interview social event. 

I would also like to add that you don’t want to be THAT person who’s being a Debby downer the whole time. At one of my interviews, another applicant kept complaining about how early she had to wake up that morning and how she had no idea how she was going to fit in all of her interviews ?. The worst part was that she didn’t turn off the negative vibes when we were speaking to current students! They are on the lookout for our personalities too, and she continued to be just as negative with them. She may have been nervous or something, but after that day was over, I knew that I would not want to be in a cohort with her. 

Try to keep it together and remember how amazing it is that you were invited to interview for that program!

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone had any advice for an in-person meeting with your POI @ the school's open house? We already had a skype interview that went really well and we covered a wide range of topics from research interests, direction of the lab in the next couple of years, favourite current scholars etc. I'm kinda stumped now to what to expect when we meet in-person as we've covered so much ground. Any insight/tips?

15 hours ago, Mickey26 said:

General questions about the program, potential collaborations, q's related to the city/living in X. 

Potential collaborations is such a great question to ask for. A lot of times faculty collaborate with one another on many projects due to common interests in one area. For example all of the professors at one of my programs collaborate on multiple projects so that they can further each other's research while also catering to their specific areas of interest. In fact at one of my interviews they were very happy to be asked about potential collaborations because not many people are aware of it and think that the programs are very cut-throat and the faculty are in competition with one another. 

5 hours ago, ventiamericano said:

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone had any advice for an in-person meeting with your POI @ the school's open house? We already had a skype interview that went really well and we covered a wide range of topics from research interests, direction of the lab in the next couple of years, favourite current scholars etc. I'm kinda stumped now to what to expect when we meet in-person as we've covered so much ground. Any insight/tips?

I think that the biggest thing to remember is that they are people too. Ask them what they enjoy doing in their free time, what there is to do around campus and in whatever city the campus resides in, etc. The PI of the lab that I'm an RA in prefers to be treated like a person and asked questions as such at open houses or social gatherings. In his opinion, professional talk is great for a formal interview, but he likes to get to know his potential students on a personal level and whether they are enjoyable people in general (and vice versa for his potential students to get to know him) at more casual events like open houses. 

Hi, 

I got an email from my PI inviting me for an interview for Clinical Psychology PhD program. I had finished the first year of masters in Clinical Psychology when I applied and it included all the necessary course-work. However, my masters is via distance learning so I don't have any research experience. I have addressed this point in both my resume and SOP by showing my full time job in an unrelated field (I am working full-time in a software development company). I am still worried not having research experience could be a major drawback in my profile. How do I address this topic in case it comes up in my interview? 

This is my first interview as a potential PhD candidate. PI's letter sounded encouraging but I am very nervous about my lack of relevant research experience.

PS: How essential is having research experience or publications to securing an admission for a doctoral program? 

7 hours ago, ClinicalPsych1994 said:

I am still worried not having research experience could be a major drawback in my profile. How do I address this topic in case it comes up in my interview? 

This is my first interview as a potential PhD candidate. PI's letter sounded encouraging but I am very nervous about my lack of relevant research experience.

PS: How essential is having research experience or publications to securing an admission for a doctoral program? 

Which program is this? Is this a fully or partially funded APA accredited program? 

I’ve never heard of a candidate receiving an invite and not having any research experience or at least some degree of research-related skills. 

To answer your specific question: For reputable,  fully or partially funded programs that are APA accredited, research experience is essential, not only for admissions, but in order for students to progress through the program successfully. It’s a research-based degree, therefore the experience and foundational knowledge of research is crucial.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is clearly lying and/or severely uninformed re: the amount of rigor, time, and effort necessary to obtain a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology. 

Okay, I leave for my interview weekend on Thursday and I’m kind of panicking because I’m sick! Like nose continuously running, exhausted, sore throat, mouth breathing, sneezing sick! I’m also full time in my last semester of undergrad with an hour long commute in blizzard conditions. I had planned to spend this week reading articles and preparing but I really need sleep if I’m going to beat this. And I’m worried I’m going to be miserable and make everyone else miserable at my interviews. Also, they’re having a fun dinner out Thursday night with the grad students from 7-9pm which is 10-midnight my time and I will have been traveling for like 8 hours at that point and I don’t know what to do. (Also this is my top choice program and only interview in this field! ?) Advice?

so i know this question has been asked before, but i don't think anyone ever answered it: if a POI offered to answer any questions that you may have over email before the interview, what types of questions did you save for the interview and what did you ask over email? I just don't want to be presumptuous and act like I am entitled to all of his time and I don't want to put any of the other applicants at a disadvantage either. I also know that I should be proactive and seize the opportunity to show more interest but I am overthinking this wayyy too much and now it is almost time for my in person interview and I did not ask any questions over email even though the invite was extended mid-december because I felt like I was going to come off as entitled to his time and pushy. how did others in this situation navigate this??

I know that the POI is the main person to impress, but don't forget about the current graduate students too!

One of my professors from my current graduate program told me about a phd applicant he invited to interview weekend last cycle who was PERFECT on paper and sooo close to being accepted. But apparently he acted weirdly around the lab members and made inappropriate comments so the professor decided not to accept him.