What are your hobbies?

ResilientDreams

Not really grad school related, but I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we talk about the stuff we like to do when we're not studying/working/applying to grad school/etc.

I like to dance and have done ballet since I was really little, and I also really like teaching myself languages.

Since I'm in my PhD and out of my (terminal) Master's in which I also worked 20hrs on the side I finally have time for my hobbies :)

Photography (trying to learn more too), cinema (same), discovering weird indie bands online, drawing, I hope to get my hands on a bass guitar and guitar soon (former I want to learn, latter I can play), reading, hopefully can go to concerts in my 'new' city, 'fashion'/minimalism - I hope to start a blog again

This is fun!

Photography, reading, writing horrible romance novels that I will never finish, going to museums, eating food, volunteering, baking, watching movies (especially at movie theaters), doing yoga, painting, traveling when I can afford to do so, and going to concerts.

This is a good diversion to try to move my brain away from the incessant background noise of waiting for decisions!

I like cooking/making up new recipes, writing poetry, yoga, watching the Great British Baking Show, going out with friends, and painting my nails. Although a lot of this has taken a backseat recently to reading critical theory and/or any slightly relevant thread on the GradCafe!

On 12/29/2018 at 9:41 PM, Bopie5 said:

This is a good diversion to try to move my brain away from the incessant background noise of waiting for decisions!

I like cooking/making up new recipes, writing poetry, yoga, watching the Great British Baking Show, going out with friends, and painting my nails. Although a lot of this has taken a backseat recently to reading critical theory and/or any slightly relevant thread on the GradCafe!

My friend got me into the Great British Baking Show!

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten really into cooking lately! I also like listening to podcasts while on walks or embroidering. I took up embroidery because I needed a physically productive hobby to balance out all the paper writing and reading I was doing on the computer. I'm also intermittently into yoga, when I have time. I've also been loving The Great British Baking Show lately!

Reading, hiking, playing some video games online with friends if the stars align and we can all make it on at the same time.  I've been doing a lot of walking and cooking lately although that's more an effort to get in shape (although I do enjoy cooking) more than those activities are hobbies.

20 hours ago, Aquawoman said:

Besides reading and cooking I have a strange hobby. I like to search for property for sale in Greece and look at the photos of the houses or apartments. Just imagine how people are living there, what kind of job they have, if there are any pets, how many kids can fit into the house and so on. Maybe i liked the SIMS game too much at some point so now I just enjoy doing this thing. But it relaxes me to be honest.  

Why Greece?

• 2 years later...
On 12/30/2018 at 8:33 AM, PokePsych said:

Since I'm in my PhD and out of my (terminal) Master's in which I also worked 20hrs on the side I finally have time for my hobbies :)

Photography (trying to learn more too), cinema (same), discovering weird indie bands online, drawing, I hope to get my hands on a bass guitar and guitar soon (former I want to learn, latter I can play), reading, hopefully can go to concerts in my 'new' city, 'fashion'/minimalism - I hope to start a blog again

Do you have your own guitar?

I love playing acoustic, hiking, running drinking coffee and reading classics. 

• 1 month later...

This is such a cool thread. Gosh. 

• I've picked up Nahuatl classes; wanna pick up French and German too 
  • Just signed up for my first Danza Azteca class (I start today)
  • I perfected my sugar cookie recipe
  • Weight lifting 
  • Improv/stand-up 
  • Watching baseball (Thank you baby Jesus for baseball season!)   

• 2 weeks later...