This application season I learned........

Anxiously Hopeful

Now that we are all done with the applications and waiting to hear back from the universities, let us share what we learned from this 2019 application cycle. If you ask me, this application season I learned…….

1) to keep my dear ones closer since they have this extraordinary power to strengthen me,

2) and that I should stop chasing perfection, be it the applications or relationships.

This was more at the emotional level. Since I have not heard back from any university, I cannot answer about the dos and don’ts of applications.☺️

• 1 month later...
  1. I need to put 100% confidence in myself and my applications because I'm a deserving grad school candidate
  2. How important it is to spend time with family and friends, especially those who supported me through this app season
  3. Recognized that numbers are just numbers
  4. Not to procrastinate too much with assignments (aka. writing a personal statement haha)

I learned just how subjective this process really is and to not beat myself up over rejections. There's usually no way to tell why a school/department/POI didn't choose you and it's not necessarily a reflection on you as a person. Sometimes it's because of funding or maybe the POI is doing a sabbatical next year. It could literally be anything. A former professor used to have us say this before every speech/presentation: "No matter what happens, I will still lead a full and happy life." That's what's getting me through this weird and uncertain season. 

41 minutes ago, FutureEdPHD said:

I learned just how subjective this process really is and to not beat myself up over rejections. There's usually no way to tell why a school/department/POI didn't choose you and it's not necessarily a reflection on you as a person. Sometimes it's because of funding or maybe the POI is doing a sabbatical next year. It could literally be anything. A former professor used to have us say this before every speech/presentation: "No matter what happens, I will still lead a full and happy life." That's what's getting me through this weird and uncertain season. 

This is so true, and one of the best things I've read on here. I wish I knew this before I applied.