Come vent with me!

nwslp

Hi everyone!

I know we're still early on in the process but i'm just wondering how everyone is coping with the waiting period. I'm personally having a hard time not feeling super discouraged hearing about other people getting interviews while I still have empty email inboxes. I don't know if this is a rational or irrational thought process but it seems like not being in the first wave of interviews means your lower on the schools priority lists right? You'd think they're trying to get top candidates in ASAP.

Anyway, best of luck and positivity to everyone. Feelin real discouraged and defeated over here, had to limit myself to checking my inbox once an hour :) only another month or two of uncertainty I guess? Feel free to air your own anxieties while we wait haha

I couldn't agree more. I applied to Arizona State University (ASU). They sent out some acceptances and rejections this past week. I have not heard anything from them and my portal still says in review. I was expecting an acceptance, but I am slowly doubting that will happen. I don't think anyone has received a decision about a waiting list so I have just assumed that's where I am going to be placed. But I am thoroughly annoyed  and anxious because it has been a week since they started sending out decisions I haven't heard anything. It would be nice to just be told and not have to wait.  (Is anyone else waiting to hear back from ASU? Does anyone know how there admissions process works. I am really hoping to get accepted still.)

Also, CSU Chico has an interview and has not sent out anything. I am sure they are just reviewing, but I keep waiting. I do not like waiting. ?

24 minutes ago, ep24 said:

Which of your schools do interviews? A lot of programs don't so just because you don't have an interview doesn't mean you won't get in! This waiting period honestly sucks!

Totally true! I need to stop obsessively checking the results page on here :) I've seen people post about pacific interviews (which I knew), Chapman, and WSU.

4 minutes ago, lasmith said:

Wow so appreciate your post!! I've been seeing the ASU results on the page and regretted not applying b/c I was like "Ugh at least i'd KNOW". The things you come up with during times of uncertainty are so crazy.

As everyone keeps saying, it'll all be fine, but right now feels pretty annoying :) Please update if you hear anything, now i'm invested in your search/we have a lot of overlap schools.

26 minutes ago, nwslp said:

Wow so appreciate your post!! I've been seeing the ASU results on the page and regretted not applying b/c I was like "Ugh at least i'd KNOW". The things you come up with during times of uncertainty are so crazy.

As everyone keeps saying, it'll all be fine, but right now feels pretty annoying :) Please update if you hear anything, now i'm invested in your search/we have a lot of overlap schools.

I have come up with so many different theories about why I haven't heard anything. 1) They possibly have two cohorts and only selected have selected applicants for one, so I still have a chance. 2) I am on the waiting list and they send those out later incase people decline earlier for whatever reason, so they can change your status earlier. So hopefully I still have a chance to be accepted.  3) I am white and they are looking for diversity, which is not white. 4) One of my friends was already accepted to ASU and they will only take undergrads from one school. 

I have come to realize these are all very silly.

I have another friend who has already been accepted elsewhere who keeps trying to encourage and telling me everything will work out in the end. I agree it will all work out in the end, but in the meantime I am going INSANE waiting. (proof above ?) She has also tried to convince me to call to see if I can determine something but that terrifies me because for whatever reason, I think that they may get wind that I called and was being impatient and may result in a different decisions. (further proof of my insanity) 

I will keep you update. I am also interested in hearing if you get an interviews and where you get in. We have the potential for being in the same cohort. Or at least when we go into the professional world of SLP we will have another ally to support us. 

SAME. I have girls in my class who already have two or more acceptances and it's only February 12. It would't be such a big deal for me, except for I know of a lot of people who have been accepted to a school I also applied to, and I haven't heard anything back yet. I am trying to look at is as no news is good news (at least I haven't gotten any rejections yet), but I am driving myself crazy with checking this site and refreshing my email multiple times an hour. 

I am also feeling super discouraged and anxious with my life being in limbo right now. It makes it hard to focus in my classes because I want to constantly check everything. It's basically all I think about ?

8 minutes ago, hopefulSLPtobe said:

SAME. I have girls in my class who already have two or more acceptances and it's only February 12. It would't be such a big deal for me, except for I know of a lot of people who have been accepted to a school I also applied to, and I haven't heard anything back yet. I am trying to look at is as no news is good news (at least I haven't gotten any rejections yet), but I am driving myself crazy with checking this site and refreshing my email multiple times an hour. 

I am also feeling super discouraged and anxious with my life being in limbo right now. It makes it hard to focus in my classes because I want to constantly check everything. It's basically all I think about ?

I feel the same exact way!!!! There was one night where I could not even sleep because all I wanted to was check everything. But like who is going to accept you in the middle of the night.

I am really just glad I am not the only one feeling like this.

20 minutes ago, lasmith said:

I feel the same exact way!!!! There was one night where I could not even sleep because all I wanted to was check everything. But like who is going to accept you in the middle of the night.

I am really just glad I am not the only one feeling like this.

I feel like I can breathe easy after 5pm, but from 8am-5pm I am checking obsessively!

I am so glad I am not alone. The application process was certainly not fun, but I never anticipated the extent of anxiety I'd be going through during this waiting! I know most schools I've applied to haven't sent any acceptances out until the beginning of March, so the obsessive checking is totally irrational and unnecessary, but I'm still doing it!

Today I got an email from one of the schools I applied to with the subject "[University] Admissions", and I didn't know why I'd be hearing a month earlier than expected, but my heart started pounding anyway. Turns out it was just a generic email thanking me for my interest in the school, whether or not I'd applied. I didn't know whether to feel relieved or disappointed!! The waiting game is definitely going to be long and difficult. 

Does anyone have any tips for waiting it out? What do you do instead of checking for any news? What does everyone do for fun or to de-stress?

I check this and the slpgradschool reddit every day, probably way more often than I should. Waiting of these results is controlling my life! Thankfully we aren't alone and this will be over soon. Even though I don't know you guys, I'm happy to have this online community :

Applying to:  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign | University of Tennessee, Knoxville | Vanderbilt University | University of Memphis | The University of Texas at Dallas | Howard University

Accepted InterviewWaitlisted, Rejected

Edited by ifslp

1 hour ago, hopefulSLPtobe said:

I feel like I can breathe easy after 5pm, but from 8am-5pm I am checking obsessively!

I need a new hobby that doesn’t involve refreshing TheGradCafe or r/slpgradschool ?

I'm having a really hard time. I've gotten into one of my top schools with a pretty good offer, but I don't have the money to cover relocation expenses (Chicago to Pittsburgh) or the requisite month of math camp before the program. Nervously hoping for the best with other programs.

It's all so scary!

I am afraid of accruing more debt. I am afraid of being in a precarious financial position for two years and being unable to provide my mother/sister with financial help should they need it. Will it all be worth it? I navigated this haphazardly during my transition to an undergraduate institution, but, after a few years in the work force, I feel I have more to lose. Any other grad-cafe-rs trying to work out similar issues? Especially but not limited to folks from low income backgrounds?

All this before I even know final decisions from these schools. Smdh. It keeps me up at night.

Edited by acerbicb

12 minutes ago, acerbicb said:

I'm having a really hard time. I've gotten into one of my top schools with a pretty good offer, but I don't have the money to cover relocation expenses (Chicago to Pittsburgh) or the requisite month of math camp before the program. Nervously hoping for the best with other programs.

It's all so scary!

I am afraid of accruing more debt. I am afraid of being in a precarious financial position for two years and being unable to provide my mother/sister with financial help should they need it. Will it all be worth it? I navigated this haphazardly during my transition to an undergraduate institution, but, after a few years in the work force, I feel I have more to lose. Any other grad-cafe-rs trying to work out similar issues? Especially but not limited to folks from low income backgrounds?

All this before I even know final decisions from these schools. Smdh. It keeps me up at night.

I can relate. My top school would be a really big move to an expensive city and it sounds like they don't offer many spots with funding. I'm really worried about more debt as well but I've been looking into loan forgiveness programs because some school districts will hire SLPs with this. I guess for now I'll just have to wait and see where I'm accepted and if I'm offered funding. However, I'm not sure when schools will release that information because I've been accepted to one school but they haven't said anything about the assistantship I applied for. 

19 minutes ago, acerbicb said:

It's all so scary!

Yes yes and yes. I am highly stressed about the expenses of grad school, but hopefully we will get through it like everyone normally does. There is a reason you chose this field, remind yourself of it in order to keep going. I do hope you get accepted to one of your more feasible options! 

33 minutes ago, acerbicb said:

It's all so scary!

Yes, I applied to several schools just hoping for one. Now that I've been accepted I am stressing about finances. Can I really afford this? What will I tell my full-time job? How will I pay my car note?! Sure, I can take out more loans but how much will my loan payment be and will I be able to afford that...Man...to say I am stressed is an understatement. 

For those concerned about finances, I know State like Nevada and California do loan forgiveness. I know in Nevada legislation currently says if you work at a low SES school for a certain amount of time they will forgive all your loans. My mom also had an SPL friend who got loan forgiveness in California. I would look into that depending on what state you're in or want to be in. I also highly reccomend getting involved with SPL legislation like that so that we can keep getting that for SLP's. I wish you all the best of luck and least amount of stress possible. 

39 minutes ago, lasmith said:

For those concerned about finances, I know State like Nevada and California do loan forgiveness. I know in Nevada legislation currently says if you work at a low SES school for a certain amount of time they will forgive all your loans. My mom also had an SPL friend who got loan forgiveness in California. I would look into that depending on what state you're in or want to be in. I also highly reccomend getting involved with SPL legislation like that so that we can keep getting that for SLP's. I wish you all the best of luck and least amount of stress possible. 

This is extremely helpful...thank you!

6 hours ago, nwslp said:

Totally true! I need to stop obsessively checking the results page on here :) I've seen people post about pacific interviews (which I knew), Chapman, and WSU.

I haven't gotten a Chapman interview invite (yet?) either. It's the first school that I applied to that has shown up on the Results page so now I have this sinking (and hopefully irrational) feeling that despite having good stats I'm a bad candidate for ALL of the schools I applied to -- like my personal statement was all wrong or one of my letter of rec writers was having a bad day. Chapman said they were processing applications in the order they were received. I submitted mine in December and someone who submitted in January has gotten an interview invite (there's my over-analysis for you!). 

So, I'm with you and I'm so grateful you started this thread!

2 hours ago, ifslp said:

I check this and the slpgradschool reddit every day, probably way more often than I should. Waiting of these results is controlling my life! Thankfully we aren't alone and this will be over soon. Even though I don't know you guys, I'm happy to have this online community :

Applying to:  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign | University of Tennessee, Knoxville | Vanderbilt University | University of Memphis | The University of Texas at Dallas | Howard University

Accepted InterviewWaitlisted, Rejected

Oh no... I didn't know about the slpgradschool reddit and now I can't unsee it ?