Just now, Taihoku said:

(Imagine me terrified at the terror I might have caused others, trying to do the opposite) Point of clarification, I have, but not in literature. I do area studies. 

Just now, meghan_sparkle said:

they're not english!

bless your kind souls for quickly nipping off my anxiety attack at the bud, truly 

1 minute ago, meghan_sparkle said:

If I don't hear from somewhere today I will riot.*

*Cry in the shower quietly and respectfully.

yesterday I stood in the shower after a run for an extra, idk, 15 minutes or so? with the thought, if I stand in the shower longer, that gives Brown more time to email me

Am I the only one sick of seeing the "Girl gets accepted to Harvard" video every time they refresh the main page? Like, good for her, but ffs, her repeated immense joy is like pouring boiling salt water into the wounds of rejection. 

C'mon Brown. We're all here waiting for you. And you too, BU, I'm waiting...

23 minutes ago, tinymica said:

Oh wow, that's super impressive! It sounds like you were going through a really rough time under all your commitments; I don't blame you for stepping back.

Oh don't get me wrong: it was unbelievably ill advised and born of heartbreak! I mean, it was the beginning of a serious case of burnout. I'm always overambitious, but here especially, Do Not Recommend. I'm proud of how I did with Medea and the philosophy seminar, but I got an incomplete that semester that took me a whole year to finish because it I was so exhausted. Still wish I'd gotten the minor though. 

I totally feel you on feeling proud of your at-home translations and seeing them ripped apart. I feel like that's par for the course - there's just so much context that goes into all of these ancient languages. I also had a grammar fiend Greek prof, though thankfully in the first semesters, which was a good basis for everything else, but he'd totally shut down any attempt at embellishment or stretching the meaning of things. 

I don't envy translators' jobs - ideally you are a fantastic poet as well as a language boss and fully versed in the context. Makes me admire Anne Carson all the more. 

15 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

A writer friend of mine does events every year at Kelly Writers House at Penn and what I'm doing to him rn to try to get him to ask someone when results are coming out could honestly fall under the umbrella of cyber bullying and yet :( Can't stop myself

I don't usually condone any form of cyber bullying buuuuut.....

Are we also expecting Columbia this week?

12 minutes ago, Rani13 said:

Waitlisted at UVA with a rather odd email. OK.

Ahhh that spells rejection for me. I've heard nothing but crickets from them. A waitlist isn't anything to sneeze at! There's still hope!

Just now, caffeinated applicant said:

I'll bite--I must know what was odd about it. (Only if you're comfortable sharing!) 

Just a little strange because it said something like “you're on the waitlist but let us know if you actually want to be on it.” Just a little different from the standard “you're on the waitlist and we'll be in touch if there's any movement.”

5 minutes ago, Rani13 said:

Just a little strange because it said something like “you're on the waitlist but let us know if you actually want to be on it.” Just a little different from the standard “you're on the waitlist and we'll be in touch if there's any movement.”

Oooo, yeah, gotcha, one of those "do you want to go out on a date with me? if you want to, I want to...maybe. but I didn't ask you out if you don't want to!" waitlist offers. A friend of mine (not humanities) got one of those this cycle, and then when they expressed interest, the program kept asking them every couple of days if they had chosen a program... which was super annoying because this program got back to the friend a full 10 days or so before any other program, so they had to say, "No, I haven't heard from anywhere," several times. The program also only offered funding for 3 years, so it was especially like, "Believe me, I'll let you know if I hear back from anywhere else."

15 minutes ago, Rani13 said:

My waitlist notification from Michigan was the same way. I suspect it may be because getting in off the waitlist at these institutions is rare, but still... a weird way of putting it. 

4 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

Oooo, yeah, gotcha, one of those "do you want to go out on a date with me? if you want to, I want to...maybe. but I didn't ask you out if you don't want to!" waitlist offers. A friend of mine (not humanities) got one of those this cycle, and then when they expressed interest, the program kept asking them every couple of days if they had chosen a program... which was super annoying because this program got back to the friend a full 10 days or so before any other program, so they had to say, "No, I haven't heard from anywhere," several times. The program also only offered funding for 3 years, so it was especially like, "Believe me, I'll let you know if I hear back from anywhere else."

Wait ... this is insane behavior! Are you supposed to tell schools, whether they've waitlisted or accepted you, about other offers you have?? Assumed it would be a breach of etiquette but sheesh if some are asking...

Just now, meghan_sparkle said:

Wait ... this is insane behavior! Are you supposed to tell schools, whether they've waitlisted or accepted you, about other offers you have?? Assumed it would be a breach of etiquette but sheesh if some are asking...

To be clear, this program just wanted to know if my friend was accepting another offer/if program could give friend's slot to the first candidate on the waitlist! But they were extremely persistent. The professor who extended the informal offer (shortly before the full details came through) also sounded kind of like they expected my friend to turn it down, realizing that the small amount of money, only for three years, in a high COL city, with no health insurance, was not going to be a competitive offer. 

Just now, caffeinated applicant said:

To be clear, this program just wanted to know if my friend was accepting another offer/if program could give friend's slot to the first candidate on the waitlist! But they were extremely persistent. The professor who extended the informal offer (shortly before the full details came through) also sounded kind of like they expected my friend to turn it down, realizing that the small amount of money, only for three years, in a high COL city, with no health insurance, was not going to be a competitive offer. 

Ahh right I see. Still, so pushy!

1 minute ago, meghan_sparkle said:

Ahh right I see. Still, so pushy!

It was very off-putting just to hear about! I suppose it worked, though--I'm pretty sure my friend notified this program within hours after they received a fully-funded offer (with health insurance!) at a much higher-ranked program. 

I bartend at a mid-sized music venue which has 2 venues and 5 bars within, so we have a crazy huge staff, lots of security, etc. Last night I was working a [terrible] show, and walked in to balloons, flowers, a bottle of champagne, and a card signed by the whole staff. Two of the touring bands yelled "CONGRATS ON YALE!" because they had been served by an old friend of mine in a town 2 hours away earlier that day, who happened to have told them I had gotten in. Needless to say, I cried in public multiple times yesterday. I've never happy cried this much in my whole life. 

This process is still the worst f*cking thing tho 

1 minute ago, MichelleObama said:

I bartend at a mid-sized music venue which has 2 venues and 5 bars within, so we have a crazy huge staff, lots of security, etc. Last night I was working a [terrible] show, and walked in to balloons, flowers, a bottle of champagne, and a card signed by the whole staff. Two of the touring bands yelled "CONGRATS ON YALE!" because they had been served by an old friend of mine in a town 2 hours away earlier that day, who happened to have told them I had gotten in. Needless to say, I cried in public multiple times yesterday. I've never happy cried this much in my whole life. 

this is the purest thing i've ever heard

1 minute ago, MichelleObama said:

Out of reactions but this is the most heartwarming story I've ever heard and I love it ???

4 hours ago, sidneys said:

I'm emailing the grad program administrator now––I'll let you all know if I hear back from her!

I just got a response from the princeton administrator and she said that decisions will be received "by the end of february"...not super helpful but I guess it was worth a shot!