4 minutes ago, jm6394 said:

probably most annoyed with programs that’ve already sent acceptances, rejections and waitlist notifications but still have me in radio silence 

Same! I'm hoping for one that it means they're considering me for an MA slot at least. I'm not sure if you already hold an MA, but maybe it could mean that for you too? 

6 minutes ago, gooniesneversaydie said:

Same! I'm hoping for one that it means they're considering me for an MA slot at least. I'm not sure if you already hold an MA, but maybe it could mean that for you too? 

I do already have an MA, and where they asked I never opted into consideration for another MA...idk why else they’d be leaving people hanging!

14 minutes ago, jm6394 said:

I do already have an MA, and where they asked I never opted into consideration for another MA...idk why else they’d be leaving people hanging!

Very much agree. Feeling very put out by the fact that a few of the schools I'm waiting for already seem to have made their decisions but haven't decided to tell me for reasons unknown to all but themselves. I also have an MA and have opted out of consideration for a terminal MA everywhere I could.

Edited by ja.col

I got into my top choice, so I'm very happy, but I'm wondering about how (or if?) I should go about contacting a POI at another school where I was rejected (ten minutes before being accepted by my top choice, hah!). I would like the opportunity to discuss my work with them down the line, as I am very much interested in this person's work, and they showed interest in mine, and we had a one-on-one interview a couple of weeks before decisions arrived. Should I wait a little? Should I mention that there's no hard feelings about my being rejected whatsoever, or just not mention my being rejected at all? 

2 hours ago, Lblack said:

Same! I’m anxious to get the final rejection/acceptance. I’ll likely end up choosing UCR anyways, but it would be nice to have options. 

Hey, that’s great! I just finished up my undergrad at UCR last year. People like to be rude about the area and the school (in the context of the whole UC system) but the faculty is wonderful and so is the community. I considered going back there for their grad program just because of that, but ultimately decided to move on. If you do choose them, I think you’ll have a blast!

1 hour ago, timespentreading said:

As I posted here Thursday, I emailed U of Oregon, SUNY Buffalo, and Brown for updates on Thursday afternoon, since their deadlines were all mid-December, and I've seen notifications on the GC board. Even though everyone is swamped, I also thought this would be a good way to gauge how overstretched the department is, since a good friend of mine who's in a TT English professorship told me if they don't have time for you as a prospective student, they won't have time for you as an enrolled student.

Brown emailed back same day, as I already posted here, saying it might be another week. Buffalo notified me to check my portal Friday morning; I'm on the waitlist there. And Oregon finally emailed me back Friday at about 6pm with this:

"Thank you for reaching out. I understand that waiting can be the toughest part. It is my understanding from the Admission Committee that notifications are anticipated to be out by the end of February. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I do hope this helps."

Here's hoping we all get many updates this week!

Thank you so much for posting these updates! I literally woke up this morning thinking “BROWN” and scrabbling to check my email. I fully expect to get rejected, but I just want to know for sure already!

Also, I’ve been thinking lately about possible difficulties in establishing a solid community wherever it is that I go. For most of us, this fall will bring a massive move, some even cross-country. I’ve heard that some programs can be very isolated or antisocial, which to me is a con because much of the work we’ll be doing is stressful and lonely to begin with. Am I wrong to worry about this? Does anyone have experience with this? 

Personally, I’ve made a big move before and I was lucky to establish a great social circle, but I was an undergrad in an exchange program. This feels fundamentally different. 

28 minutes ago, tinymica said:

Also, I’ve been thinking lately about possible difficulties in establishing a solid community wherever it is that I go. For most of us, this fall will bring a massive move, some even cross-country. I’ve heard that some programs can be very isolated or antisocial, which to me is a con because much of the work we’ll be doing is stressful and lonely to begin with. Am I wrong to worry about this? Does anyone have experience with this? 

Personally, I’ve made a big move before and I was lucky to establish a great social circle, but I was an undergrad in an exchange program. This feels fundamentally different. 

Definitely not alone. Last year I made a huge move from east coast to west coast for a program and it turned out to be a nightmare. Not having an established security net makes the process all the more daunting. I also am incredibly introverted (with just a hint of social anxiety) so when I went to the meet and greet weekend, I had a really hard time building relationships - granted 2 days isn't enough time. However, it was a great way to gauge the community and potential social circles. I opted to stay with a grad host over night, which was terrifying but definitely helped. Luckily, they were incredibly honest about the pros and cons of the program. For someone like me, it's hard to force myself into any conversation, but it's got to be done for this process. My undergrad profs always recommended I reach out to current grad students via email even before hearing from the school to gauge the potential support. Did I do this? God no. Again, terrified introvert. But the visits, if offered and possible to attend, do help. 

Another Monday rolls around... I have the day off from work (presidents day) and was kind of hoping that it would be a slow start to the week with other folks taking the Monday off, but it doesn't look that way so far. Anyone want to claim the UVA acceptance on the board?

Also, congrats to the folks reporting Oxford and other acceptances! 

5 hours ago, Taihoku said:

I got into my top choice, so I'm very happy, but I'm wondering about how (or if?) I should go about contacting a POI at another school where I was rejected (ten minutes before being accepted by my top choice, hah!). I would like the opportunity to discuss my work with them down the line, as I am very much interested in this person's work, and they showed interest in mine, and we had a one-on-one interview a couple of weeks before decisions arrived. Should I wait a little? Should I mention that there's no hard feelings about my being rejected whatsoever, or just not mention my being rejected at all? 

Hi Taihoku, congrats on being accepted into your top choice! I was in a similar situation and here's my two cents:

I responded to the rejection by expressing my disappointment (need to be very diplomatic - you don't want to sound bitter, sour, or salty), reaffirming my interest in their program and their work, and asking if there would be opportunities in the near future to visit/collaborate/etc. My POI was very nice and gestured towards possible opportunities. 

I might be overthinking it, but not mentioning the rejection, or saying that there's no hard feelings, might come across as a little bit arrogant. Academia is a small world and that's the last impression you'd want to leave. Also, I don't think there's a need to tell the POI that you got into another school before they ask. They probably will ask you though, given that they showed interest in your work, then it's time for you to answer and express your interest to stay in touch.

Hope it helps and best of luck! Congrats again for getting into your dream school!

Ah yes, the horror of realizing months after submitting an application that two faculty members at that school have research interests that fit perfectly with your own but you totally did not mention them at all in your SoP (and instead mentioned faculty with interests less neatly aligned with your own...) ... :') Very much a "repeatedly hitting my head on my desk" type moment. 

Just got waitlisted at Michigan! It’s silly but this makes me so happy and gives me so much hope both for Michigan and for the remaining programs I have yet to hear from. 

If you were offered admission and are likely not going to accept, please let them know!! I’m absolutely in love with Michigan and it would be the greatest thing to get off that waitlist!

Hmmm... ?  So what happens if you haven’t heard from Michigan yet? HOPE! The kind of possibilities that I’m conjuring up! Maybe Brown will send their final acceptances this week. Maybe they can only inform 1-2 people everyday!  Maybe I won’t get in anywhere, and then I’ll get an offer from Harvard! 
How this messes up with our heads! How we let it! 

1 minute ago, onerepublic96 said:

Just got waitlisted at Michigan! It’s silly but this makes me so happy and gives me so much hope both for Michigan and for the remaining programs I have yet to hear from. 

If you were offered admission and are likely not going to accept, please let them know!! I’m absolutely in love with Michigan and it would be the greatest thing to get off that waitlist!

Ah so happy for you and keeping my fingers crossed you get off that list!!