"Institutionally monogamous" is definitely the phrase of the day.

(Also echoing MichelleObama, I really appreciate this forum as a helpful information stream/easy way to channel anxieties without bothering friends and family who have no idea how this works and who don't need to hear every little bump on the rollercoaster. Plus I feel like I've learned an enormous amount, not only about applications but about rankings, the job market, conferences, etc in the process.)

Congrats to the UW and Tufts acceptances!

1 hour ago, MichelleObama said:

Congratulations on your UW offer! I just finished my undergrad there in December and the English Department is so hella wonderful. I've also lived in Seattle for my whole life should you (or anyone) have any questions.

Thank you so much! I'm very happy and excited to visit campus in March. I'd love to hear more about your experience there and get some tips about Seattle-living! I'll likely be PM'ing you in the near future.

Took a break from checking my email over the weekend and saw this morning that I had missed an email from the DGS at Hopkins notifying me that I'm on the waitlist! Still no acceptances, but now have a few waitlists under my belt. It's certainly reaffirming, but looking like it's going to be a very, very long haul of waiting for me... Still have 5 or 6 programs that I haven't gotten official word from, though. I'm *hoping* that if I've gotten multiple waitlists it bodes well for my chances for an acceptance at one of the remaining schools - or that between all of the waitlists something will come through. But the pressure is certainly high and I'm experiencing all kinds of anxiety and terror. fingers crossed for good news for all this next week!

20 minutes ago, Lblack said:

Has anyone else heard from USC? I saw one acceptance on the board 

No, and hopefully it's classified correctly as the English and non-Creative Writing track, but the Creative Writing PhD draft on fb hasn't reported any acceptances/waitlists on that end.

Edited by merry night wanderer

1 hour ago, merry night wanderer said:

No, and hopefully it's classified correctly as the English and non-Creative Writing track, but the Creative Writing PhD draft on fb hasn't reported any acceptances/waitlists on that end.

I was hoping the same thing! This is pretty much the only school I'm waiting to hear back from at this point, and it seems like every schools acceptances are more delayed than usual this year. ?

2 minutes ago, spikeseagulls said:

I was hoping the same thing! This is pretty much the only school I'm waiting to hear back from at this point, and it seems like every schools acceptances are more delayed than usual this year. ?

For whatever it is worth, PSU does rolling admissions.

On 2/15/2020 at 6:41 PM, dorabot said:

They told me it's not a ranked waitlist, per se. I don't know if I'd go there, but probably. I'm waitlisted at other schools I'd like to get into too.

If it is not a ranked list, it is likely sorted by area of interest.

7 minutes ago, spikeseagulls said:

Same! I’m anxious to get the final rejection/acceptance. I’ll likely end up choosing UCR anyways, but it would be nice to have options. 

3 minutes ago, Warelin said:

For whatever it is worth, PSU does rolling admissions.

If it is not a ranked list, it is likely sorted by area of interest.

Thank you! One of my professors ended up not submitting my recommendation, so I'm pretty much out for Penn State (which was odd because she submitted it to other schools). Sucks because by the time she told me that she "never agreed to do that recommendation" and recommended I find someone else, it was past the deadline and wayyy too late to find a new recommender. Which is super disappointing because they have a great joint PhD program. 

1 minute ago, Lblack said:

Same! I’m anxious to get the final rejection/acceptance. I’ll likely end up choosing UCR anyways, but it would be nice to have options. 

Agreed! That's how I'm feeling about UC Irvine. Options always sound nice in theory (even though I know I'll feel super bad if I have to turn down a perfectly good one). But I just want to enroll already LOL

4 minutes ago, Lblack said:

’ll likely end up choosing UCR anyways, but it would be nice to have options.

1 minute ago, spikeseagulls said:

Agreed! That's how I'm feeling about UC Irvine.

If I recall correctly, the UC system allows you to take classes at any nearby UC colleges that have a PHD program.

1 minute ago, spikeseagulls said:

Agreed! That's how I'm feeling about UC Irvine. Options always sound nice in theory (even though I know I'll feel super bad if I have to turn down a perfectly good one). But I just want to enroll already LOL

UCI has a beautiful campus. I presented at their queer theory conference, and they were incredibly welcoming. 

Did you do your undergrad in CA? 

5 minutes ago, spikeseagulls said:

Thank you! One of my professors ended up not submitting my recommendation, so I'm pretty much out for Penn State (which was odd because she submitted it to other schools). Sucks because by the time she told me that she "never agreed to do that recommendation" and recommended I find someone else, it was past the deadline and wayyy too late to find a new recommender. Which is super disappointing because they have a great joint PhD program. 

By chance, did you e-mail PSU about this concern? Sometimes, departments only need two letters and are willing to overlook the third. Not all departments are willing to do so but some are happy to oblige as long as you have two letters submitted. In the past, Penn State required its MA applicants to reapply to continue to to PHD program.I think they mentioned that their acceptance rate for MA to PHD was 80-85 percent or so. The remaining spot or two would go to outside PHD applicants.

7 minutes ago, Warelin said:

By chance, did you e-mail PSU about this concern? Sometimes, departments only need two letters and are willing to overlook the third. Not all departments are willing to do so but some are happy to oblige as long as you have two letters submitted. In the past, Penn State required its MA applicants to reapply to continue to to PHD program.I think they mentioned that their acceptance rate for MA to PHD was 80-85 percent or so. The remaining spot or two would go to outside PHD applicants.

Yeah, USC was willing to overlook my missing letter. Luckily, my letter writer eventually submitted one. But, I’ve heard many departments don’t fault the applicant for a missing letter.

15 minutes ago, Lblack said:

UCI has a beautiful campus. I presented at their queer theory conference, and they were incredibly welcoming. 

Did you do your undergrad in CA? 

They do! I visited during the summer program I participated in this summer. I also study queer theory! 

I did not. I attended undergrad in Delaware, and I've lived on the East Coast since high school. So this will be a pretty big transition for me!

14 minutes ago, Warelin said:

5 minutes ago, Lblack said:

Yeah, USC was willing to overlook my missing letter. Luckily, my letter writer eventually submitted one. But, I’ve heard many departments don’t fault the applicant for a missing letter.

Wow, I had no idea! I will definitely reach out. Hope it's not too late, thank you guys so much!!! I'm pretty late to be asking, but I have nothing to lose at this point (except 60 dollars lol)

Edited by spikeseagulls

Can we all just collectively close our eyes and see if we can make time jump? If it could be like, Thursday, that would be super. Or March. March would be good too. 

The continued waiting.......   madness. 

24 minutes ago, spikeseagulls said:

They do! I visited during the summer program I participated in this summer. I also study queer theory! 

I did not. I attended undergrad in Delaware, and I've lived on the East Coast since high school. So this will be a pretty big transition for me!

You’ll love it! Irvine is a really nice area to live in. I’d rather live there than LA. 

As I posted here Thursday, I emailed U of Oregon, SUNY Buffalo, and Brown for updates on Thursday afternoon, since their deadlines were all mid-December, and I've seen notifications on the GC board. Even though everyone is swamped, I also thought this would be a good way to gauge how overstretched the department is, since a good friend of mine who's in a TT English professorship told me if they don't have time for you as a prospective student, they won't have time for you as an enrolled student.

Brown emailed back same day, as I already posted here, saying it might be another week. Buffalo notified me to check my portal Friday morning; I'm on the waitlist there. And Oregon finally emailed me back Friday at about 6pm with this:

"Thank you for reaching out. I understand that waiting can be the toughest part. It is my understanding from the Admission Committee that notifications are anticipated to be out by the end of February. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I do hope this helps."

Here's hoping we all get many updates this week!

16 minutes ago, timespentreading said:

As I posted here Thursday, I emailed U of Oregon, SUNY Buffalo, and Brown for updates on Thursday afternoon, since their deadlines were all mid-December, and I've seen notifications on the GC board. Even though everyone is swamped, I also thought this would be a good way to gauge how overstretched the department is, since a good friend of mine who's in a TT English professorship told me if they don't have time for you as a prospective student, they won't have time for you as an enrolled student.

Brown emailed back same day, as I already posted here, saying it might be another week. Buffalo notified me to check my portal Friday morning; I'm on the waitlist there. And Oregon finally emailed me back Friday at about 6pm with this:

"Thank you for reaching out. I understand that waiting can be the toughest part. It is my understanding from the Admission Committee that notifications are anticipated to be out by the end of February. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I do hope this helps."

Here's hoping we all get many updates this week!

Thank you for keeping us all updated!