8 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

Whyyyy has this week been so much quieter than expected? Where oh where is Princeton? 

I was just thinking, "If they had really finalized decisions on Thursday, why would they wait this long to start making phone calls?!" I woke up violently, frantically looking for my phone, and my poor partner looked SO over it ? 

Edited by MichelleObama
I apparently do not understand quotation marks or basic punctuation

15 minutes ago, MichelleObama said:

I was just thinking, "If they had really finalized decisions on Thursday, why would they wait this long to start making phone calls?!" I woke up violently, frantically looking for my phone, and my poor partner looked SO over it ? 

Tbh that could have just been the final department meeting; my understanding is most schools need to then to go GSAS and get everything approved/finalized. But yes ... quite a long gap between last Thursday and now! Especially if we don't hear til Monday, which I'm starting to think is the more likely possibility unless they pop up in the next hour or two!

20 minutes ago, MichelleObama said:

3 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

Tbh that could have just been the final department meeting; my understanding is most schools need to then to go GSAS and get everything approved/finalized. But yes ... quite a long gap between last Thursday and now! Especially if we don't hear til Monday, which I'm starting to think is the more likely possibility unless they pop up in the next hour or two!

I've been thinking just this... I heard from Stanford over a week ago and have had no news since......... Zilch (probably not good but still)....

4 hours ago, Rrandle101 said:

I know some people including myself still have nothing in their UCLA portal and wanted to share some comments one of my profs had about it. I told him what was up and said that I suspected someone was going through and manually updating them and that within a few days mine would just be a rejection but he suggested that some schools have an 'internal waitlist' where they won't tell you that you're on it but they have you on the hook just in case (isn't that fun?). Not sure if that's the case but it is something that happens apparently.

Yeah, but how long could this waitlist be? I physically know a handful of people who haven't received acceptances or rejections.... hmmm.... 

31 minutes ago, jm6394 said:

Nothing for me

JK—just got my rejection email. If anyone is worrying you won’t get in somewhere because a lower ranked program rejected you, DON’T. It’s fit and passion. Good luck everyone!!

Edited by jm6394

Just now, vondafkossum said:

And with that, my season closes. After two cycles of shut outs, I want to be very grown up and mature about all this (like I said I was going to be). But I am just so sad. 

There's nothing immature about letting yourself process your emotions! Take it easy on yourself, I'm wishing you peace + happiness through this all

11 hours ago, MichelleObama said:

I am likely going to be doing the opposite switch as my undergrad institution operated on a quarter system and the programs I am considering operate on semesters, but I do know that whenever my professors have lamented the quarter system, it has often been due to the fact that although students have the opportunity to experience an extra course in an academic year, you don't get as much time to marinate with the material, desired texts for the curriculum get omitted because of insufficient time, etc. In WA, the majority of the public post-secondary schools in the state operate on the quarter system, so I haven't actually experienced a semester system since high school. I think I'm looking forward to it? I have been craving more time to dwell with course material, but another benefit of the quarter system is that when I have registered for a course I wish would be over already, the class is probably pretty close to its conclusion by the time I arrive at mine. 

Thanks for the response! It doesn't sound too bad though, especially for an English PhD program, which obviously would be rigorous regardless of whether its quarter or semester system. Hopefully the adjustment period isn't too rough!