Whew! Cornell rejection ends my run this cycle. At least I already got accepted at a great school so this softens the blow. Good luck everyone still waiting to get in somewhere, you just need one and I'll be rooting for you all :) 

Edited by WanYesOnly

Cornell's Comparative Literature program still hasn't updated the portals to reject/waitlist people (even though they started accepting people weeks ago), and while I think it's a bit irritating to have not heard back for so long it makes me appreciate programs that at least will respond to you quickly if you are waitlisted/rejected

41 minutes ago, coffeelyf said:

First Emory acceptee on the board said they only have 5 spots. Can anyone claim that acceptance and did anyone else hear from Emory? 

I was rejected by Cornell as well, which I kind of expected because it was the worst fit out of my 9 programs.

@coffeelyf I heard back from them, and got waitlisted.

I had put together a 4-year trend of the GC acceptance dates for all the schools where I applied. I just looked at the rejection dates, and they are super depressing. Last year, it looks like Oregon didn't send rejections until March 11! Rochester and UConn sent out rejections about 10 days after acceptances, and Brown about 5 days later (though the first Brown acceptance last year wasn't until Feb. 22). At least Yale and Cornell notified all applicants within a day or two!

I was hoping I would know a lot more by the end of this week, but it looks like I'll need to adjust my expectations until March 1st at the earliest. I'm thinking of reaching out to the schools I haven't heard from on March 2nd. Has anyone else reached out to programs about timelines, or are you all waiting a while?

Not a literature applicant (other than Duke!), but I do literature (in area studies), and have been in this thread a lot these past few weeks to exacerbate/manage my anxieties, and figured I should post here too!

Literally ten minutes after getting rejected by one of my top choices, I got accepted to my top choice! What an absolute roller coaster! Super happy now!

The wait fucking sucks so much. I sincerely wish the best for all of you still waiting, try going to the movies, taking a walk! 

6 minutes ago, timespentreading said:

I was hoping I would know a lot more by the end of this week, but it looks like I'll need to adjust my expectations until March 1st at the earliest. I'm thinking of reaching out to the schools I haven't heard from on March 2nd. Has anyone else reached out to programs about timelines, or are you all waiting a while?

I reached out to Maryland on Monday about timeline but didn't receive a response, which I take to mean "you'll find out when you find out." 

Other than them, I'm going to try to hold out until March 15th to email for info. If by March 1st I have at least one offer and I'm just waiting to hear back from one or two programs, though, I may email as a "I need to make decisions on this offer/these offers" deal. 

1 hour ago, onerepublic96 said:

aaaand just got a rejection. fun times.

I went to Cornell undergrad, obviously an incredible English program but I’m happy to talk you down from this disappointment. Onto the next and fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, Cryss said:

Might be tomorrow if they hold fast to their tradition from previous years. 

In other news, Cornell and Rice rejections for me this week.

In 2018 and 2019 they notified on Thursday (15th and 14th respectively) so tbh I thought it would be today! Ah well.

2 minutes ago, merry night wanderer said:

Holy hell. 

Yes! BUT—I’ve spoken to him over the years and it sounded like they are always around 300, and cohorts are large (usually high teens to 20)

1 minute ago, merry night wanderer said:

Ah, okay! So it wasn't an unprecedented amount for them. It seems a lot compared to similarly ranked schools like UC Davis who I think report 175 or so. 

Probably just the NYC dreamers ?

1 minute ago, meghan_sparkle said:

Do you know how many they admitted out of curiosity? (If this info was in any of the emails we've been sent I missed it)

A POI I skyped with after I was admitted said they had "about 10 places" to offer

Edited by Indecisive Poet