53 minutes ago, Wimsey said:

Congrats! I did my BA at Rochester. They have some great resources for medievalists (assuming that is your subfield)!

Thanks! Yes, I'm super excited about their medieval stuff!! It's the main reason I applied. I really love the program, and there are just so many great opportunities for medievalists there!

3 hours ago, spikeseagulls said:

Wow ngl, I'm pretty embarrassed about posting this in the wrong place:

I was contacted by the DGS at UC Irvine for an interview (video I'm guessing) and I'm shocked ngl. Happy shocked though! I just received a rejection from a significantly lower ranked school today, so I kind of assumed the worst lol.

Congrats! :) Good luck on the interview. Being contacted for this is an extremely good sign. Fingers crossed.

Edited by ArcaMajora

11 hours ago, Lblack said:

Thank you so much! I’m still in shock. I only applied to three schools, and UCR was my top choice. So this was best-case scenario for me. I was really hoping to be able to stay in Southern California since I have a kindergartner and moving would be difficult. I’m so excited about the award since I don’t have to teach my first year now (and because of the additional $). I was anticipating a much more stressful wait, so I’m incredibly relieved. 

I went there for my undergrad and kept tabs with some of the faculty. PM me if you have any questions about faculty. Some have left since my time there but I'm familiar with most.

UCR has a great department and good people in it. Enjoy every second of it! 

It seems odd that there are only 2 acceptances on the board for both Brown and NYU this year given that there are typically 4–6 on TGC for those programs. My best guesses are that either those programs are both admitting smaller cohorts this year (given lack of placement across the board in recent years) or that others who use TGC received offers but have not gotten around to posting them yet. Either way, I'm taking a loss on NYU.

Edited by Indecisive Poet

1 hour ago, Indecisive Poet said:

those programs are both admitting smaller cohorts this year (given lack of placement across the board in recent years)

This seems to be a recurring theme across disciplines in the humanities — and a truly fascinating development.

33 minutes ago, Indecisive Poet said:

It seems odd that there are only 2 acceptances on the board for both Brown and NYU this year given that there are typically 4–6 on TGC for those programs. My best guesses are that either those programs are both admitting smaller cohorts this year (given lack of placement across the board in recent years) or that others who use TGC received offers but have not gotten around to posting them yet. Either way, I'm taking a loss on NYU.

I wouldn't give up on Brown just yet. I was notified by email quite late yesterday, and the DGS said it was meant to be a phone call (but I don't have a working phone and had alerted the department about this, since it stopped working after I submitted apps w/contact details). I have a feeling the letter via portal will come in the next week or so, and people will be notified by phone leading up to it!

32 minutes ago, CanadianEnglish said:

Anyone heard anything from Brandeis? They usually send out acceptances/rejections by the first week of February but there's only one rejection on the board. 

I emailed them last week and they said they're still evaluating and didn't give me an approximate date for decisions.

Just now, StormChild said:

I'm in at Purdue! and with that... I'm happy to say that my application season is over. I'm so excited!

I am sooo jealous that your season is over. Shut out or not, I’m waiting on 8/9 schools and have no patience. I’m tired and sick of the will they won’t they. Congrats!!!!

6 hours ago, Indecisive Poet said:

Another possibility is that they nominated a few people for fellowships, so they had to process their acceptances first. I'm wouldn't mark it is an implied rejection till monday. this cycle I had one implied rejection turn to an acceptance and another into a waitlist

18 hours ago, jm6394 said:

Paying it forward...my advisor At CUNY is on sabbatical and wrote, re: my impatience/reading of a few acceptances, “I have no idea what's going on at the GC--but I don't think the fact that a couple of acceptances have gone out is meaningful. 

Thank you! This does make me feel a little better... haha... but a little is big during this anxiety ridden time.

This week. Is so. SLOW. I was bracing myself for an avalanche but instead I'm just refreshing results every hour or so pretending I have any control over my life right now lol. (It really does not help that I work a boring corporate job from home) 

Edited by merry night wanderer

44 minutes ago, StormChild said:

I'm in at Purdue! and with that... I'm happy to say that my application season is over. I'm so excited!

Congratulations, you must be so excited to have all of your decisions in! You now have me contemplating sending Purdue an email as well.

6 minutes ago, merry night wanderer said:

This week. Is so. SLOW. I was bracing myself for an avalanche but instead I'm just refreshing results every hour or so pretending I have any control over my life right now lol. (It really does not help that I work a boring corporate job from home) 

Same... from past years' results posts, it seemed like this week would be hell, with decisions coming out every day, but so far it's just been frustrating.

18 minutes ago, merry night wanderer said:

I know! I want to start my decision-making process, but I'm still waiting on a bunch of schools, all of which are highly ranked and could be game changers. The uncertainty is very frustrating!

So far I've seen acceptance posts for four schools where I applied: SUNY Buffalo, U of Oregon, Rochester, and Brown. Although receiving more rejections won't be fun, I'd rather receive SOME news this week, even if it's bad news. After the four schools above, I'll have five more pending. If past GC dates are any indication, I won't hear back from those until next week at the earliest.

I know we will most likely all know A LOT more within a week, but this is agonizing! 

Just got off the phone with the DGS at Irvine! I discovered that they have to conduct some sort of interview before making official offers (it was a pretty informal interview), and that this was as close as she could get to making an official offer. Currently trying to convince myself that this is real life...