2 minutes ago, jm6394 said:

Anyone else just twiddling their thumbs at a meaningless day job, no thesis or classes to distract you? Time is moving so s l o w l y

Me!!! There is literally nothing intellectually engaging for me to do here. I’m listening to audiobooks instead of music to try and keep me mind engaged in something besides absolute panic. 

2 minutes ago, MedievalIllusions said:

Me!!! There is literally nothing intellectually engaging for me to do here. I’m listening to audiobooks instead of music to try and keep me mind engaged in something besides absolute panic. 

Feel you. Plus the news / election are NO HELP AT ALL.  

5 minutes ago, jm6394 said:

Anyone else just twiddling their thumbs at a meaningless day job, no thesis or classes to distract you? Time is moving so s l o w l y

I feel this. I work an evening shift today, so right now I'm just sitting on the couch answering emails, reading, and getting an adrenaline rush every time my phone buzzes.

17 minutes ago, timespentreading said:

Is there any kind of unofficial guideline for when to reach out about your application status, especially if you've seen acceptances on Grad Cafe? I've received my rejections so far within a few days of seeing people post acceptances on here, but from the past years' info on here, it seems that some schools take forever to send official rejections. I was thinking about waiting until March 1st to check in, but I'm curious if anyone has insight on this.

Same question... I'm only waiting on one school. I'm almost sure it's a rejection, as I know someone who was accepted quite some time ago, but if, by some miracle, I was accepted, it would really throw a wrench in my decision. A good wrench... 

You're killing me Purdue. 

Edited by StormChild

1 hour ago, SomethingWicked said:

YES. I am struggling soooo hard with my thesis right now. Every time I sit down to write, my mind feels like it's bouncing and everything I write feels like garbage.

Solidarity, I feel you.

This is exactly what I'm dealing with. I'm practically finished with the research, I just need to write the thing, but all I can think about is whether the fellowships will come through and Purdue's upcoming decision. 

1 minute ago, StormChild said:

Same question... I'm only waiting on one school. I'm almost sure it's a rejection, as I know someone who was accepted quite some time ago, but if, by some miracle, it was an acceptance it would really throw a wrench in my decision. A good wrench... 

You're killing me Purdue. 

Looking at the past results for Purdue, it looks like they might be one of those that either doesn't notify rejections until very late (like...April) or operates an invisible waitlist. Since they're your only school left, if it were me, I think I would email them as soon as the end of the week and lay it on the table. Like, a polite version of "You're the last program I'm waiting to hear from, and I need an answer or at least a timeline for an answer so that I can start responding to my offers." The likely worst-case scenario is that they just don't respond to your email or respond with a generic "thanks for your patience while we figure out what we're doing." Best case scenario, they let you know that you're on the waitlist. 

Not sure if there are risks I'm not accounting for in this strategy, but I can't imagine asking would change the committee decision on your application. We're all professional adults here, etc etc.

1 hour ago, spikeseagulls said:

Not finishing a thesis, but finishing up my last semester of undergrad. Trying to focus is hell. You would think the fact that I can't attend grad unless I finish undergrad would be enough, but nope. ?

Ha! Yes, you'd think we'd be motivated to complete the requirements we need to fulfill our dreams of entering a grad program this fall. But this process thwarts rational thinking!

Just now, StormChild said:

This is exactly what I'm dealing with. I'm practically finished with the research, I just need to write the thing, but all I can think about is whether the fellowships will come through and Purdue's upcoming decision. 

I get that. I thought that getting an acceptance (finally) would take the edge off, but not knowing on the rest of my programs is killing me. Side note: I'm utterly convinced that waitlists are specifically organized to raise the blood pressure of poor, unsuspecting grad students.

It looks as though you have some good options though, so congrats on your acceptances! But I understand the frustration with Purdue, I'm waiting on them myself with their "rolling admissions," whatever thats supposed to mean haha

Best of luck on your thesis! 

1 minute ago, caffeinated applicant said:

Looking at the past results for Purdue, it looks like they might be one of those that either doesn't notify rejections until very late (like...April) or operates an invisible waitlist. Since they're your only school left, if it were me, I think I would email them as soon as the end of the week and lay it on the table. Like, a polite version of "You're the last program I'm waiting to hear from, and I need an answer or at least a timeline for an answer so that I can start responding to my offers." The likely worst-case scenario is that they just don't respond to your email or respond with a generic "thanks for your patience while we figure out what we're doing." Best case scenario, they let you know that you're on the waitlist. 

Not sure if there are risks I'm not accounting for in this strategy, but I can't imagine asking would change the committee decision on your application. We're all professional adults here, etc etc.

Thanks for this advice. I think I just needed someone to give me permission, honestly. 

5 hours ago, LearsFool said:

My first interview with Northeastern went so well, it was more like a conversation with a friend than an interview. And it looks like such a great fit for me, I don't think I can wait till next week to hear back on final decisions. 

Congratulations on the interview! I'm so glad to hear it went well. I'm actually a NU alum, and have nothing but amazing things to say about the English department. Out of curiosity, do you mind me asking who your POI is? Also, if you have any questions about NU or the department itself please feel free to message me.

19 hours ago, summersolstice said:

Has anyone heard from UCR?

I got in with the Eugene Cota Robles Award. Acceptances went out January 31st. I haven’t seen any waitlist or rejection notifications. Open house is March 4th, so maybe they will send out more notifications after that. Someone else said that they were aiming for a small cohort of only 4 or so students. 

42 minutes ago, Lblack said:

I got in with the Eugene Cota Robles Award. Acceptances went out January 31st. I haven’t seen any waitlist or rejection notifications. Open house is March 4th, so maybe they will send out more notifications after that. Someone else said that they were aiming for a small cohort of only 4 or so students. 

Congrats on the Cota Robles! That's great!!!

2 minutes ago, timespentreading said:

Brown acceptance on the board! (not mine)

There goes the rest of my work day--y'all know I'm just gonna be sitting by the phone instead of getting actual work done at my actual job. 

This is why I shouldn't go on Gradcafe during the day!! (I compromise and try to only go on Gradcafe during business hours.) 

1 minute ago, Wimsey said:

I don't anticipate an acceptance from Brown, as I don't think it's the best fit research-wise, but that won't stop me from watching my phone like a hawk for the rest of the afternoon.

You are not alone - I feel just the same!

1 minute ago, Rani13 said:

That would be me. My first acceptance and I’m thrilled.

Congrats!! If you don’t mind my asking, did your POI call you? And if so, did they mention anything about the timeline for the release of more decisions?

Just now, onerepublic96 said:

Congrats!! If you don’t mind my asking, did your POI call you? And if so, did they mention anything about the timeline for the release of more decisions?

Not at all. It was not my POI but rather Tamar Katz (grad admissions chair, I believe) who called. She did not mention anything about a timeline other than to say an official letter would come in the next week or two. Fingers crossed for all of you.

4 minutes ago, inchoate-eyes said:

Congrats!!! That's amazing

Thank you!