Howdy y'all. Long time listener, and now a first time poster. I just sent in my final app to Columbia for their English MA and can finally bask in the bliss that is of having completed ten applications! I'm wondering when NYU usually sends out their notices...

Edited by ccab4670

I heard Princeton's committee met and finalized decisions on Thursday so fates are decided there, eek. They've released on 14th February for yeeeeears so I wouldn't necessarily expect it earlier this year, but there you are. 

7 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

I heard Princeton's committee met and finalized decisions on Thursday so fates are decided there, eek. They've released on 14th February for yeeeeears so I wouldn't necessarily expect it earlier this year, but there you are. 

Ooh, good to know! Time to steel myself for those results.

35 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

I think we all better buckle up because next week promises to be ~eventful~...

Oh yes! ??
I think all my schools are going to notify around the same time (13-15 Feb). One way or the other, it’s gonna be intense, folks! Really intense. Is it even possible to brace oneself against that unknown inevitability? ? 

Fingers crossed for everyone hoping to hear this week!

I’ve got two implied rejections and two unknowns left on the board that I most likely won’t hear back from until the last week in February. Already planning for a second-cycle shut out and making moves to improve upon on my back up back up plans. 

3 hours ago, meghan_sparkle said:

My brain processing this news:

Image result for this is fine meme

Edited by Cryss

1 hour ago, alittlebitofthat said:

Oh yes! ??
I think all my schools are going to notify around the same time (13-15 Feb). One way or the other, it’s gonna be intense, folks! Really intense. Is it even possible to brace oneself against that unknown inevitability? ? 

It’s crazy how this messes with one’s mind. I still have 11 schools to hear back from (one of which is an implied rejection), but having already had to read through 4 rejection letters is making me feel like all hope is lost. Rationally, I know I still have a long way to go before I’m actually at that point, but the emotions of it all, man...

Re: all the folks talking about Michigan ( @jm6394 @hamnet in tights @CanadianEnglish etc.), their director of graduate studies told me this in an email (yes, I send a lot of emails) regarding the English and Women's Studies program: "The admissions committee is currently reviewing files and we expect the review process to wrap up in mid-February. Notifications to applicants will go out before the end of February." 

So, we've still got a bit of a wait ?

52 minutes ago, Wimsey said:

I aspire to have your search engine skills! How did you come across such an obscure calendar reference?! LOL

Also, thanks for sharing this!!!

1 minute ago, noneckmonsters said:

I aspire to have your search engine skills! How did you come across such an obscure calendar reference?! LOL

Also, thanks for sharing this!!!

Lol it's actually thanks to one of my family members, who is very interested in my admissions journey and did some sleuthing to figure out when I might get the decision.

So I know this thread is more about the application cycle in and of itself but would any of y'all be interested in making a google doc or something like that with a series of primary/secondary sources that y'all think are most important/entertaining for the field you're in? I have taken a grand total of 8 classes related to medieval lit (not even counting my Latin training) and only one class in another period of literature which was a fun-filled course on 20th century literary theory. I know there are some online lists compiled already but I'm curious what works made other people here want to study what they are studying and try to read through some of them during the summer. 

2 minutes ago, Rrandle101 said:

So I know this thread is more about the application cycle in and of itself but would any of y'all be interested in making a google doc or something like that with a series of primary/secondary sources that y'all think are most important/entertaining for the field you're in? I have taken a grand total of 8 classes related to medieval lit (not even counting my Latin training) and only one class in another period of literature which was a fun-filled course on 20th century literary theory. I know there are some online lists compiled already but I'm curious what works made other people here want to study what they are studying and try to read through some of them during the summer. 

I love this idea! 

I'd love to get to know other periods better. It's just hard to find the time, and having someone else curate a place to start would be super helpful.

1 hour ago, Shakespeares Sister said:

next week is a big one!

All kinds of hopes and prayers and wishes for us all, and especially those of us who still haven’t had any acceptances. May the adcom gods smile upon us ?

I made a doc that y'all can edit if you'd like for different books/sources that you really enjoy! I'll probably post it in the other thread about what people are reading and then just let it do its thing and not pester y'all about it unless someone asks for the link again. I only put primary sources because I didn't want to go overboard but y'all feel free to do either:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s6FpFX04Nz2mHm1aSal-zr-6VXEmWdQYt0ZjB8Wg3H4/edit?usp=sharing

Best of luck to everyone next week and try to get some sleep!

1 minute ago, grace2137 said:

Who all are we expecting to hear from this next week? I know Johns Hopkins notified in early feb last year so they should be any time, princeton, nyu, UVA, possibly cuny... 

I'm also hoping for boston, michigan, and cornell 

31 minutes ago, grace2137 said:

Who all are we expecting to hear from this next week? I know Johns Hopkins notified in early feb last year so they should be any time, princeton, nyu, UVA, possibly cuny... 

If I don't here from Indiana's Comparative Literature program I'm gonna lose my damn mind

1 hour ago, onerepublic96 said:

I'm also hoping for boston, michigan, and cornell 

I second Michigan and Cornell! Also hoping to hear from Brown and NYU.

Is it bad that I'm sort of hoping all the rest of my decisions will be rejections because I feel stressed enough already about picking between the two offers I currently have?

6 hours ago, The Hoosier Oxonian said:

Is it bad that I'm sort of hoping all the rest of my decisions will be rejections because I feel stressed enough already about picking between the two offers I currently have?

Mood.

This is me every time a bit of positive news enters my inbox: EQYtjgNW4AA8b_N.jpg:large

Edit: Just for the record (since my sense of humor is terrible) I'm kidding, I love several of the places I haven't heard back from, but oh man. Trying to figure out whether I should go to the café first and library second or the other way around paralyzes me with indecision most days. How will I make an even harder decision??

Edited by meghan_sparkle

On 2/9/2020 at 8:21 PM, grace2137 said:

Princeton, NYU, and Colorado this week, probably. Eek! Plus, someone just posted a Cambridge interview on the results page, although I'm not panicking because I know they tend to send their applicants news at many different times throughout February and March.