Jump to content

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Puurple said:

I just realized there are funded MA programs with deadlines left (I'm looking at you, Villanova). I am now about to embark on a not-so-rushed process to apply for some. I'm using a previous thread to guide me, but if anyone has off the top of their heads, funded MA programs without past deadlines, let me know please! I am totally adapting my original plans some. It may not be too late to try.

UNC Wilmington's MA program offers funded teaching assistantships to select applicants, and their priority deadline isn't until March 15. Georgia State also offers funding in the form of writing studio work for first year MA students and teaching assistantships for second year MA students, and their deadline is on February 15. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Romanticist said:

Same. This was my top choice & not going to lie it hurts! Where else have you applied? Do not give up! I was rejected from many schools over the last 9 years and finally just got one funded acceptance (to Davis). Honestly Davis is a better fit for me than Berkeley anyway. 

Hope we cross paths at an MLA Conference one day because, based on your earlier post, your research interests sound fascinating & important!

Thank you so much! I appreciate this, and I honestly feel the way. It was my dream school, but not necessarily my perfect fit, and that's something I came to terms with. Notre Dame definitely suits my interests more.  Congratulations on your acceptance, and I would love to hear more about your interests. I will actually be at the NeMLA conference this year. My first one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, meghan_sparkle said:

Did you check the portal? 

Yup, nothing. 🙁

Edited by spikeseagulls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 10:57 AM, meghan_sparkle said:

Just to qualify my earlier reply re: Berkeley: it might be the case that like most schools they extend more offers than they want to enroll, knowing a few will decline, so they might not actually pull from the waitlist every year if the no's hovers around the same number—but still I think that grad coordinator's framing, if true as conveyed, is kinda disingenuous.

I have a question, though unless current students are lurking maybe it won't get answered. When is a good idea for international applicants to book flights to visit dates? I'm an American living & working in the UK, and still have 6/8 schools to hear from (expecting nothing, though; even if I get rejected everywhere else I'll consider this cycle a success) so not 100% sure what days in March I should plan to be in the US. Right now it's Berkeley (weekend around the 13th) and Chicago (6th). I don't want to book a round trip flight just for the two I've heard from assuming I'll fly back after Berkeley's because these tickets will be nonrefundable (I know you can book flexible tickets, but they're way more expensive and probably outside of the travel allowance).

But then again, I guess most other schools I haven't heard from—even if by some miracle/poor choice on their part I get into any—would have visit dates much later in March, so the choice is already between two trips (one early March one later March) or one long trip (staying with family in between visits). I work from home so could do this. Just not sure what is the best idea ... organizationally. Anyway, this is silly, maybe I should just book now assuming I won't get in anywhere else? Tickets will only get more expensive the longer I wait, and judging by past years, I will have some news next week, and then the rest the week after. 

I am SO GLAD I didn't book my Chicago flight yesterday: Yale's visit is earlier!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, karamazov said:

UNC Wilmington's MA program offers funded teaching assistantships to select applicants, and their priority deadline isn't until March 15. Georgia State also offers funding in the form of writing studio work for first year MA students and teaching assistantships for second year MA students, and their deadline is on February 15. 

Thank you!

Does anyone else have an idea of English MA programs that have deadlines that have not passed, that also offer funding or the chance for a graduate assistantship? I am trying to find as many as possible to evaluate. I have Villanova, UNC Wilmington, and VCU so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy y'all. Long time listener, and now a first time poster. I just sent in my final app to Columbia for their English MA and can finally bask in the bliss that is of having completed ten applications! I'm wondering when NYU usually sends out their notices...

Edited by ccab4670

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard Princeton's committee met and finalized decisions on Thursday so fates are decided there, eek. They've released on 14th February for yeeeeears so I wouldn't necessarily expect it earlier this year, but there you are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

I heard Princeton's committee met and finalized decisions on Thursday so fates are decided there, eek. They've released on 14th February for yeeeeears so I wouldn't necessarily expect it earlier this year, but there you are. 

Ooh, good to know! Time to steel myself for those results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

35 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

I think we all better buckle up because next week promises to be ~eventful~...

Oh yes! 🤞🏼
I think all my schools are going to notify around the same time (13-15 Feb). One way or the other, it’s gonna be intense, folks! Really intense. Is it even possible to brace oneself against that unknown inevitability? 🥺 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fingers crossed for everyone hoping to hear this week!

I’ve got two implied rejections and two unknowns left on the board that I most likely won’t hear back from until the last week in February. Already planning for a second-cycle shut out and making moves to improve upon on my back up back up plans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, meghan_sparkle said:

I heard Princeton's committee met and finalized decisions on Thursday so fates are decided there, eek. They've released on 14th February for yeeeeears so I wouldn't necessarily expect it earlier this year, but there you are. 

My brain processing this news:

Image result for this is fine meme

 

Edited by Cryss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alittlebitofthat said:

 

Oh yes! 🤞🏼
I think all my schools are going to notify around the same time (13-15 Feb). One way or the other, it’s gonna be intense, folks! Really intense. Is it even possible to brace oneself against that unknown inevitability? 🥺 

It’s crazy how this messes with one’s mind. I still have 11 schools to hear back from (one of which is an implied rejection), but having already had to read through 4 rejection letters is making me feel like all hope is lost. Rationally, I know I still have a long way to go before I’m actually at that point, but the emotions of it all, man...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: all the folks talking about Michigan ( @jm6394 @hamnet in tights @CanadianEnglish etc.), their director of graduate studies told me this in an email (yes, I send a lot of emails) regarding the English and Women's Studies program: "The admissions committee is currently reviewing files and we expect the review process to wrap up in mid-February. Notifications to applicants will go out before the end of February." 

So, we've still got a bit of a wait 😩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Wimsey said:

I aspire to have your search engine skills! How did you come across such an obscure calendar reference?! LOL

Also, thanks for sharing this!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, noneckmonsters said:

I aspire to have your search engine skills! How did you come across such an obscure calendar reference?! LOL

Also, thanks for sharing this!!!

Lol it's actually thanks to one of my family members, who is very interested in my admissions journey and did some sleuthing to figure out when I might get the decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I know this thread is more about the application cycle in and of itself but would any of y'all be interested in making a google doc or something like that with a series of primary/secondary sources that y'all think are most important/entertaining for the field you're in? I have taken a grand total of 8 classes related to medieval lit (not even counting my Latin training) and only one class in another period of literature which was a fun-filled course on 20th century literary theory. I know there are some online lists compiled already but I'm curious what works made other people here want to study what they are studying and try to read through some of them during the summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rrandle101 said:

So I know this thread is more about the application cycle in and of itself but would any of y'all be interested in making a google doc or something like that with a series of primary/secondary sources that y'all think are most important/entertaining for the field you're in? I have taken a grand total of 8 classes related to medieval lit (not even counting my Latin training) and only one class in another period of literature which was a fun-filled course on 20th century literary theory. I know there are some online lists compiled already but I'm curious what works made other people here want to study what they are studying and try to read through some of them during the summer. 

I love this idea! 

I'd love to get to know other periods better. It's just hard to find the time, and having someone else curate a place to start would be super helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.