On 2/7/2020 at 10:20 AM, hamnet in tights said:

My understanding is that that program generally responds somewhat later. Best of luck to you, the cohorts are very, very small. 

Michigan posts their admissions statistics each year under Rackham's statistics page. The three English programs are listed separately. 

My expectations are so low but I’ve always been right at that overlap so it felt like I had to give it a shot! Really curious how many applications they got this year, I know they only take 2-3. 

On 2/7/2020 at 11:01 AM, Shakespeares Sister said:

I'm still waiting to hear back from many schools.

Same here— I’ve only heard from 1/9. Wish this process were slightly less chaotic!

1 hour ago, mickeys said:

Anyone heard from University of Toronto's Cinema Studies Institute? From previous years' records, looks like they'll be rolling out decisions some time next week but I was wondering if anyone heard from them already. Mine is still Under Review. Sorry if this isn't the right place, couldn't find the category.

I applied there too and heard nothing so far.

2 hours ago, undercaffeinated said:

I'm happy to share a little more about the Penn State offer I received! Was there anything specific you were curious about?

Ah! Congratulations!! So exciting.

Thanks for following up as well.

I suppose you probably wont have direct access to this information given that you were simply notified, but did the dgs happen to mention anything about whether they will be doing a mass admit or a staggered, case by case admissions process over the coming weeks

1 hour ago, Deleuze said:

Ah! Congratulations!! So exciting.

Thanks for following up as well.

I suppose you probably wont have direct access to this information given that you were simply notified, but did the dgs happen to mention anything about whether they will be doing a mass admit or a staggered, case by case admissions process over the coming weeks

Unfortunately the DGS did not. ? Anything on my part would be pure conjecture.

Based on past years, it does look like they release many admissions around this time, and then a few here and there as time goes on... I imagine because people decline offers, but then, I have no real idea.

17 hours ago, CanadianEnglish said:

I’m confused as well - it seems like a couple of my schools are doing a couple admit or reject a day. Maybe schools are adapting the “sending out information in waves” strategy? Pitt, Penn, Michigan, and now Brandeis have all released just some news, but not to every student yet. Just frustrating being in the dark of it all. But the poster said it was a generic email so maybe there’s hope for us since we didn’t get it? I’m assuming Brandeis will contact more people tomorrow since they’ve sent out news the first week of February for the past couple years. 

If you'd like any info from me about my Pitt offer, I'd be happy to share! Just send me a PM. I would guess no explicit rejection is a good thing since other people received rejections

Congratulations to the Yale admits--what incredible news!

My news of the day is that I've finally received the ol' heave-ho from Carnegie Mellon, which I'd been expecting for a while. Hoping the CMU waitlists on the board (I know there are a few of you) get some good news from them soon--it seems like a great program, and PIttsburgh is an awesome city.

I just realized there are funded MA programs with deadlines left (I'm looking at you, Villanova). I am now about to embark on a not-so-rushed process to apply for some. I'm using a previous thread to guide me, but if anyone has off the top of their heads, funded MA programs without past deadlines, let me know please! I am totally adapting my original plans some. It may not be too late to try.

12 minutes ago, Puurple said:

I just realized there are funded MA programs with deadlines left (I'm looking at you, Villanova). I am now about to embark on a not-so-rushed process to apply for some. I'm using a previous thread to guide me, but if anyone has off the top of their heads, funded MA programs without past deadlines, let me know please! I am totally adapting my original plans some. It may not be too late to try.

UNC Wilmington's MA program offers funded teaching assistantships to select applicants, and their priority deadline isn't until March 15. Georgia State also offers funding in the form of writing studio work for first year MA students and teaching assistantships for second year MA students, and their deadline is on February 15. 

15 hours ago, Romanticist said:

Same. This was my top choice & not going to lie it hurts! Where else have you applied? Do not give up! I was rejected from many schools over the last 9 years and finally just got one funded acceptance (to Davis). Honestly Davis is a better fit for me than Berkeley anyway. 

Hope we cross paths at an MLA Conference one day because, based on your earlier post, your research interests sound fascinating & important!

Thank you so much! I appreciate this, and I honestly feel the way. It was my dream school, but not necessarily my perfect fit, and that's something I came to terms with. Notre Dame definitely suits my interests more.  Congratulations on your acceptance, and I would love to hear more about your interests. I will actually be at the NeMLA conference this year. My first one!

On 2/7/2020 at 10:57 AM, meghan_sparkle said:

Just to qualify my earlier reply re: Berkeley: it might be the case that like most schools they extend more offers than they want to enroll, knowing a few will decline, so they might not actually pull from the waitlist every year if the no's hovers around the same number—but still I think that grad coordinator's framing, if true as conveyed, is kinda disingenuous.

I have a question, though unless current students are lurking maybe it won't get answered. When is a good idea for international applicants to book flights to visit dates? I'm an American living & working in the UK, and still have 6/8 schools to hear from (expecting nothing, though; even if I get rejected everywhere else I'll consider this cycle a success) so not 100% sure what days in March I should plan to be in the US. Right now it's Berkeley (weekend around the 13th) and Chicago (6th). I don't want to book a round trip flight just for the two I've heard from assuming I'll fly back after Berkeley's because these tickets will be nonrefundable (I know you can book flexible tickets, but they're way more expensive and probably outside of the travel allowance).

But then again, I guess most other schools I haven't heard from—even if by some miracle/poor choice on their part I get into any—would have visit dates much later in March, so the choice is already between two trips (one early March one later March) or one long trip (staying with family in between visits). I work from home so could do this. Just not sure what is the best idea ... organizationally. Anyway, this is silly, maybe I should just book now assuming I won't get in anywhere else? Tickets will only get more expensive the longer I wait, and judging by past years, I will have some news next week, and then the rest the week after. 

I am SO GLAD I didn't book my Chicago flight yesterday: Yale's visit is earlier!!!! 

14 hours ago, karamazov said:

UNC Wilmington's MA program offers funded teaching assistantships to select applicants, and their priority deadline isn't until March 15. Georgia State also offers funding in the form of writing studio work for first year MA students and teaching assistantships for second year MA students, and their deadline is on February 15. 

Thank you!

Does anyone else have an idea of English MA programs that have deadlines that have not passed, that also offer funding or the chance for a graduate assistantship? I am trying to find as many as possible to evaluate. I have Villanova, UNC Wilmington, and VCU so far.