3 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

Does anyone know whether visit dates tend to be roughly the same year to year, or are they liable to change? 

I think most try to make visit dates roughly the same year to year. It can change based on university reservation space, faculty availability and other events happening around the same time.

6 minutes ago, bethisbetter said:

Does anyone have any theories or thoughts about why there's bigger applicant pool this cycle? Just curious.

A bunch of places dropped general GRE and/or subject test requirements this year, which I think probably played a big role.

There's also speculation that more people are applying because anecdotally the job market is actually pretty crappy in a lot of fields, whatever the Department of Labor statistics say, though personally, I don't think it's all that much worse in publishing or libraries or journalism or what have you now than it was two, three, four years ago. All those fields had really crappy job markets back then, too.

Received an email from the ADGS at Yale declaring their interest and requesting more information about my breaks during school???!!! It took me about a decade to finish my BA while working full-time and often paying out of pocket. Essentially, I took breaks from school because I had lost hope or funding and worked in the service industry until I could save enough to attend again. HOW DOES ONE SPIN THIS FOR YALE??? HOW DOES ONE TYPE WHEN SHAKING BECAUSE YALE

6 minutes ago, MichelleObama said:

Received an email from the ADGS at Yale declaring their interest and requesting more information about my breaks during school???!!! It took me about a decade to finish my BA while working full-time and often paying out of pocket. Essentially, I took breaks from school because I had lost hope or funding and worked in the service industry until I could save enough to attend again. HOW DOES ONE SPIN THIS FOR YALE??? HOW DOES ONE TYPE WHEN SHAKING BECAUSE YALE

I would write this information in a way that raises your eligibility and funding opportunities. Departments like to know students are committed to the field and can overcome obstacles (specially cause academia has so many obstacles!)... This is great! It probably means they are interested in your application!!! Best of luck!

5 minutes ago, MichelleObama said:

This is so exciting and such good news that Yale declared interest!!! And put just like that, you've got a good reason for breaks--you were working full time during your degree, and at times needed to withdraw from school to earn enough money to keep going. (I suppose be ready for them to ask specifically about each leave of absence just in case, but I don't think you need to start with that.) The fact that you did keep going, kept coming back, and get your BA is a huge testament to your dedication, perseverance, and resourcefulness and is seriously so impressive. Wishing you the very best luck!

1 hour ago, caffeinated applicant said:

A bunch of places dropped general GRE and/or subject test requirements this year, which I think probably played a big role.

There's also speculation that more people are applying because anecdotally the job market is actually pretty crappy in a lot of fields, whatever the Department of Labor statistics say, though personally, I don't think it's all that much worse in publishing or libraries or journalism or what have you now than it was two, three, four years ago. All those fields had really crappy job markets back then, too.

Ah the GRE makes sense, I hadn't even thought of that. Yeah, the job market isn't particularly worse this year so I didn't really understand. Interesting.

Just got my itinerary for the Emory visit. I'm nervous but I am also REALLY excited, especially because I'm apparently scheduled for an interview with a history faculty member who co-directs the Center for Digital Scholarship, which means they may want to know more about the research project I'm currently working on here in Charleston. I'm really looking forward to this trip!! This comes as a good boost after the bummer of a rejection from UT ?

Is anyone else on here going? 

I feel like I'm losing my mind waiting for UCLA, Berkeley, and Indiana's Comp. Lit. program to respond. Just out of curiosity, what places are y'all waiting on that typically respond sometime this week?

Hey everyone, just out of curiosity... did anyone else notice that there are no acceptances for UT Austin? Did it not accept anybody this time? This does not seem the case for past years. There are acceptances along with rejections on the same date for last year and the year before that. Does anyone have any insight about this?

3 minutes ago, Ida16 said:

Hey everyone, just out of curiosity... did anyone else notice that there are no acceptances for UT Austin? Did it not accept anybody this time? This does not seem the case for past years. There are acceptances along with rejections on the same date for last year and the year before that. Does anyone have any insight about this?

In their email to WL folks, they made it sound as if acceptances were already sent out ("We have strongly encouraged candidates who received first-round offers to make a timely decision") but it's a form letter that they likely wrote ahead of time, so grain of salt. Perhaps those with acceptances aren't active on the forum or didn't add to the board/post. 

1 hour ago, Ida16 said:

To chip in, I think some people are still sitting on applications that are "in review." Mine is like that--I haven't gotten a decision back on it, and I'm curious, too! My guess would be that they simply haven't finished sending out their decisions yet.

Has anyone else heard from UPitt? There's only 2 reports on the results page (an acceptance last week and a rejection today). 

I haven't heard anything from them and my application portal doesn't have any updates either. Has anyone else applied and not heard back yet? I haven't received a single thing from any school yet so I'm just antsy. 

Hope everyone is having a good Wednesday!!!

On 2/5/2020 at 10:16 AM, CanadianEnglish said:

Has anyone else heard from UPitt? There's only 2 reports on the results page (an acceptance last week and a rejection today). 

I got accepted to the Film & Media Studies program at UPitt and I applied through the English department. As far as I know, they notified candidates (who they think are a good fit for the program) pretty early, and we must respond by Feb 12 so they can issue a formal offer (coming from the Graduate College). After this date, if they did not hear back from the candidates (assuming they are going somewhere else), they will send out a second round of notifications. 

And UPitt will not update the portal. Although I got accepted, the portal says my application is still in review. 

I am still waiting to hear back from other schools. I know some people got rejected from them already so I think I might still have a chance. I guess no news is good news then... Good luck!