12 minutes ago, Rani13 said:

Not at all. It was not my POI but rather Tamar Katz (grad admissions chair, I believe) who called. She did not mention anything about a timeline other than to say an official letter would come in the next week or two. Fingers crossed for all of you.

Thank you, and congrats again! 

43 minutes ago, noneckmonsters said:

Congrats on the Cota Robles! That's great!!!

Thank you so much! I’m still in shock. I only applied to three schools, and UCR was my top choice. So this was best-case scenario for me. I was really hoping to be able to stay in Southern California since I have a kindergartner and moving would be difficult. I’m so excited about the award since I don’t have to teach my first year now (and because of the additional $). I was anticipating a much more stressful wait, so I’m incredibly relieved. 

I know I most likely won't hear anything from Emory until the end of the week, but I'm already obsessively overthinking my visit and interviews. I feel like I did well, and I was the only one there with a focus in Irish Studies, so I'm not necessarily competing against anyone else in terms of that, but this entire process is so nerve wracking ? 

Currently trying to work on my thesis (final draft is due in a month) and I just cannot concentrate. 

3 hours ago, TheDigitalHumanist said:

Congratulations on the interview! I'm so glad to hear it went well. I'm actually a NU alum, and have nothing but amazing things to say about the English department. Out of curiosity, do you mind me asking who your POI is? Also, if you have any questions about NU or the department itself please feel free to message me.

No problem at all. My POI was actually Sari Altschuler, but she's on leave this semster cause she's a visiting lecturer somewhere else. So I actually had my interview with Theo Davis and just now finished my second interview with Erika Boeckeler. They were both great, and it was very easy talking to them. Even though Professor Boeckeler is a Renaissance/RhetComp scholar she was interested with my take on the Bakhtinian grotesque in disability studies and southern literature. And I might take you up on that offer if I end up getting an acceptance!

You know what's funny, there was also one lone Brown acceptance via phone last year on the board, and the rest came in 3 days later (via email I think). Wonder if that's happening again this year? You might well be the chosen applicant @Rani13 !

10 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

You know what's funny, there was also one lone Brown acceptance via phone last year on the board, and the rest came in 3 days later (via email I think). Wonder if that's happening again this year? You might well be the chosen applicant @Rani13 !

I had *just* been looking at that and wondering the same thing!

33 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

Wow I had no idea. That is really interesting and feels good to know!

Wow ngl, I'm pretty embarrassed about posting this in the wrong place:

I was contacted by the DGS at UC Irvine for an interview (video I'm guessing) and I'm shocked ngl. Happy shocked though! I just received a rejection from a significantly lower ranked school today, so I kind of assumed the worst lol.

10 minutes ago, vondafkossum said:

Should feel grateful in some small way as Davis’ rejection letters are notoriously rude af. 

Ok I was MORTIFIED reading comments on these from years past. Honestly idk if I would’ve applied if I had known about it. I hope for their sake they stopped communicating in that way...

On 2/10/2020 at 5:09 PM, Ida16 said:

Haha! I feel you. Also, from your profile it seems that that you are also one of those to whom UC Davis hasn't notified. If it helps, I emailed them last week and they said the review process is still on. 

Paying it forward...my advisor At CUNY is on sabbatical and wrote, re: my impatience/reading of a few acceptances, “I have no idea what's going on at the GC--but I don't think the fact that a couple of acceptances have gone out is meaningful.