4 minutes ago, spikeseagulls said:

Just got off the phone with the DGS at Irvine! I discovered that they have to conduct some sort of interview before making official offers (it was a pretty informal interview), and that this was as close as she could get to making an official offer. Currently trying to convince myself that this is real life...

Congrats again!!! :D 

Looks like the same process as last year was used this year.

This goes out to you and to any Irvine admits this year that are lurking the GC boards, I'm happy to answer any questions about the dept/grad student life as a 1st year.

1 hour ago, noneckmonsters said:

Another possibility is that they nominated a few people for fellowships, so they had to process their acceptances first. I'm wouldn't mark it is an implied rejection till monday. this cycle I had one implied rejection turn to an acceptance and another into a waitlist

Thank you for providing us with a life raft to cling to. ?

Much needed while sitting here twirling my thumbs and obsessive compulsively checking portals/this forum/email between tasks at work. 

Edited by BetterLight13

1 hour ago, onerepublic96 said:

If ya'll don't mind, I was wondering... has anyone else here not gotten an acceptance yet? 

No acceptance yet here, so I'm right with you in the "Am I going anywhere at all for grad school?" lifeboat in a grand ocean of anxiety. One waitlist that I'm clinging to for hope!

Like, what would I even do if I don't get in anywhere? Stay at my job now that, while cushy in terms of compensation and time off, doesn't have growth opportunities and is located in an area where I'd rather not be living? Take a new job that would almost certainly mean a pay cut and a move to a higher COL city--besides the fact that I'd almost certainly need to lie about applying to grad school to start a new job this summer, and spend the entire first year with, mentally, a foot out the door? Do I apply for a second cycle, and if I do, is it better to spend a year in a limbo position or should I hedge my bets and try to move into that more career-leading position now? And I've got a partner with their own career to think about, too... There aren't any in-person terminal MA programs that I could attend from where I live currently, and I just can't stomach moving us for a one- or two-year MA and then moving a second time. But then I think, what if that's how I could have gotten in...? 

The whole process is real lesson in dealing with uncertainty. And priorities. 

Edited by caffeinated applicant
expanded on anxieties lmao

Does anyone know why Harvard notifies so late? When I submitted in December, it was in my top 3 (not saying that it isn't anymore—on the wise advice of a couple people I've tried to wipe the slate clean so I can go into visits with a clear head and a lot of questions to ask; I've been warned that visits can end up changing a lot of preconceptions either way) but at this rate I'll know the outcome for Harvard maybe a day or two before I leave for my first visit ... 

1 minute ago, onerepublic96 said:

If ya'll don't mind, I was wondering... has anyone else here not gotten an acceptance yet? 

I have not this round.  0a/0w/2r/4p 

Two years ago, during my first round, I did get in to one of the few schools I applied to, but they didn't offer me any funding (I could go on a diatribe about how  irresponsible that is, but I'll spare everyone).

1 minute ago, caffeinated applicant said:

No acceptance yet here, so I'm right with you in the "Am I going anywhere at all for grad school?" lifeboat in a grand ocean of anxiety. One waitlist that I'm clinging to for hope!

Like, what would I even do if I don't get in anywhere? Stay at my job now that, while cushy in terms of compensation and time off, doesn't have growth opportunities and is located in an area where I'd rather not be living? Take a new job that would almost certainly mean a pay cut and a move to a higher COL city? Do I apply for a second cycle, and if I do, is it better to spend a year in a limbo position or should I hedge my bets and move into a more career-leading position now? And I've got a partner with their own career to think about, too... 

It's so stressful. I will say, though, if you don't get the desired results this round and you truly believe that the grad school path is the one you want to tread, reapply. Take the time between the rounds of applications to save money and strategically look for ways to revamp your application next time. I'm also stuck at similar type of job at a small college in New England and I have to say that, while it doesn't offer a fulfilling future, it offers time to redraft applications. 

Either way, hang in there! 

Just got into CUNY by email from a POI. I got my master’s there and it’s one of my top choices, I am really freaking out right now and in disbelief. This process messes with people so hard, I’ve never doubted myself more and I can’t stand that I’m a “just wait, it can happen to you!” person on the forum right now!!!!!! Fingers crossed for everyone, getting to the point of applying for a PhD means you deserve this feeling. 

1 minute ago, jm6394 said:

Just got into CUNY by email from a POI. I got my master’s there and it’s one of my top choices, I am really freaking out right now and in disbelief. This process messes with people so hard, I’ve never doubted myself more and I can’t stand that I’m a “just wait, it can happen to you!” person on the forum right now!!!!!! Fingers crossed for everyone, getting to the point of applying for a PhD means you deserve this feeling. 

I'm out of reactions for the day, but just wanted to say congrats!!

28 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

I got one interview invite from Emory, rejects from Duke and UT Austin, and am still left waiting for the others. 

A little disheartening and stressful, but I'm trying to remind myself that it's still relatively early and I will hopefully hear back soon.

27 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

This made me finally sign up and join the conversation! I had an interview 10 days ago with one and did not hear anything back from them yet. You can imagine the anguish I've been living for more than a week now. Otherwise, I heard nothing. Absolutely nothing from all of the eight I applied to. It is soul-crushing.

1 hour ago, ArcaMajora said:

This goes out to you and to any Irvine admits this year that are lurking the GC boards, I'm happy to answer any questions about the dept/grad student life as a 1st year.

So does this mean no call/email about an interview with Irvine is an implied rejection?

*raises hand in solidarity.* We just have to wait and see. I've already thought over alternative plans. But, my application is (probably) not as strong as most others. I don't have an MA, and I think there is a lot to be improved in hindsight. 

Nope. I have three schools remaining to hear from: one is an implied rejection, one is a huge stretch, and one I just don't know.

This is my second cycle. I've spent a lot of time discussing with my best friend and partner about what it would mean to be shut out a second time and what that would mean moving forward. I feel good with my life where it is now, even if I don't get in, given my career and my current career prospects. It will suck to move on from "the dream," but we don't always get to choose our paths.

2 hours ago, onerepublic96 said:

Nope. I'm an international student and I have small budget for applications so I only applied 5 schools which all are the departments of Comparative Literature. I got rejection from two of them and waiting for other three. I saw some people got responses from these "other three" so I'm a bit nervous about the situation right now. There is a chance that I can start my Ph.D in my country and while this I may try next year again. However, this will be difficult because all schools have high application fees and once I started my Ph.D in here I'm not sure if I can handle all processes of U.S graduate applications. I hope, we all will hear good responses from what we have left. 

Edited by kvek

44 minutes ago, EffervescentMoon said:

So does this mean no call/email about an interview with Irvine is an implied rejection?

The overall timeline of when Irvine sends interview notices is one I'm not sure of. There is an implication it seemed to be spread out over a few days (according to last year's timeline: January 30th to Feb 2nd? And this is extrapolating from the results board). Don't lose hope immediately if you don't get an interview notice or any communication from Irvine. They seem to contact in waves, since someone I talked to in recruitment last year was notified a day earlier than me iirc

I'd watch your inbox for this week, but if you get no contact from Irvine about anything by next week or late February (esp if they're doing a waitlist, which I'm not sure is happening/how the notifs there works), it might be safe to call it an implied rejection.

Edited by ArcaMajora

Wow! Thank you, all. It’s strangely reassuring to hear that there are others in the same boat (obviously sucks to be in this particular boat, but at least there’s some sense of solidarity). I’m 4 rejections deep, possibly 2 more implied ones, and overall 11 more places to hear back from, but the anxiety is ramping up for sure with each passing day and each new result post. 

Sending major good vibes to all of us still without a sure footing, and fingers crossed for us all to end up in a PhD programme after all! 

Received an email from the Graduate Program Coordinator at Cornell requesting a copy of my transcript with the degree awarded information?! If this is anything like what happened with me at Yale, Cornell is definitely announcing decisions very soon! Which we already knew, but still. I would DIE if I got in, even though I'm already dead because I got in anywhere at all ?

3 hours ago, onerepublic96 said:

Popping back into the conversation to say that I haven't gotten any acceptances from PhD programs yet. I'm  really nervous about the fact that Oregon sent out at least a few acceptances... 3 have been reported so far, but it looks like last year Oregon sent out all of the acceptances on one day, and rejections followed almost a month later. So I'm wondering if Oregon has sent out all of their acceptances or if there are more coming. If anyone knows anything, please share! The three rejections I've had so far haven't hurt too bad, but this one just might haha. 

My first cycle I got shut out by 19 schools and next rejected by 15, so I know rejections like the back of my hand. Anyone wanting to talk about rejections (the prospect of them, etc.) feel free to reach out (to wallow, encouraged, to brace for it, to prepare, etc.). Getting shut out is really tough but it’s not the end (I am not suggesting any of you will get shut out, I just remember what it feels like to have nothing while people are getting accepted left and right).

Edited by WildeThing

3 hours ago, jm6394 said:

Congratulations! So happy for you! Woohooooooo!

1 hour ago, MichelleObama said:

Received an email from the Graduate Program Coordinator at Cornell requesting a copy of my transcript with the degree awarded information?! If this is anything like what happened with me at Yale, Cornell is definitely announcing decisions very soon! Which we already knew, but still. I would DIE if I got in, even though I'm already dead because I got in anywhere at all ?

you're killing it

5 hours ago, ArcaMajora said:

Thanks so much! I would love to hear more about your experience so far. 

20 hours ago, Michel FoucOhNo said:

Anyone claiming the Tufts acceptances on the board? Hate to add it to the (growing) list of implied rejections.

I'm one of the Tufts PhD acceptances! Based on past years' results, waitlists seem to come out a few days later than acceptances, so I wouldn't say it's necessarily a rejection if you haven't heard anything yet.