Just now, MichelleObama said:

There is an additional $3800 summer stipend, but it's still a surprisingly low stipend for that area, although I've never been to Philly so I have no idea

Yeah, but even after factoring the additional $3800 in (which I think, is only available for three summers), it is still fairly lower than my other options, which are offering $32k-33.5k? So I'm just really confused as to why there is such a discrepancy? I'm auto-eliminated from fellowships like FLAS, being international, so I don't even think I can rake in fellowships, if places like Penn expect that of their candidates...

1 minute ago, foreigncorrespondent said:

Yeah, but even after factoring the additional $3800 in (which I think, is only available for three summers), it is still fairly lower than my other options, which are offering $32k-33.5k? So I'm just really confused as to why there is such a discrepancy? I'm auto-eliminated from fellowships like FLAS, being international, so I don't even think I can rake in fellowships, if places like Penn expect that of their candidates...

FWIW, as someone who lives close enough to Philly to have considered moving there and researched accordingly, I think you’d be quite comfortable on ~$30k, depending on housing and a few other considerations (e.g. if you’re cool to live with someone else in a 2bdrm, you’ll have more wiggle room than if you need a 1bdrm). 

13 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

FWIW, as someone who lives close enough to Philly to have considered moving there and researched accordingly, I think you’d be quite comfortable on ~$30k, depending on housing and a few other considerations (e.g. if you’re cool to live with someone else in a 2bdrm, you’ll have more wiggle room than if you need a 1bdrm). 

Okay, that sounds great! I'm planning to share an apartment, regardless of where I live, so this sounds good! Not like I've made it (or I am going to), but idle wondering seems to be the theme of this decisions season.

19 minutes ago, tinymica said:

Have you checked out the extensive spreadsheet discussing financial packages? It considers programs' past financial offers against the COL in the programs' areas.

Edit: I believe the spreadsheet is pinned in the LRC main topic.

No, I hadn't, thank you for pointing it out! Looks like the actual fellowship amount is more than what is listed on the Penn website, which makes me think that the department website probably hasn't been updated in a while. My feelings are mixed: on one hand, the joy of knowing a secure life is indeed possible in Philly. On the other... no consolatory throughts when I inevitably DON'T make it to Penn. 

Edited by foreigncorrespondent

20 minutes ago, CanadianEnglish said:

@politics 'n prose and anyone else who is waiting for UNC Chapel Hill:

I inquired about my status/when news would be released and the DGS wrote me a nice email about how my application is still pending because "while we have not decided to deny your application, at this moment both the admit list and the wait list are full. If from that larger pool we cannot create our incoming class, we will add your name to the waitlist." SO I gathered that since they have their acceptances/waitlists ready they should be sending out information soon. I would imagine tomorrow or early next week. If you don't hear anything, I would also assume that you are like me and are on a waiting list for the waitlist (lol what a concept). I do not know if the waitlists are by overall rank or by interest or by POI. 

Hope this helps! 

What do we think the chances are that they already notified acceptances and waitlists, but none of those people are on GC? 

30 minutes ago, foreigncorrespondent said:

All applicants waiting on Penn: it's also definitely my top choice, but I'm wondering-- isn't the stipend comparatively non-competitive? I know the stipend isn't the primary concern in getting through grad school, but I'm also really thinking about the fact that I will be moving to a whole other side of the world for this. I do not want to be financially insecure on top of all the struggles grad school will invariably bring. I'm just weighing the expected stipend of the Benjamin Franklin fellowship against my other offers, which offer around $7-10k more. I'm just trying to figure out: is ~$24k in Philly enough for a single person? How is that, versus the ~$33k I'm being offered in Evanston, Illinois? 

This is not the current stipend, you’re working with older numbers. Idk the exact amount, but it’s closer to 28k plus (some) summers.

6 hours ago, spikeseagulls said:

I finally gave in and emailed Yale because I saw more rejections went out, and they informed me that they're still making decisions. I don't know how to feel?!?!?!?!

Welp— just received mine! ?

3 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

UVA rejection on the board--jeez louise, am I gonna get two in one day?

Ah! I'm sorry to hear! Hope not... Just got 2 myself. I'm gonna buy myself sushi tonight and watch a nice movie I guess.

Edited by pinkhermy

Just now, pinkhermy said:

Ah! I'm sorry to hear! Hope not... Just got 2 myself. I'm gonna buy myself sushi tonight and watch a nice movie I guess.

I'm sorry about your rejections! Sushi and a movie sounds super nice. My favorite "don't be sad" movies are Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and The Grand Budapest Hotel. Anybody else have some good rejection-movie recs?

Just now, pinkhermy said:

sushi and a movie is an EXCELLENT idea 

gonna pop this frozen pizza in the oven and make a Sad Boi grocery list for tomorrow after work. thinking I'll follow @gooniesneversaydie's lead and grab a cheesecake from the freezer section.........

3 minutes ago, tinymica said:

I'm sorry about your rejections! Sushi and a movie sounds super nice. My favorite "don't be sad" movies are Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and The Grand Budapest Hotel. Anybody else have some good rejection-movie recs?

2 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

sushi and a movie is an EXCELLENT idea 

gonna pop this frozen pizza in the oven and make a Sad Boi grocery list for tomorrow after work. thinking I'll follow @gooniesneversaydie's lead and grab a cheesecake from the freezer section.........

I'll be with you all in spirit as I drown my sorrows in buffalo wings and fried pickles. And you best believe I'll be getting that cheesecake tomorrow when I go grocery shopping. 

As for a movie - I LOVE Coraline. Stop motion makes my heart happy. 10/10. Also, I second HP&TSS. 

oh also lest I give the good people of gradcafe the impression that I am actually competent enough to do anything right now...

my partner is washing all the dishes from the last three days and baking the frozen pizza while I sit on the ground lmao

3 minutes ago, gooniesneversaydie said:

I'll be with you all in spirit as I drown my sorrows in buffalo wings and fried pickles. And you best believe I'll be getting that cheesecake tomorrow when I go grocery shopping. 

As for a movie - I LOVE Coraline. Stop motion makes my heart happy. 10/10. Also, I second HP&TSS. 

I adore HP, TGBH and Coraline!!!!!! I believe I've watched Coraline more times than any other movie lol 

Just now, caffeinated applicant said:

oh also lest I give the good people of gradcafe the impression that I am actually competent enough to do anything right now...

my partner is washing all the dishes from the last three days and baking the frozen pizza while I sit on the ground lmao

I love that for you. If it makes you feel any better I am glued to my laptop ignoring a full STACK of work right next to me

1 minute ago, gooniesneversaydie said:

One of my cats' name is Coraline ;) The book and movie are both legit. 

I'm out of reactions but this is adorable and I demand a cat tax - show me Coraline!!

Just now, gooniesneversaydie said:

One of my cats' name is Coraline ;) The book and movie are both legit. 

I love it! I actually was scared of the book cover in elementary school. ?I didn't read it until a few years later. Equally as amazing!

2 minutes ago, tinymica said:

@gooniesneversaydie @spikeseagulls based on movie taste I think we should be friends y'all

3 minutes ago, tinymica said:

I love that for you. If it makes you feel any better I am glued to my laptop ignoring a full STACK of work right next to me

4 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

1 minute ago, spikeseagulls said:

I second this!!!

Out of reactions, but let me just say, thank God for ya'll and this forum. I love being a sad sack amongst other sad sacks! Bless you Gradcafe community. Bless you.

30 minutes ago, Wimsey said:

This thread has convinced me to break out the ice cream this evening. Also, I have to put in a plug for my all-time favorite movie, Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes.

Two rejections for me today (one of which I'm really quite sad about), so I may follow suit. I'm a huge Hitchcock fan, but haven't seen The Lady Vanishes (my idiosyncratic forever favorite being Rope).