38 minutes ago, lotsoffeelings said:

I'm on the waitlist at UW and will be faced with a similar decision should I get off. Two of my professors at my current institution (Duke) went there and speak very highly of the program, so it seems like they have a good reputation from what I know. Also Seattle is cool I hear! Never been but def want to go! 

I’m sorry about the waitlist. I hope a spot opens up for you - then perhaps we’ll meet there! Think you for letting me know. I’m due to visit campus in a few weeks and I’m stoked to see Seattle! I haven’t been since I was really little!

9 minutes ago, LemonadeChronicles said:

What's the Facebook group that some people refer to here? Is there another place like grad cafe? :P

The Creative Writing equivalent of GC is a Facebook group called the MFA Draft, and there's also a Creative Writing PhD draft. It functions basically like here - discussing programs, alerting to notifications, pooling knowledge (or perhaps rumor-mongering!), blowing off steam, occasional flamewars, meeting strangers (I met a bunch of people I still know during my time in Draft). There's a literary arts forum on here but it's not as lively.

Edited by merry night wanderer

Has anyone else spent a ridiculous sum of money on online shopping under the guise that 'I've earned this because I am going through the application season rn' or is it just me? I bought like $80 of Korean beauty skincare (I buy all of my skincare on Soko Glam if you're looking for a cheaper alternative to Sephora) and while I am excited for all my goodies I also know that it was begotten by unhealthy stress ?

14 minutes ago, Rrandle101 said:

Has anyone else spent a ridiculous sum of money on online shopping under the guise that 'I've earned this because I am going through the application season rn' or is it just me? I bought like $80 of Korean beauty skincare (I buy all of my skincare on Soko Glam if you're looking for a cheaper alternative to Sephora) and while I am excited for all my goodies I also know that it was begotten by unhealthy stress ?

Nope... Buttttt I ended up playing this addictive game on my phone after a really long time. I had stopped playing it cause of how addictive and disruptive it had become and I ended up spending money on it just to buy lives yesterday. It is the most useless shopping I have ever done on the App Store, like ever! Your post makes me think that I could have taken my mind off the anxiety by spending on something more pampering. Lol :P

Edited by LemonadeChronicles

45 minutes ago, merry night wanderer said:

The Creative Writing equivalent of GC is a Facebook group called the MFA Draft, and there's also a Creative Writing PhD draft. It functions basically like here - discussing programs, alerting to notifications, pooling knowledge (or perhaps rumor-mongering!), blowing off steam, occasional flamewars, meeting strangers (I met a bunch of people I still know during my time in Draft). There's a literary arts forum on here but it's not as lively.

Aaaah, thanks for telling me!

46 minutes ago, Rrandle101 said:

Just came home with a $50 haul of random skincare products, chosen by me in a highly emotional state simply because their packaging looked nice and soothing, haha.

I got officially rejected by UVa! It's a bummer, but I expected it, since I made a mortifying typo in my personal statement.

Just three more to go--and then, I'll be waiting to hear whether I get accepted off of any waitlists! So this process could drag on until April!

I think I'm just learning to live with the uncertainty.

3 hours ago, lotsoffeelings said:

I'm on the waitlist at UW and will be faced with a similar decision should I get off. Two of my professors at my current institution (Duke) went there and speak very highly of the program, so it seems like they have a good reputation from what I know. Also Seattle is cool I hear! Never been but def want to go! 

Im thinking as of now I wont be accepting my offer at UW, whats your field??

2 hours ago, Rrandle101 said:

While in the thick of writing my apps, I bought a purse on ModCloth solely because they named it the "Authentically Academic Bag." At least it was also on sale.

4 hours ago, MundaneSoul said:

Not sure, @tinymica, but I got rejected by CU Boulder a couple days ago and never got an email. Just saw it on the application.

Also, maybe the Columbia emails are just for the folks who interviewed? I've got nothing on email or my app. So anxious.

hey i also got the email a few hrs ago and wasn't interviewed............ chuffed abt the outcome cos was not wanting to have to interview lol

Edited by scotty2

24 minutes ago, scotty2 said:

hey i also got the email a few hrs ago and wasn't interviewed............ chuffed abt the outcome cos was not wanting to have to interview lol

major congrats!! do you mind sharing your subfield??

1 hour ago, digital_lime said:

I got officially rejected by UVa! It's a bummer, but I expected it, since I made a mortifying typo in my personal statement.

Just three more to go--and then, I'll be waiting to hear whether I get accepted off of any waitlists! So this process could drag on until April!

I think I'm just learning to live with the uncertainty.

This right here is the one. Sigh. I really thought that I would have more answers by now. (So did my boss!!)

Condolences on UVa/UVA! I had logged on this evening, quite a bit later than I normally do, expressly to post: What the heck are they doing sending rejections this late on a Friday night??

44 minutes ago, MundaneSoul said:

Weird. Still nothing for me from Columbia. No email and application still the same.

it's the same for me––I was checking my email and the portal all last night after the first posts went up on the boards! what's your subfield? 

20th/21st, gender/sexuality, media studies for me. Some folks definitely seem to have gotten outright rejections, so maybe we're looking at waitlist? My anxiety is through the roof on this one, ha. I never thought I would hate weekends so much.

52 minutes ago, MundaneSoul said:

20th/21st, gender/sexuality, media studies for me. Some folks definitely seem to have gotten outright rejections, so maybe we're looking at waitlist? My anxiety is through the roof on this one, ha. I never thought I would hate weekends so much.

I have very similar interests and have no updates either. Have there been any acceptances for 20th/21st or gender/sexuality things yet?

9 minutes ago, ja.col said:

I have very similar interests and have no updates either. Have there been any acceptances for 20th/21st or gender/sexuality things yet?

Is this about Columbia? If so, did you have an interview? I’m in same space but didn’t have an interview and sort of figured anyone hearing back was being accepted or rejected off their short list, and that non-interviewees in 20th/21st are implicitly rejected/will receive rejections after this first wave 

9 minutes ago, jm6394 said:

Is this about Columbia? If so, did you have an interview? I’m in same space but didn’t have an interview and sort of figured anyone hearing back was being accepted or rejected off their short list, and that non-interviewees in 20th/21st are implicitly rejected/will receive rejections after this first wave 

Yea Columbia. I didn't have an interview, but am getting sort of mixed messages about what that means. If a subfield was only accepting people from interview it seems strange that they wouldn't have already rejected us? I'm expecting a rejection because I didn't interview, but would just like to know either way. It seems cruel to have a list of confirmed rejections for a good number of weeks and just not saying anything. I guess this whole process is cruel, though.

Hey—

Just made an account to say: I got an interview with Columbia but didn't hear back yesterday. I'm guessing that I got rejected, but I don't think there's any particular rhyme or reason to who heard back. I think rejections will just start to roll out over the next week?