1 minute ago, merry night wanderer said:

@AtlasFox - I'm in the same boat, and for the sake of your heart, I wouldn't bank on it. Sometimes notifications come in waves, and this is a program for 3 per genre we're talking about, some of which were notified weeks ago. They do have a waitlist, but I'm sure they don't need a big one. 

The people I know who have gotten in are ridiculously accomplished, as in, one has a book deal, is working on his second book, and just got an NEA accomplished. I don't know if that helps or hurts, but remember that Creative Writing is an even crazier lottery than literature, and the CW Ph.D is isn't at all necessary to succeed there. 

Thank you so much for this! It's nice to know someone else is in the same boat. I've been trying to determine if they sent out all the rejections simultaneously or if they're being manually sent out (maybe alphabetically). Regardless, this helps me not get too hopeful. I know somebody posted two days ago in the Creative Writing PhD Facebook group that USC had made all of their decisions and would be sending emails to all of the applicants soon, so I'm anticipating my rejection just hasn't come in yet.

I've also heard that about people who get in (being ridiculously accomplished). I'm actually fortunate that I've been accepted into an MFA program, but the funding is pending so I'm trying not to dwell on it as a substantial possibility just yet. Still, if funding comes through, I'd happily take that offer and re-apply to PhD programs in a few years. 

12 minutes ago, merry night wanderer said:

The people I know who have gotten in are ridiculously accomplished, as in, one has a book deal, is working on his second book, and just got an NEA accomplished. I don't know if that helps or hurts, but remember that Creative Writing is an even crazier lottery than literature, and the CW Ph.D is isn't at all necessary to succeed there. 

Woah ?That sure is something! (I didn't apply to any CW programs this round.) 

I had a dream that I was accepted to BU last night. It was such a realistic dream, and when I woke up, I felt disappointment as if I've been rejected. I can't even have a break during sleep anymore.

Oh cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?

When satisfied with tormenting me?

What have I e're design'd, but thou hast crost?

All that I wisht to gain by Thee, I've lost.

40 minutes ago, spikeseagulls said:

Definitely! I applied to the English PhD program, and this was honestly one of the schools I didn't expect to get accepted to but I ended up being pleasantly surprised??? But I was hoping to end up at a UC school because of a summer program I did, and everything worked out perfectly. :)

It's a fantastic school!

And I've found that the schools who have shown interest in me have consistently talked up MFA/CW community as a bonus, even though I applied for literature everywhere else. It seems like I can join readings, informal writing groups, gatherings etc. wherever I end up, which will be great for balancing scholarship with creative work, even if I'm not taking CW coursework. Maybe Irvine is similar. :)

Edited by merry night wanderer

8 minutes ago, merry night wanderer said:

It's a fantastic school!

And I've found that the schools who have shown interest in me have consistently talked up MFA/CW community as a bonus, even though I applied for literature everywhere else. It seems like I can join readings, informal writing groups, gatherings etc. wherever I end up, which will be great for balancing scholarship with creative work, even if I'm not taking CW coursework. Maybe Irvine is similar. :)

Thank you so much for this!!! I'll definitely be looking into different opportunities since CW has always been a passion of mine. 

15 minutes ago, gooniesneversaydie said:

I had a dream that I was accepted to BU last night. It was such a realistic dream, and when I woke up, I felt disappointment as if I've been rejected. I can't even have a break during sleep anymore.

Oh cruel Fate, when wilt thou weary be?

When satisfied with tormenting me?

What have I e're design'd, but thou hast crost?

All that I wisht to gain by Thee, I've lost.

HAHA! I can relate to the  "waking up with an unfulfilled dream" ! But hold on - Good things will come by! :D 

Finally cracked and sent an email to the graduate coordinator at UPenn asking if there was any update on when decisions will be released. Will report back if I hear from them!

21 minutes ago, SomethingWicked said:

Finally cracked and sent an email to the graduate coordinator at UPenn asking if there was any update on when decisions will be released. Will report back if I hear from them!

Out of reactions but bless you, MVP of today's waiting game. 

1 hour ago, AtlasFox said:

I've also heard that about people who get in (being ridiculously accomplished). I'm actually fortunate that I've been accepted into an MFA program, but the funding is pending so I'm trying not to dwell on it as a substantial possibility just yet. Still, if funding comes through, I'd happily take that offer and re-apply to PhD programs in a few years. 

Getting an MFA was one of my best decisions! Fingers crossed for your funding!

10 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

Out of reactions but bless you, MVP of today's waiting game. 

Happy to be of service! I had a rare moment where my anxiety wasn't paying attention, so I just hit send and closed my email tab ?

3 minutes ago, tinymica said:

I woke up this morning to a lack of new emails and a truly impressive chin zit. How is everyone else's day going so far?

My day has been very similar to yours on both counts ?

Edited by Wimsey

15 minutes ago, tinymica said:

I woke up this morning to a lack of new emails and a truly impressive chin zit. How is everyone else's day going so far?

My skin has been atrocious even still after getting the one acceptance I wanted. Stress does NOT leave the body in a timely manner 

7 minutes ago, jm6394 said:

My skin has been atrocious even still after getting the one acceptance I wanted. Stress does NOT leave the body in a timely manner 

Ugh, so true!!! I'm lucky I've only got the one zit but you know how it is....when you only have one, it's MASSIVE.

Edit: Also I don't think I said this yet but congrats on your acceptance! That's so awesome and you should be really proud of yourself!

Edited by tinymica

7 minutes ago, jm6394 said:

3 minutes ago, tinymica said:

Ugh, so true!!! I'm lucky I've only got the one zit but you know how it is....when you only have one, it's MASSIVE.

My face keeps breaking out, fortunately only 1-2 zits at a time and they're healing quite fast, and it is MASSIVELY annoying. Like, I haven't drained a whitehead in YEARS and now this crap is back? A new one every couple days? The current ones both pretty big and one per cheek? Thanks, grad apps. 

11 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

My face keeps breaking out, fortunately only 1-2 zits at a time and they're healing quite fast, and it is MASSIVELY annoying. Like, I haven't drained a whitehead in YEARS and now this crap is back? A new one every couple days? The current ones both pretty big and one per cheek? Thanks, grad apps. 

I see so much stress acne in my future lol

41 minutes ago, tinymica said:

Edit: Also I don't think I said this yet but congrats on your acceptance! That's so awesome and you should be really proud of yourself!

Thanks so much!!!

54 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

I am also suffering from probably my worst breakout since getting off of Accutane. >.< This stress is no joke 

I woke up every hour and a half to check my f*cking email, then dreamed I was admitted to Brown in an email that referred to Trump as the "Dark Lord." I also dreamt I was accepted to Dartmouth, and they don't even have an English PhD! When do I ever even think about Dartmouth?! The subconscious is TRASH and so was waking up to no f*cking emailsss

Edited by MichelleObama
potty mouth

Loving the stress discussion on here!! I'm planning on pulling an all-nighter (international squad, unite!) because I'm expecting that the last two decisions I have will roll in today, and my stupid brain thinks that I can somehow have them become acceptances if I stay up for them. This rationale is making me question my own ability for grad work...

Edited by foreigncorrespondent