DrPH Applicants Fall 2020

Akd

3 hours ago, AlphacentauriC said:

Got my admit from Indiana University - Richard M. Fairbanks School of Public Health. Really excited! 

Big congratulations to you! I can really feel your excitement from your post. Their cohort-based curriculum, similar to UNC, seems to be interesting and great as well!

Cheers!

Edited by jace_PH

On 3/13/2020 at 4:32 PM, Brent123 said:

Did you get an assistantship and if so when did they get back to you with an offer? I had an interview in late February and haven’t heard back yet. 

Sorry for the late response.  There are no graduate assistantships for the DrPH students.  We do have a program graduate assistant who works with some of the professors, but that person is usually a Ph.D. candidate.

Good luck with your admissions decision.

On 3/27/2020 at 12:03 PM, jace_PH said:

Big congratulations to you! I can really feel your excitement from your post. Their cohort-based curriculum, similar to UNC, seems to be interesting and great as well!

Cheers!

Thank you! I think a cohort is a great way to complete the program. The modeled it on the UNC program, at least that is what they told me. I know I might get admits later in this application cycle, but I feel like I have been wasting time for a long time. So, I think I will accept this offer and move forward. 

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations! Good luck on making your choice.

I accepted at UNC Gillings and have been impressed with their organization so far. It's a cohort of 15 people and they said that they had a 50% increase in applications this year - a record. It sounds like it was a very competitive year for all the public health programs.

1 hour ago, AlphacentauriC said:

So, got one of the fastest admits from UTexas at Houston as I submitted my application two or so weeks ago. Have to look at money games vs my other admit, Indiana. 

Congrats.  How much of the UT program is online?  What is the required in-person participation?

10 hours ago, AlphacentauriC said:

So, got one of the fastest admits from UTexas at Houston as I submitted my application two or so weeks ago. Have to look at money games vs my other admit, Indiana. 

When did you interviewed for DrPH? Also, did you reached out to faculty in advance? TIA.

Edited by Inf_emgPH

On 4/9/2020 at 11:15 PM, Inf_emgPH said:

When did you interviewed for DrPH? Also, did you reached out to faculty in advance? TIA.

Nope, no interview, no reaching out faculty. Submitted application for the PhD on March 28, the admit email came 04/09, a little over 10 days later. Funny, it's the same school/program that rejected my Fall 2016 entrance application. 

19 hours ago, AlphacentauriC said:

Nope, no interview, no reaching out faculty. Submitted application for the PhD on March 28, the admit email came 04/09, a little over 10 days later. Funny, it's the same school/program that rejected my Fall 2016 entrance application. 

Congrats. Do you mind me asking which department? You must have a stellar app. I was complete there 2 months ago and haven't heard anything since. With only 2 schools left to hear from and no acceptance so far, I am finding it really hard to remain optimistic.

On 4/12/2020 at 7:06 AM, Inf_emgPH said:

Congrats. Do you mind me asking which department? You must have a stellar app. I was complete there 2 months ago and haven't heard anything since. With only 2 schools left to hear from and no acceptance so far, I am finding it really hard to remain optimistic.

It's PhD Healthcare Management/Health Policy, it's under the MPACH department: https://sph.uth.edu/academics/degree-programs/doctor-of-philosophy-phd/. They gave me April 15th as deadline to accept. Looks like I will decline the offer of admission. Good luck. Hope they take action on your application soon. 

Edited by AlphacentauriC

19 hours ago, chineke said:

anyone hear back on waiting list for Johns Hopkins? They said they would let us know by today but I have not heard anything

Heard back and didnt get in. I only applied to this one so next year is another year congrats and good luck everyone!

On 4/19/2020 at 1:56 AM, chineke said:

Heard back and didnt get in. I only applied to this one so next year is another year congrats and good luck everyone!

It was also a no for me for this waitlist and I got email notification this Monday. I wondered how many JHU waitlisted actually got in. A person who previously went there told me the DrPH of that year were nearly all waitlisted candidate so I thought we would stand a pretty good chance this year. :) 

Anyway, the long wait is finally over. Thank you all so much for the helpful information and my big congratulations to EVERYONE who got in their desired programs! I think the COVID-19 just iterated how important public health is. Let's all keep the good work up! :))))

Hi there! I’m going to be starting my masters in epidemiology and I’m interested in pursuing a PhD afterwards, what is the difference between a PhD and drph? Also when should I start looking for supervisors? 
thanks in advance!

Hello!

Question for everyone who applied.

I am finishing my MPH from Texas A&M and only applying to one Dr.PH program. (UTHealth)

My GPA is low. (3.4) My uncle passed away my first year and I worked two jobs to pay for school. I have great letters from professors and my SOP is focused, including the professors that have similar interests. 

I’m afraid my GPA will throw me out of the application pool. Any thoughts? Anyone been accepted to this program?

On 3/12/2020 at 10:09 AM, AlphacentauriC said:

Really happy for everyone getting admits/interviews. My public health doctoral application strategy seems to be falling apart :). Yeah, it's things fall apart here. I only applied to part time programs, as I can't afford to leave my job. So: 

1. USF - I got an email last week - rejected. 

2. Indiana University - Richard M. Fairbanks School of Public Health - Got interview notification yesterday

These are my results so far. I still have two more to hear from + two more that I plan on submitting applications to. 

Good luck everyone who is still waiting! 

Well well!!!! Look who is back asking me  if i'm still interested in USF? Kwanzi (said) we would like to have an interview with you if you are interested!!! Said they have space for more admits. Was rejected outright with no interview in March. I will accept the interview invite, I will compare $$$ once the admit comes.... The topic of rejecting candidates when they are super qualified, is something we can discuss another day.

5 minutes ago, AlphacentauriC said:

Well well!!!! Look who is back asking me  if i'm still interested in USF? Kwanzi (said) we would like to have an interview with you if you are interested!!! Said they have space for more admits. Was rejected outright with no interview in March. I will accept the interview invite, I will compare $$$ once the admit comes.... The topic of rejecting candidates when they are super qualified, is something we can discuss another day.

That's great! I think schools are a bit terrified right now of getting enough students. The ratio of offers to acceptance has to have gone down recently with COVID and a recession. Also, on the undergrad side a lot of students are saying they will defer if the COVID shutdown continues, dealing a huge financial hit to universities. My daughter is a graduating HS senior and her friends are looking forward to going to school on campus for freshman year, but many will take a gap year if it's online still in the fall.

Glad they came back and recognized your qualifications. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Buster, DrPH said:

Did UNC give you folks a deadline to accept the offer?

I received unofficial notification of admission on March 10, and then official acceptance was processed about a week later. They gave us until April 15 to pay the $250 deposit to guarantee a spot in the program.

If anyone else is starting the UNC DrPH please direct message me. We have a Whatsapp chat going with the current cohort members that we know and we can add you.