2020 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Bak3rm3

On 1/2/2020 at 2:49 PM, episome1996 said:

So, when should we start freaking out and deciding plans for next year? I haven't heard back from any of my schools. No rejections, interview offers or acceptances. Apparently Einstein does waves and Boulder doesn't send out acceptances (no interviews) for their integrative physiology PhD program until March/April.

I feel this haha slightly panicking right now

I've gotten rejected now from WUSTL, UW Madison, and UIUC (the school I'm at for my undergrad, ouch). I feel like at this point I'm just going to be rejected from every school I applied to. I posted my profile near the bottom of page 6. Do you guys think there's a chance that I'll be admitted anywhere else? I'm super scared to job-hunt because I decided to do research over the summer instead of getting an internship.

1 hour ago, emmaviola19 said:

I've gotten rejected now from WUSTL, UW Madison, and UIUC (the school I'm at for my undergrad, ouch). I feel like at this point I'm just going to be rejected from every school I applied to. I posted my profile near the bottom of page 6. Do you guys think there's a chance that I'll be admitted anywhere else? I'm super scared to job-hunt because I decided to do research over the summer instead of getting an internship.

I think you might still have a good chance with Indiana University, but I'm honestly no expert on grad admissions. I wouldn't completely give up hope, but might look into ways to keep your foot in the door (ex. take a gap year to get more experience and boost your CV)

10 hours ago, emmaviola19 said:

Some schools like Iowa State University, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Medical University of South Carolina are still opened for application. You can try applying those schools which you may have a higher chance.

Edited by TedC

A little update for those who may be wondering:

• UCSD Biomedical Sciences is still reviewing apps, invites will continue to be sent out through mid Feb. 
  • UPenn CAMB program has sent out the bulk of their invitations, they may send a few more out but they're pretty much done reviewing
  • USC PIBBS doesn't plan on sending out invites until mid February

Good luck to everybody!

Does anyone know if the boston university PiBS program, Uchicago genetics program, or the Colorado-Denver molecular biology program have sent out all of their interview invitations? I haven’t heard anything from those programs but I’ve seen some people have gotten invitations and for BU some have even gotten rejections. 

32 minutes ago, Samhorst15 said:

Does anyone know if the boston university PiBS program, Uchicago genetics program, or the Colorado-Denver molecular biology program have sent out all of their interview invitations? I haven’t heard anything from those programs but I’ve seen some people have gotten invitations and for BU some have even gotten rejections. 

I got interviews at BU and Chicago and they are supposed to start soon, so I'm pretty sure they are done sending out invites. You can always email the program to see if they are sending out more or plan to send out some a little later in February. Based on previous years I don't think they are sending out any more but every year is subjective to the applicant pool so possibly asking them is the only way to get a clear answer.

6 hours ago, balisticFeanor said:

I got interviews at BU and Chicago and they are supposed to start soon, so I'm pretty sure they are done sending out invites. You can always email the program to see if they are sending out more or plan to send out some a little later in February. Based on previous years I don't think they are sending out any more but every year is subjective to the applicant pool so possibly asking them is the only way to get a clear answer.

I mailed to Chicago GGSB yesterday and they said they are still reviewing my application (?)

Edited by darklings

8 hours ago, Samhorst15 said:

Did you hear back from Boston PiBS ?  Have you emailed them ? 

I have applied to Boston PiBS. But I am an international student so i am not sure when they send out the interviews. Do they send in waves (like first domestic and then international) or do they send it out together?  Does anyone here knows something about it ? 

8 hours ago, darklings said:

I mailed to Chicago GGSB yesterday and they said they are still reviewing my application (?)

They could be sending out more! It just seamed unlikely due to the number sent out in early December and based on the fact that they don't seem to send out more later on based off of previous years but again each year is subjective to the applicant pool and how much space the program has. 

21 hours ago, TerpsFan0130 said:

• UCSD Biomedical Sciences is still reviewing apps, invites will continue to be sent out through mid Feb. 
  • UPenn CAMB program has sent out the bulk of their invitations, they may send a few more out but they're pretty much done reviewing

Good luck to everybody!

I just saw some people got interviews from USC's PIBBS on the RESULTS part? 

21 hours ago, TerpsFan0130 said:

Good luck to everybody!

RIP UPenn, was waiting on that one.

Some more info if anyone finds it relevant:

• UC Berkeley  MCB is still reviewing and sending out interviews on a rolling basis
  • Stanford Biosciences began sending out their invites this last week, pretty sure all the home programs got theirs out

Anyone heard anything from UCLA Bioscience (Cell & Development Biology)?

On 1/9/2020 at 4:56 PM, TheDefeater said:

Safe to assume that MIT won't be sending any more invites..?

I'm also unsure. One of my LOR writers told me that MIT might be behind on processing applications. I got an email way back from MIT Biology saying that they would give out invites by the end of the 2nd week of January (last Friday), but I also got an email from MIT CSB that decisions would come this Friday.

My understanding is that everyone is having a busy app year since most programs are dropping the GRE so timelines will be more rolling/flexible as committee members make the final tough decisions. 

That being said, has anyone heard any word from MIT Biology or CSB?

On 1/10/2020 at 11:32 PM, Su08 said:

Did you hear back from Boston PiBS ?  Have you emailed them ? 

I have applied to Boston PiBS. But I am an international student so i am not sure when they send out the interviews. Do they send in waves (like first domestic and then international) or do they send it out together?  Does anyone here knows something about it ? 

I’m not sure...they haven’t responded to my email but I’ll make sure to post in here when they do. Still haven’t heard anything from them.

52 minutes ago, djii said:

I'm also unsure. One of my LOR writers told me that MIT might be behind on processing applications. I got an email way back from MIT Biology saying that they would give out invites by the end of the 2nd week of January (last Friday), but I also got an email from MIT CSB that decisions would come this Friday.

My understanding is that everyone is having a busy app year since most programs are dropping the GRE so timelines will be more rolling/flexible as committee members make the final tough decisions. 

That being said, has anyone heard any word from MIT Biology or CSB?

Interesting. I assumed they had finished already since I saw a bunch of interview invites last week. It hurts as my first choice but I think I will be just assuming that I was left out. Will update if anything and please do if you get anything as well. 

In case it helps anybody: 

From the Harvard MCO associate director regarding interview invites:

"Thanks for contacting us. We do both online and on-campus interviews. As such, our review process is ongoing. If you are invited to interview, you will be notified. All applicants will be notified of our decisions by mid-february."

7 hours ago, TheDefeater said:

In case it helps anybody: 

From the Harvard MCO associate director regarding interview invites:

"Thanks for contacting us. We do both online and on-campus interviews. As such, our review process is ongoing. If you are invited to interview, you will be notified. All applicants will be notified of our decisions by mid-february."

Thanks for updating this! Hope we can hear something positive from them soon!