Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

Congrats all!

You'll get an email in a day or two from SGS saying that they've come to a decision. You log into SGS, and where it used to say under review, theres an information package if you've been accepted. All the info is in there about accepting the offer and what the next steps are. Good luck!

I got invited to the MSW 2 year program at UofT! I already paid my admission deposit.

I've been waiting for this for 3 years! I was wait-listed 2 years ago and since then I have acquired my SSW diploma, 1 year experience as an addictions counsellor and 2 years experience as a crisis responder for Kids Help Phone. I outlined this new experience in my application. 

I originally was pessimistic about the process since my CGPA for my BA is 2.8. My last year GPA (all senior courses) is 3.4. Therefore, to those who are worried about your marks and eligibility...yes it can affect your chance of getting in but not if you have some research , volunteer and work experience. I also included some personal information about myself in my written statement. I mentioned how I have lived experience with depression and anxiety which is how I can relate to my clients.

Hopefully this can give some type of ease to those that did not receive perfect grades.

Good luck to everyone else. 

Edited by MellieAnne

10 minutes ago, adultingsucks said:

I've been going off of what others have said, both from the advanced 1 year program and previous years.

Beside "invited" it says "pay your admission deposit of $500" (something like that). I assume it is official because otherwise it wouldn't prompt you to pay an admission deposit. You will still have to "accept" your offer when the letter comes in (from what others have said on this forum it should be in 1-2 days from when your ACORN says invited)

Edited by hopefulMSW1

3 minutes ago, 7astrology-- said:

I'm also wondering this!

In past years, students have posted that acceptances show on acorn first an an invite, following this you SGS will be updated. Also when you hover on 'outstanding admission deposit' it reads "you must accept your admission offer...". Hope that helps!

Just now, MSW416 said:

In past years, students have posted that acceptances show on acorn first an an invite, following this you SGS will be updated. Also when you hover on 'outstanding admission deposit' it reads "you must accept your admission offer...". Hope that helps!

If you also click on "Enrol and Manage" on the left side bar the program will be there with some more information 

Just a background, I applied right out of university where I studied business (BComm). I have a 3.650/4.33 CGPA, with work experience as a tutor, peer academic coach, government and volunteer experiences at homeless shelters and over 6 student groups related to diversity, empowerment, minority groups. I started my own student chapter of a student focused on pan-asian leadership. I also have 4 different awards/scholarships and worked on my personal statement for months. 

Good luck to everyone else, this process is scary and anxiety filled, take care of yourselves.

On 3/27/2020 at 5:10 PM, Lalalla said:

I still haven’t heard from back Windsor 2 year MSW program. Has anyone been rejected? Or have been accepted? I heard people got wait listed 

I was accepted on March 10th

On 3/27/2020 at 1:51 PM, karanMSW said:

Decisions for the 1 year HBSW at Lakehead are going to be delayed just emailed Madge Chen, not sure to when exactly.

"Unfortunately there will be a delay in sending our offers of admission to the one-year HBSW program as our staff are busy with dealing with field placements with our current students.  Also decisions still need to be made about the delivery of the one-year program as situations with the COVID-19 are changing by the day.  As soon as we know more we will be updating everyone.  Please continue to monitor your Lakehead University email account and myInfo for up-to-date information."

Hi! Did you receive an email regarding this, or did you personally email Madge? Thanks :)

1 hour ago, 7astrology-- said:

I'm also wondering this!

1 hour ago, MSW416 said:

Yeah, I am assuming it means accepted! I know for me, I'm still so in shock that I was scared to get excited until I had confirmation that I was for sure accepted! I am still waiting on my SGS status to change, so I think once that happens that's when I'll really be able to calm my nerves hahahaha!

Did everyone receive their status change on acorn yesterday? Wondering if they are releasing more throughout the day and week. trying to fio if they sent out all of the acceptances last night or if it is rolling. 

Edited by hello121212

Just now, socialworkerjake said:

Yeah, I am assuming it means accepted! I know for me, I'm still so in shock that I was scared to get excited until I had confirmation that I was for sure accepted! I am still waiting on my SGS status to change, so I think once that happens that's when I'll really be able to calm my nerves hahahaha!

My exact feelings! Once I have further confirmation,  I will be able to relax and celebrate. Congratulations though! Hope to see you there!

Just now, hello121212 said:

Did everyone receive their status change on acorn yesterday? Wondering if they are releasing more throughout the day and week.

Yeah I am wondering the same as I have seen in previous posts that some people have not noticed their status changing yet! Mine did change yesterday. 

1 minute ago, 7astrology-- said:

My exact feelings! Once I have further confirmation,  I will be able to relax and celebrate. Congratulations though! Hope to see you there!

Ahhh! Yes for sure! I've been refreshing throughout the day so I most definitely will be posting in here when it does!!! Did you apply elsewhere? I am currently still waiting on the Laurier part-time online program. 

Just now, socialworkerjake said:

Ahhh! Yes for sure! I've been refreshing throughout the day so I most definitely will be posting in here when it does!!! Did you apply elsewhere? I am currently still waiting on the Laurier part-time online program. 

Yay okay - same here!!! I applied to Laurier's full-time 2 year program as well as Lakehead's HBSW 1 year program and I am still waiting to hear from both of those schools. However, I'm leaning towards UofT at the moment!