Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

2 hours ago, MSW416 said:

Congrats!

I just got mine as well. Acorn changed on Sunday, I just received an email to check SGS where "under review" had changed to "decision made" and there was a new link underneath to download a "decision document".

For those still waiting, I believe someone confirmed this is just the first round of acceptances, so hang in there. 

Hey! Where did you hear that this was the first round of acceptances :D

Thanks and congrats!

22 hours ago, SocialWorkMSW said:

Yes this is on the weekends! Friday and Saturday. The bonus is that you get to work full-time during the week at least to make money. That's always nice. I have reached to to Angela and keep everyone informed if these were the only round of acceptances ! Please let us know if you hear from Laurier. Thank you so much for your kind words! :) 

Please let us know when she gets back to you :)

19 hours ago, poppinMSW said:

Thank you so much.

Just now, SocialWorkMSW said:

No problem! I am still waiting. I think for those who didn't get accepted there will be no response as we should be waiting for that in the mail :( 

I'm not sure. I had a friend who got rejected from OISE this year and it was a letter uploaded to SGS. so I don't know if they will do it the same. 

21 minutes ago, hello121212 said:

Hey! Where did you hear that this was the first round of acceptances :D

Thanks and congrats!

Someone a few comments back said they emailed to ask if it was confirmed that this was just the first round. UofT also did this last year according to comments from last year :) 

Edited by MSW416

53 minutes ago, MSW416 said:

Someone a few comments back said they emailed to ask if it was confirmed that this was just the first round. UofT also did this last year according to comments from last year :) 

That's great to hear. Im still holding out hope!

3 hours ago, hello121212 said:

I'm not sure. I had a friend who got rejected from OISE this year and it was a letter uploaded to SGS. so I don't know if they will do it the same. 

I know a few people who were accepted last year. One got her acceptance end of march and the other early-mid april. I think thats what theyre probably doing this year.

hi all, I got accepted to the UofT MSW (full time 2-year) today via the sgs portal and will be rejecting the offer (I'm attending OISE instead):

-applied on time and got accepted today, March 31. haven't applied in the past.

-3.9 fourth year gpa, 3.8 cgpa from UTSG.

-literally zero social work experience lol, primarily sociology research and academia work for 3+ years during undergrad. some leadership in extracurriculars and post-work experience (during my 2 years post undergrad) doing nonprofit work. honestly nothing counsel-y at all, beyond my time as a first gen mentor in undergrad.

I remember being on here paranoid that I wouldn't get in bc I didn't have any pertinent, "practical" work experience so I hope this quells any worries out there about that that you can still get in! I did have an A+ in the research methods course I listed on my application and I assume my academic record helped me.

my written responses focused on my personal experience with social workers growing up, being a low-income first gen university student, how social workers' support positively shaped my life trajectory and kept me safe/in school/applying to unis etc. I was also worried this subject matter would be iffy/too personal but I wrote from the heart and it worked out. I did mention my particular interest in the child social work "focus" they offer. 

I applied to York's MSW with nothing back yet, though I got accepted to, and turned down, York's MEd (with funding) last week. 

as aforementioned, I'm declining the uoft MSW offer to attend OISE (I very specifically want to work in higher education services or become a professor, and I got into a funded MA program. I was also offered a spot in the MEd in Social Justice Education but they offered no funding and it's the worse program they kinda funnel people to if you don't get into the MA. Those MEd applications are still open as we speak lol).

Wishing all of you the best of luck and to hang in there!! Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions about my application. otherwise I advise you not to pore through people's responses here and panic bc you think you're too inexperienced/that you'll be waitlisted/rejected and have to reapply, all that panicking I did after reading things here ended up being baseless?

4 minutes ago, artdec0 said:

hi all, I got accepted to the UofT MSW (full time 2-year) today via the sgs portal and will be rejecting the offer (I'm attending OISE instead):

-applied on time and got accepted today, March 31. haven't applied in the past.

-3.9 fourth year gpa, 3.8 cgpa from UTSG.

-literally zero social work experience lol, primarily sociology research and academia work for 3+ years during undergrad. some leadership in extracurriculars and post-work experience (during my 2 years post undergrad) doing nonprofit work. honestly nothing counsel-y at all, beyond my time as a first gen mentor in undergrad.

I remember being on here paranoid that I wouldn't get in bc I didn't have any pertinent, "practical" work experience so I hope this quells any worries out there about that that you can still get in! I did have an A+ in the research methods course I listed on my application and I assume my academic record helped me.

my written responses focused on my personal experience with social workers growing up, being a low-income first gen university student, how social workers' support positively shaped my life trajectory and kept me safe/in school/applying to unis etc. I was also worried this subject matter would be iffy/too personal but I wrote from the heart and it worked out. I did mention my particular interest in the child social work "focus" they offer. 

I applied to York's MSW with nothing back yet, though I got accepted to, and turned down, York's MEd (with funding) last week. 

as aforementioned, I'm declining the uoft MSW offer to attend OISE (I very specifically want to work in higher education services or become a professor, and I got into a funded MA program. I was also offered a spot in the MEd in Social Justice Education but they offered no funding and it's the worse program they kinda funnel people to if you don't get into the MA. Those MEd applications are still open as we speak lol).

Wishing all of you the best of luck and to hang in there!! Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions about my application. otherwise I advise you not to pore through people's responses here and panic bc you think you're too inexperienced/that you'll be waitlisted/rejected and have to reapply, all that panicking I did after reading things here ended up being baseless?

Soooo encouraging thank you so much! I think I didn't do so well on my personal statement of intent that's why I am panicking. Congratulations on your acceptance!! :D 

Congarts to all those getting your acceptances :). 

Just a question, has anyone been accepted into U of T MSW 2 year stream with a GPA between 3.0 and 3.5? I gather from posts it seems all very high 3's or 4.

Edited by Juli3270

On 3/30/2020 at 5:10 PM, d-b said:

Congrats to you as well! Funny enough I will also be moving from the greater Vancouver area! I will message you through here - would be nice to have a connection before classes start! :) 

Thank you so much! and no way, that's awesome. I'd love to connect beforehand. You can message me on here. I'm still kind of figuring out how to use this forum though, lol. But it's nice to meet you! :)

Accepted to MSW - 2 year program at UofT. My last year average was 3.7. I volunteered a lot in different places throughout university and applied after graduating. Volunteer experience is at hospitals, Elementary school workshops and at an autism centre. Volunteered as a research assistant under a professor. Worked as an online English language instructor for kids on China. Also did a portion of school in Italy. Have paid experience at 2 different mental health organizations. My research methods mark was a B so it met the requirement. 

Congratulations to everyone who got in! Hope more of you hear back soon. 

Edited by Foodietor

2 hours ago, j13 said:

I officially got accepted into the Foundational MSW at UBCO this afternoon! I cannot believe it - good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back :)

Congrats!! That's awesome. Will you be accepting your offer at UBCO? I accepted mine! I was debating between my offer from UofT and UBCO, but UBCO is much closer to home for me. 

4 hours ago, poppinMSW said:

I know a few people who were accepted last year. One got her acceptance end of march and the other early-mid april. I think thats what theyre probably doing this year.

Hi there. Thank you for sharing. For your friend who heard back early-mid April, were they first put on the waitlist? Or they jut heard later than the first wave? Thanks!

8 hours ago, hello121212 said:

Hey everyone, please reply and let all of us who haven't heard yet know if U OF T confirms is this is the first round of acceptances! 

Also interested to know if this was just the first wave of acceptances or all of them...Anyone have any insight on this?