Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

Hello, so some schools are allowing students to make their courses pass/fail so there won't be a grade and courses show up as a CRD (credit). does anyone know if social work programs care about how many courses students are making a CRD? in the end it won't affect your GPA but do schools care that there isn't a grade? Thanks everyone!

3 minutes ago, karanMSW said:

Hello, so some schools are allowing students to make their courses pass/fail so there won't be a grade and courses show up as a CRD (credit). does anyone know if social work programs care about how many courses students are making a CRD? in the end it won't affect your GPA but do schools care that there isn't a grade? Thanks everyone!

In general, grad schools don't like pass/fail credits and I've read it can negatively effect their decision making. But in light of what's going on I'm sure it will be different this year. If you're able to avoid pass/fail credits and opt for an assessed grade if possible, I think that would be better.

13 hours ago, pothos said:

I had a question for anyone who was offered admission at Ryerson for their full time program: what is the funding package (if there is one) like? Were you offered any scholarships/grants, etc.? Asking because I was waitlisted at Ryerson and accepted at York. Ryerson was my first choice but York's funding package is a sweet deal so now I"m trying to decide whether I should hold out on this waitlist. 

Thanks! 

As far as I know, York's funding blows Ryerson out of the water. I was offered $8k from Ryerson and $18k from York. Think Ryerson's initial funding can fluctuate based on GPA and whatnot, and they said there is sometimes more funding available down the road, but it's not always guaranteed. 

19 hours ago, SCCPHopeful said:

Was this before the developments with COVID? Just wondering if the mid April timeline will be affected. Thanks!

Nope, it was only a couple of days ago! Should be mid-April still. She said if anything changes they will notify us through the website. 

3 hours ago, HopefulandCurious said:

Did anyone apply to May 2020 Laurier Advanced Standing (online)? 

If I remember correctly, was today the date you had to give a decision by? Anxiously waiting on waitlist status.....

I'm anxiously stuck on a waitlist too!! Any idea of the chances if actually getting admitted off of a waitlist? I'm waiting on waterloo.

Edited by Vivi2020

1 minute ago, Vivi2020 said:

I'm anxiously stuck on a waitlist too!! Any idea of the chances if actually getting admitted off of a waitlist? I'm waiting on waterloo.

Honestly don't think there is any way to tell! Those lists are so wildly different every year; from the number of people on them, to the number of applicants that may potentially decline their offer. Wishing you the best! Did Waterloo give you any idea of when you would hear back by? Laurier says if you don't hear anything by April 10, your application is closed & you didn't make it off the list.

1 minute ago, HopefulandCurious said:

Honestly don't think there is any way to tell! Those lists are so wildly different every year; from the number of people on them, to the number of applicants that may potentially decline their offer. Wishing you the best! Did Waterloo give you any idea of when you would hear back by? Laurier says if you don't hear anything by April 10, your application is closed & you didn't make it off the list.

That’s odd. I’m on the waitlist for Laurier September in person advanced standing program and the email I got said the waitlist will remain open until July 31st 2020 - no offers of admission will be extended after this date. 

Unless you’re referring to the May online program? 

28 minutes ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

That’s odd. I’m on the waitlist for Laurier September in person advanced standing program and the email I got said the waitlist will remain open until July 31st 2020 - no offers of admission will be extended after this date. 

For Waterloo they said I'd know if I got an offer by the end of April....sorry meant to reply to hopefulandcurious

Edited by Vivi2020

32 minutes ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

Yes, May 2020. 

On 3/23/2020 at 10:12 PM, socialworkerjake said:

Hi everyone, I have been creeping these forums for awhile and now in the process of waiting on my applications. I've applied to the two year MSW programs at UoT and Laurier (part-time online) and currently in the process of completing my application for the online MSW program at Yeshiva University in NYC. The wait has honestly been very hard but knowing others are in the same boat has been reassuring. Did anyone else apply to any post-degree BSW programs? I have also applied to Dalhousie's post-degree online BSW. 

Hi, I also applied to the Dalhousie post-degree online BSW. I haven't heard anything from them, but its my understanding that we won't get our results until sometime in May. 

2 hours ago, JK1009469 said:

I have also been waitlisted! Do you have any idea how long the list is or how many people are admitted to the program??

The email I received (I'm sure you got the same one haha) says they don't disclose that information... and I haven't seen it anywhere else so I'm not sure. But on forums from previous years there seems to be a lot of movement off of the waitlist so that's good news!! 

Congrats! and good luck!! 

4 hours ago, lala91 said:

Hi, I also applied to the Dalhousie post-degree online BSW. I haven't heard anything from them, but its my understanding that we won't get our results until sometime in May. 

Hello! I haven't heard anything back as well, and I have read on the website that it says May! I wish we didn't have to wait so long! I have heard really good things about the program, and if I do not get accepted into any MSW program, I think I would still be happy with this option. 

Hi, I know this forum is for Masters but I applied to Carleton for BSW and I was wondering when do people typically hear back? I also have an undergrad and have worked with legal aid lawyer, internship with non profit organization, and helped somalian refugees as well, I volunteer with my church as well. My gpa is a 3.2 I know its not super high but I was wondering if I would still be well considered? super nervous

On 3/26/2020 at 11:08 AM, HopefulandCurious said:

Did anyone apply to May 2020 Laurier Advanced Standing (online)? 

If I remember correctly, was today the date you had to give a decision by? Anxiously waiting on waitlist status.....

I received my offer of admission to Laurier advanced standing May start in early January with an acceptance date of the end of January. I then had until mid March to get copies of my transcripts to them or my offer would be retracted. Best of luck!

Decisions for the 1 year HBSW at Lakehead are going to be delayed just emailed Madge Chen, not sure to when exactly.

"Unfortunately there will be a delay in sending our offers of admission to the one-year HBSW program as our staff are busy with dealing with field placements with our current students.  Also decisions still need to be made about the delivery of the one-year program as situations with the COVID-19 are changing by the day.  As soon as we know more we will be updating everyone.  Please continue to monitor your Lakehead University email account and myInfo for up-to-date information."

3 hours ago, MSWhopeful2020 said:

I received my offer of admission to Laurier advanced standing May start in early January with an acceptance date of the end of January. I then had until mid March to get copies of my transcripts to them or my offer would be retracted. Best of luck!

Interesting. Thanks for the info! I wonder why the last date to hear about waitlist is April if decisions were made in January.... maybe because people change their minds/don't get their docs in/etc.