Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

4 hours ago, Starfinger10 said:

Anybody know of a good STATS course to take that's not heavily math related? I need this for my Waterloo MSW!!

They have a whole list of eligible courses on their website, could google course outlines to find a good fit. Unfortunately, probably going to have to do some math but it looks like the requirement is only to pass the course haha.

Anyone have insight in whether the 2020 MSW year will continue given the COVID-19 crisis is expected to last for months or even years? I know BSW programs are already indefinitely suspending practicums. 

6 hours ago, attempting said:

Anyone have insight in whether the 2020 MSW year will continue given the COVID-19 crisis is expected to last for months or even years? I know BSW programs are already indefinitely suspending practicums. 

U of T looks to be continuing, albeit the summer session may move online. It’s anyone’s guess about practicum Placements and how each school will manage it. I’m not sure how helpful it is to guess right now. My work is work from home until further notice. I guess that is indefinite?  As for years, I think we have to remain hopeful and control the controllable. Washing hands, social distancing, supporting each other and protecting the more vulnerable ?

16 hours ago, ShannonKK said:

They have a whole list of eligible courses on their website, could google course outlines to find a good fit. Unfortunately, probably going to have to do some math but it looks like the requirement is only to pass the course haha.

16 hours ago, ShannonKK said:

Which one did you take?

4 hours ago, DeniseMSW said:

hi all - today I declined Waterloo full time MSW and accepted U of T Advanced MSW

so at least room for one on the wait list for Waterloo.

Stay well everyone!

Denise

Thanks for the update! Did anyone decline thier parttime spot? Lol

Hi everyone, I have been creeping these forums for awhile and now in the process of waiting on my applications. I've applied to the two year MSW programs at UoT and Laurier (part-time online) and currently in the process of completing my application for the online MSW program at Yeshiva University in NYC. The wait has honestly been very hard but knowing others are in the same boat has been reassuring. Did anyone else apply to any post-degree BSW programs? I have also applied to Dalhousie's post-degree online BSW. 

14 hours ago, socialworkerjake said:

Hi everyone, I have been creeping these forums for awhile and now in the process of waiting on my applications. I've applied to the two year MSW programs at UoT and Laurier (part-time online) and currently in the process of completing my application for the online MSW program at Yeshiva University in NYC. The wait has honestly been very hard but knowing others are in the same boat has been reassuring. Did anyone else apply to any post-degree BSW programs? I have also applied to Dalhousie's post-degree online BSW. 

I also just applied to Yeshiva!! Would love to hear your thoughts about the program/ get your insight about what you've heard about it! 

3 hours ago, jberma01 said:

I also just applied to Yeshiva!! Would love to hear your thoughts about the program/ get your insight about what you've heard about it! 

Oh that’s great! I haven’t seen many Canadians talk about the Yeshiva program so it’s nice to hear someone else is also applying! I’ve heard really great things from the research I’ve done. I’ve also been in contact with the admissions coordinators and have had a few conversations with them over the phone. They also connected me with a current student in the program who is also taking it from Canada. She highly recommended it and said she’s really enjoying it. I also know that it is an accredited program in Canada, so registering with the college shouldn’t be an issue (at least I know for Ontario) although you may need to check with the social work regulating body in your province if you are not from here. The only drawback I would say is the price, as the program is expensive. 

Any other folks out here on the forum contemplating acceptances between Ryerson and York? Slide into my DMs! Would love to hear/share what others are sifting through and taking into consideration in the process. ❤️ 

Is anyone else wondering how COVID-19 will be affecting the programs? It's likely going to last for another year to 18 months- I've debated going with Waterloo (already distance ed), because it might be better than a hastily-put-together distance ed program at another school. 

I just asked Angela from UofT and got the same response(s) above. My guess is that we'll hear back from April 6 - 17*

* Last year, decisions for the Advanced standing and two-year programs at UofT were sent out 5 weeks apart - and the Advanced standing decisions for this year were sent out Mar. 2 (add 5 weeks and we're at April 6). 

I had a question for anyone who was offered admission at Ryerson for their full time program: what is the funding package (if there is one) like? Were you offered any scholarships/grants, etc.? Asking because I was waitlisted at Ryerson and accepted at York. Ryerson was my first choice but York's funding package is a sweet deal so now I"m trying to decide whether I should hold out on this waitlist. 

Thanks! 

18 hours ago, SquigglesSquiggles said:

Is anyone else wondering how COVID-19 will be affecting the programs? It's likely going to last for another year to 18 months- I've debated going with Waterloo (already distance ed), because it might be better than a hastily-put-together distance ed program at another school. 

I struggled with the same decision. In the end, I chose u of t. I registered early and am starting two online classes end of April. They were always meant to be online. Who knows if it’s the right choice? All choices are harder to make right now with so many unknowns!!  Good luck with your decision, and maybe I will see you (virtually or otherwise) in some of my classes!