Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

44 minutes ago, msw2020l said:

Does anyone know how many students Laurier MSW 2 Year accept and UofT 2 Year MSW?

Last I emailed, I was told that Laurier accepts 80 for the 2 year in person program! 

11 minutes ago, olivolia said:

Last I emailed, I was told that Laurier accepts 80 for the 2 year in person program! 

(As we heard a few pages back) Western accepted 20/300 applicants this year... do we know how many applicants Laurier typically has? I assume more than Western 

1 hour ago, jberma01 said:

(As we heard a few pages back) Western accepted 20/300 applicants this year... do we know how many applicants Laurier typically has? I assume more than Western 

Curious as to the same rates for Waterloo, both full and part time programs.

2 hours ago, jberma01 said:

When I asked she said around 360, but I asked in December so I’m not sure if she was referring to the previous year or so far for this year? 

On 3/9/2020 at 12:25 PM, courtmsw said:

Has anyone been accepted to the full-time advanced standing at Waterloo yet? I've seen some people accepted to the part-time program, but not to the full time one yet!

I have been accepted! But I’ll be declining as I’m accepting U of T. 
best of luck ?

25 minutes ago, SOCIALWERK2020 said:

I have been accepted! But I’ll be declining as I’m accepting U of T. 
best of luck ?

Congrats on your acceptance to u of t, and thank you!! 

I got into the Advanced Standing, full time programs for U of T (MH & H), Laurier, and Western! All September 2020 starts. I will be attending U of T.

Career trajectory:
Completed BA, took the summer off to volunteer as an intake worker in a social service, then got first job in social services (skills development). Worked there for 2 years then decided to go back to school and complete a 2 year BSW (84% avg, spiced up by participating in student council and applying to awards/bursaries). Worked full time as an addiction counsellor, part time with LGBTQ youth and respite, for 2 more years, then applied to my MSW and got in! On the side, I also completed a lot of professional development (just like lunch and learns and agency trainings - about 1 a month) and took on different volunteer opportunities for the agencies I worked for organizing festivals/fundraisers.

Based on my experience, I would recommend that if you can, do your BSW first. Really focus on your statement of interest, keep it passionate about the social work field and career experiences with only a sprinkle of the personal. Look up YouTube videos on what social work is, or advice videos on writing grad school statement of interests. If you can, attend MSW information sessions. I know how crushing a no can be (applied and rejected to an MA program right out of my BA), but giving yourself time to grow and hone in on what will make you stand out as a candidate is by no means a failing.

Edited by Rehbekuh

2 minutes ago, Rehbekuh said:

I got into the Advanced Standing, full time programs for U of T (MH & H), Laurier, and Western! All September 2020 starts. I will be attending U of T.

Career trajectory:
Completed BA, took the summer off to volunteer as an intake worker in a social service, then got first job in social services (skills development). Worked there for 2 years then decided to go back to school and complete a 2 year BSW (84% avg, spiced up by participating in student council and applying to awards/bursaries). Worked full time as an addiction counsellor, part time with LGBTQ youth and respite, for 2 more years, then applied to my MSW and got in! On the side, I also completed a lot of professional development (just like lunch and learns and agency trainings - about 1 a month) and took on different volunteer opportunities for the agencies I worked for organizing festivals/fundraisers.

Based on my experience, I would recommend that if you can, do your BSW first. Really focus on your statement of interest, keep it passionate about the social work field and career experiences with only a sprinkle of the personal. Look up YouTube videos on what social work is, or advice videos on writing grad school statement of interests. If you can, attend MSW information sessions. I know how crushing a no can be (applied and rejected to an MA program right out of my BA), but giving yourself time to grow and hone in on what will make you stand out as a candidate is by no means a failing.

What GPA is an 84%, haha. Pretty sure I messed up there.

2 minutes ago, HopelessMSWApplicant said:

What GPA is an 84%, haha. Pretty sure I messed up there.

https://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/registrar/u-t-grading-scheme

I am sure they will translate it for you! It's frustrating that the schools use different grading schemes, hopefully they take into account your transcript more! 

1 minute ago, Rehbekuh said:

https://www.utsc.utoronto.ca/registrar/u-t-grading-scheme

I am sure they will translate it for you! It's frustrating that the schools use different grading schemes, hopefully they take into account your transcript more! 

That is totally my hope... Still feeling quite silly, though, because this could be the line ?

36 minutes ago, HopelessMSWApplicant said:

Pretty sure I messed up my Waterloo one by not 'self-declaring' my GPA correctly in percentages ? Hopefully they overlook the fact I think I drastically under-declared.. I suck at that.

I made a huge mistake a drastically over declared and still made it to the waitlist so theres hope! They do check it themselves to! You can actually see this info on quest. What you did and what they calculated. It's under education.

Edited by Vivi2020