Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

received my waitlist message from western this morning through the student centre and then through email. spoke w tosha over the phone and she said 20/300 applicants have been accepted and there is a small waitlist, for those who were wondering :)

29 minutes ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

Anyone accepted to Laurier advanced standing who is not going? Trying to figure out my chances on the wait-list...
Also - how long were you given to decide?

I got into Laurier advanced standing and I'm planning to decline. I was given until March 26 to respond.

Hiii everyone! I got my offer of admissions to Laurier Advanced Standing MSW! Honestly was shocked. Wait listed at U of T but think I might accept Laurier. Anyone else also accepting to the advanced standing?? 

20 hours ago, jberma01 said:

aaand there's my rejection from Western via email!! 2/4 rejections... wondering why I even applied at all ?

This was my 3rd time applying! The programs are really competitive, I went back to two other programs (postgrad diploma and a different masters both with practicums that turned into summer jobs) before getting accepted for the first time this year

19 hours ago, asingh25 said:

received my waitlist message from western this morning through the student centre and then through email. spoke w tosha over the phone and she said 20/300 applicants have been accepted and there is a small waitlist, for those who were wondering :)

Was this the advanced standing or 2 year

20 hours ago, olivolia said:

Do you mind sharing your average/experience etc?

Around 10,000 hours over 10 years in case management, crisis intervention, group facilitation and drop ins. I've worked in addictions, homelessness, queer and trans youth , mental illness and physical disabilities. 

GPA in undergrad was overall 80% with a 4.0 in diploma program assaulted women and children counsellor 

On 3/10/2020 at 9:44 AM, French_MSW said:

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking about applying to the online advanced standing MSW program at Laurier that starts in January 2021. The deadline for applications is May 1st, 2020. But I really don't know if it's worth my time to apply or not. Has anyone gotten into their online program and would mind telling me about how much experience they had under their belt before they applied? Money is really tight right now so I don't want to spend the money if I don't even have a chance. 

I do have quite a bit of experience. I just got waitlisted for the UofT Advanced Standing MSW program for the MH&H stream. Unfortunately UofT was the only program I applied to. So I do have some experience, but obviously not enough to get into UofT. I would appreciate any feedback at all, or even a contact name for Laurier to speak with someone directly at the school. 

Thanks so much!

I was accepted into Laurier’s May 2020 advanced MSW program. I obtained my BSW in 2011. I was working in the social service field prior to getting my BSW. I have about 15 years in the field. I currently work in child protection. 

When I spoke to the advisor at Laurier I was told most accepted applicants have on average 8-10 years experience in the social service field. This includes volunteer experience. 

Have a conversation with an advisor and then decide if applying is a good option for you. 

Hey everyone,

I will be accepted Ryerson's offer today and declining Laurier's/taking myself off the wait list for U of T and McMaster. Still haven't heard from York.

Good luck everyone - if anyone ever has any questions please feel free to ask.

29 minutes ago, niccsg said:

Hey everyone,

I will be accepted Ryerson's offer today and declining Laurier's/taking myself off the wait list for U of T and McMaster. Still haven't heard from York.

Good luck everyone - if anyone ever has any questions please feel free to ask.

Which Laurier program had you gotten an acceptance for? / That you will be turning down. 
I am noticing that keeping tracking of all the Laurier admissions is getting tricky because there are May and September streams, and online and on-campus versions of each!

Just curious, how will you know if you get an offer off the waitlist? Do they email you (waterloo) or do i still need to be checking quest? I heard you only have ten days to respond so I dont want to miss it!

Also, in general, do the offers come out right away as people turn them down or is there a waiting type period?

1 hour ago, HopefulandCurious said:

Which Laurier program had you gotten an acceptance for? / That you will be turning down. 
I am noticing that keeping tracking of all the Laurier admissions is getting tricky because there are May and September streams, and online and on-campus versions of each!

The only streams I applied to were advanced and September starts.

I agree -  I can`t imagine how confusing it is since there`s May and September beginnings.