Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

For all y’all who have been accepted and are going to choose UofT advanced standing, the 2021 class already has a Facebook group. As of now there are only last year’s first year students in it, but since we’re all going to be in the same cohort, y’all can join. 
The group is secret so that no one on Facebook can find the group and the list of members (for cyber safety reasons), so you have to be invited by a current member. As one of the admins of the group, you can add me as a friend on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/susiechicafelix), send me a DM (so I know who you are) and I will accept your request and add you to the group. 
Once you’re in, you can remove me as a friend. 

I applied to two programs, both distance/online, both advanced standing, both for September 2020 start.

1. UVic - I received an email today with an offer of admission. Must respond my March 27 with my acceptance.

2. Laurier - I have not heard anything yet and I did just check LORIS.

Good luck to everyone.

On 3/5/2020 at 7:27 PM, Hayleymsw said:

I have officially accepted Carleton and passed on UofT, for me it made more sense financially. Good luck to everyone in the UofT waitlist ❤️

Are you in the advance standing or 2year at carleton?

Hi everyone!

I've been accepted into UofT's Indigenous Resiliency & Trauma stream,

but got this msg from UVIC MSW admissions yesterday:

Your application for admission to the University of Victoria has been carefully considered. We regret to inform you that your application has been refused for the following reason:

The School of Social Work has reviewed your file and cannot offer you admission.

Anyone have any idea why they might write something like that? It seems like a weird thing for admissions to say. Is it that I didn't meet certain requirements? (even though I double checked them). Is it that I just didn't rate high enough on their scale of potential applicants? gaaah so confused. Let me know if you might have ideas or whether you've seen this before!

1 hour ago, westcoastmsw said:

Hi everyone!

Your application for admission to the University of Victoria has been carefully considered. We regret to inform you that your application has been refused for the following reason:

The School of Social Work has reviewed your file and cannot offer you admission.

Anyone have any idea why they might write something like that? It seems like a weird thing for admissions to say. Is it that I didn't meet certain requirements? (even though I double checked them). Is it that I just didn't rate high enough on their scale of potential applicants? gaaah so confused. Let me know if you might have ideas or whether you've seen this before!

I think any answers you may get on here would just be speculation. Perhaps if you contact admissions directly they may give you some feedback? 

4 hours ago, Kristine said:

Hi guys,

Has anyone heard anything about the Windsor working professionals MSW? I am wondering how the program compares to other schools.

I am interested too!

4 hours ago, westcoastmsw said:

Hi everyone!

Hi,

I also got that message from UVic yesterday. The best I can figure (in my case) is that it's because I don't have 2 years of post BSW experience- just graduated. (I had several years of pre-BSW experience on crisis lines, community support work, etc) 

On 3/6/2020 at 5:45 PM, Ihatethissomuch said:

Hmmmm. I haven’t heard anything from Laurier yet. Guessing I’m waitlisted or rejected. 

Has anyone heard negative news from there?

I applied for the part time online advanced standing program at Laurier and heard that I was waitlisted sometime in Mid-Feb. I also know some people who applied for non-advanced standing got rejection notifications around the same time. 

Hi everyone,

I got accepted by UBC (Vancouver) and U of T's MSW Program (Advanced Standing). Just want to see if anyone here has more information about UBC's msw program and the difference between these two schools? I didn't see so much discussion about UBC's MSW program in the forum. 

1 hour ago, sywudi1994 said:

Hi everyone,

I got accepted by UBC (Vancouver) and U of T's MSW Program (Advanced Standing). Just want to see if anyone here has more information about UBC's msw program and the difference between these two schools? I didn't see so much discussion about UBC's MSW program in the forum. 

Hey! UofT is more clinical and competitive. I dont know anything about the UBC MSW program, but I did my BSW there and would not recommend. None of my peers im in contact with from bsw chose to pursue further sw studies at UBC. They went to York, UofT, UVIC, UNBC, Waterloo mainly. It’s a bit of a running joke with us. They may have changed the MSW in recent years though....it’s been nearly 5 since I graduated 

6 hours ago, sywudi1994 said:

Hi everyone,

UBC Social Work is such a joke! I did my undergrad there and there’s lots of racism around the faculty. And there’s no guarantee you will learn something or even graduate in time due to professors or instructors leaving in the middle of the semester. Wont recommend it! 

I just received my laurier advanced standing waitlist notification. I have already accepted Carleton so I will be declining to be placed on the waitlist. It is better than the outright rejection I got last year lol. 

My waiting is done! My fingers are crossed for all of you, I know how painful it is to get rejected and how difficult the waiting game can be. Good luck and positive vibes to all of you. 

1 hour ago, Hayleymsw said:

I just received my laurier advanced standing waitlist notification. I have already accepted Carleton so I will be declining to be placed on the waitlist. It is better than the outright rejection I got last year lol. 

My waiting is done! My fingers are crossed for all of you, I know how painful it is to get rejected and how difficult the waiting game can be. Good luck and positive vibes to all of you. 

Congratulations! Did you get the Laurier waitlist notification on Loris or via email?