Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

Hey all! I love seeing all these acceptances roll in! Congrats to those who have heard back, and to those who have not yet please don't hold a heavy heart. This is my second year applying to the advanced standing MSW, so I can understand the sting of rejection all too well. That being said I have also seen acorn's Invited message - I applied to the social justice and diversity stream! 

I just got invited to U of T’s MSW as well!! I’m actually shocked! Congrats to everyone who was accepted so far! 

To those still waiting, if you get in this year, that’s incredible! If not, a waitlist or rejection does not reflect your ability to be a great social worker, or your worth as a person. Last year I was waitlisted by U of T, you can still get your MSW, it may just take some time. ❤️ 

I’m here if anyone needs to talk?

Congratulations to everyone who has gotten u o f t acceptances so far! Does anyone from past years know if the acceptances come out on a rolling basis or is it all at once? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Edited by sunflower21

42 minutes ago, SOCIALWERK2020 said:

I just got invited to U of T’s MSW as well!! I’m actually shocked! Congrats to everyone who was accepted so far! 

To those still waiting, if you get in this year, that’s incredible! If not, a waitlist or rejection does not reflect your ability to be a great social worker, or your worth as a person. Last year I was waitlisted by U of T, you can still get your MSW, it may just take some time. ❤️ 

Hi there! Congrats on your acceptance! It's nice to see individuals who didn't give up after the first attempt at applying :) . 

I had two questions for you- firstly, did you spend time improving your GPA or increasing volunteering/research experience after you got wait listed last year by U of T? Secondly, is your acceptance to U of T for the advanced standing MSW or the 2 year non BSW MSW?

Thank you! 

27 minutes ago, Juli3270 said:

Hi there! Congrats on your acceptance! It's nice to see individuals who didn't give up after the first attempt at applying :) . 

I had two questions for you- firstly, did you spend time improving your GPA or increasing volunteering/research experience after you got wait listed last year by U of T? Secondly, is your acceptance to U of T for the advanced standing MSW or the 2 year non BSW MSW?

Thank you! 

Hope you don't mind my chiming in! I was also wait-listed last year for UofT, and spent the year actually looking for employment and utterly failing. I did my post-degree BSW at Mac and wanted to stay in Toronto because it's where I'm from, but the BSW job market here is terrible and it took an incredible toll on my mental health (which was already reeling from the York and Laurier rejections). So I ended up volunteering - I have been a hospital volunteer since 14 so I kept that going. I also took up a research position purely volunteer basis which then took a part time role, and is now full time. I changed gears with my application as well. Last year I had applied to the mental health and health stream, but I realized my true passion is very much so directed towards social justice, of which mental health is an integral part. I rewrote my application to really make this choice shine, and emphasized why I made the change as well. I think I really had to take a step back and evaluate why I wanted to pursue the MSW (monetary value aside). In doing so I was able to rewrite my statements and add to them with volunteering experiences I was actually passionate about! I hope this helps! (Also I applied to the advanced standing MSW). 

1 hour ago, SOCIALWERK2020 said:

Hi! Did you see changes on ACORN but nothing on the SGSAdmissions??

3 hours ago, SOCIALWERK2020 said:

Where did you see the acceptance, on SGS?

2 hours ago, Juli3270 said:

Thank you! 

Hi! 

I was (and still am) working Monday to Friday, so no, I did not upgrade any classes or do research. That would be a good idea though! I took on an extra role with a volunteer agency I’ve been with for 2.5 years though! Also, I’m lucky to have a job where I have significant input in my role, and in the project we are working on (which I have been with since it began). 

If you think you may be lacking experience, try considering volunteering if that’s an option! Message me if you have any questions, I personally found my volunteering helped me gain so many skills ?

I was accepted into the advanced standing (mh & h stream). I have a BA in psych and sociology (2013) and a BSW (2017)!

Edited by SOCIALWERK2020

Congrats to everyone who got their UofT acceptances so far!!

I'm feeling really anxious.

I'm wondering if there's anyone else here that's applied to UofT Advanced Standing MH&H stream and still hasn't heard back yet? I'm just wondering if all the "invites" for the MH&H stream have gone out already or if they're being released on a rolling basis?

24 minutes ago, French_MSW said:

I'm wondering if there's anyone else here that's applied to UofT Advanced Standing MH&H stream and still hasn't heard back yet? I'm just wondering if all the "invites" for the MH&H stream have gone out already or if they're being released on a rolling basis?

I'm in the same boat as you - haven't seen an invite on Acorn and haven't gotten a letter in the mail/update SGS. Here's hoping there are additional acceptances on the way :(

12 hours ago, French_MSW said:

Same here, nothing yet. I think those were first round picks 

Having been waitlisted last year - the short answer is no. The way Angela has said this in the past is - there are no positions on the waitlist - they match incoming students by how best the admissions committee feels they would fit into the program. I think a lot of it comes down to matching students to ones they've previously accepted, hence why it's not a numbered waitlist situation. I know this doesn't help ease any anxiety, but I just wanted to share what's been previously known. I'm fingers crossed for you though friend, I am hoping the tide turns in your favour.