Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

2 hours ago, jmessws said:

I totally empathize with how awful waiting can be. I applied the last two years to graduate programs where the applications were due December/January and you didn't find out until May. It was so hard, especially the second and third (this) year! 

What got me through was a couple of things. First schedule something in the coming weeks that you can look forward to. That way, if you get good news you have something to celebrate with. If you get not so good news, it'll be something to cheer you up. Or if you still haven't heard back it'll be a good way to distract yourself!

Also, and I know this is easier said than done, limit yourself to how many times you spend checking these forums and your email/application portal. I found that on days that I was constantly checking it made it even more difficult and that I became obsessive at times. It was really bad for my mental health.

I know these suggestions won't necessarily be universally helpful, but I found that they helped me get through the waiting process. 

Good luck to all of you and I hope you get the good news you've been waiting for! 

Also, here's a cute picture of a dog named Pippa that I found on the internet to hopefully put a bit of a smile on your guys' faces! 

cute-wholesome-dog-puppy-memes-275-590985f418070__700.jpg

This is so lovely of you to share such a heart warming post! Thank you for the lovely tips ❤️  they are helpful!!

On 2/17/2020 at 5:11 PM, MSW-101 said:

Current Advanced Standing University of Toronto student here. I understand and appreciate the waiting period, and how anxiety-provoking it can be for some. I was in your position this time last year. I just want to congratulate everyone on how far you have come and how much you have accomplished thus far. Keep in mind that an "Acceptance or Decline" does not in any way reflect who you are as a person. There is limited space for each program and it is highly competitive. For those who will get acceptance, congratulation. For those who are decline, keep trying. It might not be your year, but who knows, you might get in next year or the next time you apply. I can't stress enough how important self-care is. Do engage in activities that you enjoy to keep you active and sane throughout this process.
For those who applied to the University of Toronto, judging from last year and the previous intake on grad cafe, 1st round acceptance for ADVANCED STANDING started the week of Family day long weekend. Hoping that it is the same this year.

If you are accepted to UofT your ACORN will chance to "INVITED"

Fun Facts: last year for those of us who got accepted on February 19th, our ACORN status changed to 'Invited" then when the page timed out or if it was refreshed the "invited" disappeared. We figured it was because of the volume of update the administration was doing that caused that glitched. In the end, those who experienced this were in fact admitted to the program.

Good luck to everyone.

How do you log into ACORN? Where would you find login info? 

On 2/17/2020 at 8:17 PM, ShannonKK said:

has anyone's application status changed on carleton central from review in progress by department? for the 2 year program...

I just got my acceptance letter today?

On 2/19/2020 at 3:22 PM, msw_is_stressful said:

Hi DalGrad! We received instructions to create an ACORN account via email after submitting the application! I've attached a screenshot of mine so hopefully you'll be able to find it in your email, mine was sent on December 11th! It includes instructions on how to login/set up your account, they just aren't shown in the picture. If you have any questions feel free to DM me! I'm hoping that we will still be able to see on ACORN if we got accepted or not, I really don't want to have to wait for a letter in the mail!!!!!!!!! 

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 3.19.09 PM.png

I definitely never received this email, do I email admissions about this??

41 minutes ago, VanSW said:

Congratulations!!! Advanced Standing or 2 year? Did it also change for you online?

For the two year program at Carleton. I was sent an email and the status changed on Carleton central to "Decision made by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs: Application Approved"

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum so it’s nice to meet all of you! I wanted to get more information about the Carleton Msw program. I can’t seem to find much information about whether the program is clinical? How are the placement opportunities? Or any reviews about the program overall. Any type of insight would be appreciated !

7 hours ago, Lalalla said:

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum so it’s nice to meet all of you! I wanted to get more information about the Carleton Msw program. I can’t seem to find much information about whether the program is clinical? How are the placement opportunities? Or any reviews about the program overall. Any type of insight would be appreciated !

Carleton’s MSW program can focus on clinical and/or structural Social Work. Placement options are awesome. Everything from CAS, CHEO, and hospices to Mental Health agencies and non-profits. MSW placements get prioritized over BSW and happen from April to June so there’s less competition from other schools. 

This link breaks it all down. 
https://carleton.ca/socialwork/msw-program/

16 minutes ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

UPDATE - Angela from U of T admissions responded to my email. She said “Decisions for the advanced standing MSW Program will be out by the end of next week.”

Thank you!  That will save a lot of us time refreshing all day long :) (speaking for myself) 

On 2/26/2020 at 12:11 PM, Lalalla said:

18 hours ago, eleanormsw said:

Carleton’s MSW program can focus on clinical and/or structural Social Work. Placement options are awesome. Everything from CAS, CHEO, and hospices to Mental Health agencies and non-profits. MSW placements get prioritized over BSW and happen from April to June so there’s less competition from other schools. 

This link breaks it all down. 
https://carleton.ca/socialwork/msw-program/

Thank you so much!!! Do you know anyone from the program? And congratulations on getting accepted !!!

48 minutes ago, Lalalla said:

Thank you so much!!! Do you know anyone from the program? And congratulations on getting accepted !!!

You may also find this helpful. It explains some of the changes made to the program in 2018ish.

https://carleton.ca/senate/wp-content/uploads/Appendix_Senate_2018_11_30-SAPC_Supporting_Documents.pdf

Edited by ShannonKK
incorrect info

2 hours ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

UPDATE - Angela from U of T admissions responded to my email. She said “Decisions for the advanced standing MSW Program will be out by the end of next week.”

Thank you so much for asking about this!!! It's a later admission decision than we all hoped but glad to have information now! 

35 minutes ago, sunflower21 said:

Is this for the online program or on-campus? 

I spoke with Danielle Belliveau from Laurier and yes she said:

"Thank you for reaching out. Admissions will be giving out decisions for September 2020 applicants in May. You will receive either an e-mail or a letter in the mail." 

I was asking for September start for the part time online 2 year MSW program. 

Edited by Juli3270