Jump to content

Canada MSW 2020


rolearly34

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, jberma01 said:

 

I'm in Ontario! So this eases my anxiety a little bit...

Thanks for your support!! And congrats to you both again, so exciting!! :) Is dal the only school you applied to/ is it your first choice??

You're more than welcome! I know how nerve wracking it can be waiting to hear back. 

I applied to UofT too, but Dal is definitely my first choice!

Edited by jmessws
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, jberma01 said:

 

I'm in Ontario! So this eases my anxiety a little bit...

Thanks for your support!! And congrats to you both again, so exciting!! :) Is dal the only school you applied to/ is it your first choice??

Thank you very much! I had also applied to the MSW (non-BSW) program at Laurier University and the BSW program at St. Thomas University. I had planned to apply to the BSW program at Dal as well, but won't be submitting that application now. Dal was my top choice for sure, I'll be sending my deposit once I get the official letter!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s so hard to wait for the results. I have only applied to two two-year programs, U of T and Western. My volunteering experiences are rather limited and I daren’t to have high hopes. In many ways, now looking back, I don’t even know why I applied. Every day sitting here waiting for the decisions is hard :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi londonvisa, 

I wanted to reach out and let you know that no matter the outcome, going through the application process is still an amazing experience and you will gain something either way in the end (I am trying very hard every single day to remind myself of this as well). The waiting game is absolutely brutal, I find it consumes all of my energy especially when I just mindlessly scroll through all of these forums of previous years! I am always here to chat if you need anything. I'm hoping that your anxieties will be settled with some answers in the near future! Thinking of you and sending you good energy! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all,
I am considering applying to the MSW for working professionals (non-BSW) at U of Windsor (peel location). My grades are 2 points shy of what they post as a minimum requirement. Do you know if they may consider candidates who do not meet this requirement, but can write a letter explaining why grades are low?
I also applied to the HBSW program at Lakehead, and the 3 year part time BSW at Ryerson.
Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, msw_is_stressful said:

Hi londonvisa, 

I wanted to reach out and let you know that no matter the outcome, going through the application process is still an amazing experience and you will gain something either way in the end (I am trying very hard every single day to remind myself of this as well). The waiting game is absolutely brutal, I find it consumes all of my energy especially when I just mindlessly scroll through all of these forums of previous years! I am always here to chat if you need anything. I'm hoping that your anxieties will be settled with some answers in the near future! Thinking of you and sending you good energy! 

Thank you for your kindness, msw_is_stressful. It is so nice to have people understanding how it feels and sharing the positive energy. I hope we will be able to get into our dream programs.

Edited by londonvisa
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Current Advanced Standing University of Toronto student here. I understand and appreciate the waiting period, and how anxiety-provoking it can be for some. I was in your position this time last year. I just want to congratulate everyone on how far you have come and how much you have accomplished thus far. Keep in mind that an "Acceptance or Decline" does not in any way reflect who you are as a person. There is limited space for each program and it is highly competitive. For those who will get acceptance, congratulation. For those who are decline, keep trying. It might not be your year, but who knows, you might get in next year or the next time you apply. I can't stress enough how important self-care is. Do engage in activities that you enjoy to keep you active and sane throughout this process.
For those who applied to the University of Toronto, judging from last year and the previous intake on grad cafe, 1st round acceptance for ADVANCED STANDING started the week of Family day long weekend. Hoping that it is the same this year.

 

If you are accepted to UofT your ACORN will chance to "INVITED"

Fun Facts: last year for those of us who got accepted on February 19th, our ACORN status changed to 'Invited" then when the page timed out or if it was refreshed the "invited" disappeared. We figured it was because of the volume of update the administration was doing that caused that glitched. In the end, those who experienced this were in fact admitted to the program.

 

Good luck to everyone.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, 

I know this is a group for people who have already applied to an MSW program in Canada for this year's intake, 

I am planing on applying to Waterloo/Renison for the 2021 intake and was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips for me? 

All the schools seem to be so competitive :( . I have my BSW and by the end of this year I will have over two years of work experience in addition to volunteer and practicum experience. 

Currently working as a social worker for a health organization. Therefore, I picked the health focused online stream. 

I don't plan on applying for more or should I?

My understanding is that your research, intro and interest should stand out and obviously match the program's goals. 

Thoughts? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KerstinS said:

Hi everyone, 

I know this is a group for people who have already applied to an MSW program in Canada for this year's intake, 

I am planing on applying to Waterloo/Renison for the 2021 intake and was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips for me? 

All the schools seem to be so competitive :( . I have my BSW and by the end of this year I will have over two years of work experience in addition to volunteer and practicum experience. 

Currently working as a social worker for a health organization. Therefore, I picked the health focused online stream. 

I don't plan on applying for more or should I?

My understanding is that your research, intro and interest should stand out and obviously match the program's goals. 

Thoughts? 

Based on what I've heard i.e., people applying for many years before they get in, or applying to up to 14 schools at a time and only getting into 1 or a few... I would apply to more if you are able to attend somewhere other than Waterloo! I applied to 4 (non-BSW) and I think I'll be lucky if I get into 1 just based on competition and the number of applicants!! 

I would go through a lot of these forums! I found some helpful info recently that I wish I found while I was completing my applications. 

Good luck :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jberma01 said:

Based on what I've heard i.e., people applying for many years before they get in, or applying to up to 14 schools at a time and only getting into 1 or a few... I would apply to more if you are able to attend somewhere other than Waterloo! I applied to 4 (non-BSW) and I think I'll be lucky if I get into 1 just based on competition and the number of applicants!! 

I would go through a lot of these forums! I found some helpful info recently that I wish I found while I was completing my applications. 

Good luck :) 

This is what worries me. I didn’t apply to many more schools when I obviously should have. I understand applying to more universities doesn’t guarantee a higher chance of acceptance but it does give you a stronger sense of security. I’m preparing for the worst and thinking what can be done this year to make my application a stronger one for next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi guys never posted here before but long time neurotic follower/ obsessor... Lol I know there's more like me out there! Just wanted to point out that it was this day last year (Tues after Family Day) that UofT advanced standing acceptances went out! Will be checking all day. I'm getting obsessive lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, hopes2020 said:

Hi guys never posted here before but long time neurotic follower/ obsessor... Lol I know there's more like me out there! Just wanted to point out that it was this day last year (Tues after Family Day) that UofT advanced standing acceptances went out! Will be checking all day. I'm getting obsessive lol

I have been refreshing all day! It's so hard not to get obsessive over it... OMG! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi All,
Exciting to see admission letters start to come through - congrats to everyone who has been accepted!!

I have applied to UBC, Uvic (advanced standing/distance), and Laurier (advanced standing/distance).
Wondering if anyone knows when we should expect to hear back from these school? ...so I can get a better sense of how ridiculous my constant refreshing is at this juncture :)

Thank you!
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello everyone,

 

I've applied to U of T and Wilfred both 2 year non BSW program. I would have applied to more schools but I'm getting married in August and will be living in the GTA so I can't go elsewhere. I did my undergrad at York and was more into clinical vs grass roots policy change/human rights MSW so I did not apply there. My fingers are crossed but this program seems so competitive. My stats grade was good at an A- but my GPA was only a 3.15 (really was not seeing past undergrad at the time unfortunately- graduated 4 years ago) which yes makes the 3.0 cut off but with the vast majority of students having over a 3.7, I'm starting to wonder why I applied without going back to do some courses to boost my grades. I did read last years forum that someone got in with a B average to U of T's program. I do have over 10,000 hours of relevant work experience/4 years of volunteer work at Sick Kids then also in the community and internationally. I've been a research assistant for Canada's largest children's development and nutrition study in a primary health care setting, as well as a research coordinator in hereditary cancer syndromes. I also have my CCRP SOCRA Clinical Research Professional Designation which is a big requirement for research in North America. I've been co-published in 36 papers (along with a really big research team so this sounds good but isn't a huge deal). I think my essay's went well. I had references from a pediatrician, my manager of 3 years and my previous volunteer coordinator who is a psychotherapist. I feel like my references were strong. 

 

Is anyone else in this boat? Good references, community involvement, research, hours and work experience but lower end GPA? 

Today's one of those day's I just keep checking for updates... painful waiting game :(. I will update should I hear anything in the way of a response for either schools.

Edited by Juli3270
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, msw_is_stressful said:

If anyone's status on ACORN changes to INVITED please update the forum so we know!!! hehe 

I've been checking ACORN all day!! Ugh I'm getting inpatient. I'll definitely post on here when I find out! I applied for Advanced Standing. Good luck to everyone!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.