Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

On 1/21/2020 at 9:04 PM, mswsteph said:

I did! Hello! But for the 2-year program. I was also waitlisted last year! This year, I applied to York's 2-year program as well, even though they accept so few students, just to try to cast a bit wider of a net since I only applied to U of T last year.

The waiting game is not the most fun thing in the world! I am really anxious this year too!

I agree, I hate the waiting game! Hopefully the next month will fly by and we'll find out sooner rather than later!

56 minutes ago, French_MSW said:

Is it your first time applying?

Last year, I heard back from them around February 20th I believe. So hopefully it will be around the same time this year!

It is my first year applying! I'll be graduating with my BSW in April lol, super nervous because I know how competitive MSW's are

Hey everyone, this waiting is so hard but I have to say checking this forum and seeing that we are all in the same boat really helps!!

I am curious - for anyone that would like to share, why did you decide to apply to the MSW programs that you did? What stood out to you for those schools?

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone here went through the UoT MSW ITR program. I've been invited for an interview and would love to know from those who've gone through the process before what to expect. What kinds of questions were asked etc. 

Hey everyone,

I have a question and I hope I don't get dragged for asking...I am currently a full-time case manager living in Toronto, and I only applied to U of T for my MSW. I knew it was a long shot, and I just wasn't willing to relocate out of the city and leave for schooling at the moment. This also leaves me in a situation where I will be paying Toronto rent while doing my masters full-time. This begs the question- is there any way anyone on here thinks it's possible (or is planning) to work full-time while doing class full-time? I would absolutely be taking a leave of absence from my job for when it came time to placements, but outside of that, there is just literally no way that I couldn't work 35 hours week and still afford rent. Thoughts? I think it should also be noted that my boss is aware that I'm applying for graduate school, and has already named she would be really flexible with me around my work schedule. On top of that, I work for an organization in which I get 18 sick days per year, 3 weeks of vacation, and other days to bank. I think it would be possible- miserable, but possible. Let me know!!!

1 hour ago, ksMSW2020 said:

Hey everyone,

I have a question and I hope I don't get dragged for asking...I am currently a full-time case manager living in Toronto, and I only applied to U of T for my MSW. I knew it was a long shot, and I just wasn't willing to relocate out of the city and leave for schooling at the moment. This also leaves me in a situation where I will be paying Toronto rent while doing my masters full-time. This begs the question- is there any way anyone on here thinks it's possible (or is planning) to work full-time while doing class full-time? I would absolutely be taking a leave of absence from my job for when it came time to placements, but outside of that, there is just literally no way that I couldn't work 35 hours week and still afford rent. Thoughts? I think it should also be noted that my boss is aware that I'm applying for graduate school, and has already named she would be really flexible with me around my work schedule. On top of that, I work for an organization in which I get 18 sick days per year, 3 weeks of vacation, and other days to bank. I think it would be possible- miserable, but possible. Let me know!!!

From my understanding - at U of T in particular, you are in classes pretty much 9-5 Monday through Friday. 
Did you apply for the part time program? That seems like it might be possible to continue to work full time while attaining your masters.

10 hours ago, ksMSW2020 said:

Hey everyone,

UofT schedules your classes for you from Monday - Wednesday, and has you at placement Thursday and Friday. This was in last years MSW handbook, and they mention that exceptions can be made pending approval and stuff

From what I've heard UofT isn't the most flexible with full-time and mature students, but if you took to the right people maybe you can be accommodated for.

I know other schools will allow you to do your placement in a block format (which sounds like what you'd like to do by taking a leave of absence), as well as schedule your own classes in the afternoon/ evening. 

I applied at UofT as well, but I also live in Toronto, pay rent, and work full-time. I did my entire BSW and placement while working full time and it was possible because of the flexibility of the BSW program at York, but I'm not sure how that's going to look during an MSW.

Got my first acceptance email today! U of C Leadership in the Social Services specialization.

Applied with 8000+ hours work experience in acute care, assertive community treatment, and a specialized outreach team in DTES. Plus about 2000 hours volunteer/practicum experience. GPA about 85% during my BSW (I had a prior degree in political science and it was not great there - high 70s). Also have been involved in one minor research project/presentation post-degree and did a self directed study/research project during my BSW which I definitely played up. 

So excited!!

Hi everyone! I've been scouring over this thread for a few days and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask or get advice but I'd figured I would give it a shot.

I really want to apply for my MSW next September (2021), however my options are really limited given that my overall GPA is not great all, not to mention I have a BA in Psychology instead of a BSW so it is a bit more difficult. My final year of undergrad is when I actually got my act together and achieved good grades with a B+ average. I am hoping that I can make up for my less than decent grades with many hours of paid/volunteer experience in the field, I'm looking to apply to Windsor, Western, UBC Okanagan and a few universities in the States.

I just wanted some insight and advice from anyone else on what I can do to strengthen my applications and which schools are more considerate of experience over a low GPA in your first 2-3 years of undergrad ? I've been volunteering as a Crisis Responder for the Canadian Suicide Prevention Services for almost a year now as well as volunteering at a farm that does equine assisted therapy and youth leadership programs, hopefully these hours will be considered relevant experience in the field. I've been looking into paid experience and jobs in the field but haven't found anything promising.

Also, is it worth it to do a 1 year BSW program (like the HBSW offered at Lakehead) to then get into a 1 year MSW? or better to do a 2 year stream MSW as I don't have a BSW?

I know my chances are slim and I may not get in the first try but I wanna get all my ducks in a row and add anything I can to my application to increase my chances of getting in! Any info is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you! :)

10 hours ago, Lovey1115 said:

Hi everyone! I've been scouring over this thread for a few days and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask or get advice but I'd figured I would give it a shot.

I really want to apply for my MSW next September (2021), however my options are really limited given that my overall GPA is not great all, not to mention I have a BA in Psychology instead of a BSW so it is a bit more difficult. My final year of undergrad is when I actually got my act together and achieved good grades with a B+ average. I am hoping that I can make up for my less than decent grades with many hours of paid/volunteer experience in the field, I'm looking to apply to Windsor, Western, UBC Okanagan and a few universities in the States.

I just wanted some insight and advice from anyone else on what I can do to strengthen my applications and which schools are more considerate of experience over a low GPA in your first 2-3 years of undergrad ? I've been volunteering as a Crisis Responder for the Canadian Suicide Prevention Services for almost a year now as well as volunteering at a farm that does equine assisted therapy and youth leadership programs, hopefully these hours will be considered relevant experience in the field. I've been looking into paid experience and jobs in the field but haven't found anything promising.

Also, is it worth it to do a 1 year BSW program (like the HBSW offered at Lakehead) to then get into a 1 year MSW? or better to do a 2 year stream MSW as I don't have a BSW?

I know my chances are slim and I may not get in the first try but I wanna get all my ducks in a row and add anything I can to my application to increase my chances of getting in! Any info is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you! :)

Hey,

I think you're on the right track by improving your resume with volunteer experience. Keep in mind, most schools look at your last year or two of university, so your earlier grades may not be as relevant. Your statement of intent and your references also play a huge role.

I was in a similar position to you, and chose the route of doing a one year BSW after my BA. I did this because there is less competition for MSW programs for students who have a BSW, and also because I wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into in terms of the career. If I could go back, I think I would do it all the same way. (I am in the Lakehead HBSW fyi - I would not do a 2 year BSW program.) It was more expensive this way, and it's been tough, but I think it will be worth it.

15 hours ago, knickerbocker19 said:

Got my first acceptance email today! U of C Leadership in the Social Services specialization.

Applied with 8000+ hours work experience in acute care, assertive community treatment, and a specialized outreach team in DTES. Plus about 2000 hours volunteer/practicum experience. GPA about 85% during my BSW (I had a prior degree in political science and it was not great there - high 70s). Also have been involved in one minor research project/presentation post-degree and did a self directed study/research project during my BSW which I definitely played up. 

So excited!!

Congratulations - very impressive application!!! Did they give any indication of funding and/or scholarship - not looking for a dollar amount just if referenced if you don't mind sharing.

I'm eagerly awaiting to hear back for the 2 year program. Hopefully this means the wait won't be much longer!!

Does anyone know when we should be hearing back from Dal about the 2 year non-BSW entry for fall 2020? 

Also, does anyone's online application still say they have items outstanding? My last referee still says incomplete even though the letter was sent in (confirmed by the department who receives the e-references)... making me very nervous!! 

On 1/29/2020 at 1:14 PM, volivia said:

Did everyone get that email from the 2 year MSW at western today? Really big tease .. 

yeah when the first line said, "congratulations", I screamed!! and then continued to read and realized I was being congratulated for completing my application lol HUGE tease!!!

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 2:40 PM, jberma01 said:

Does anyone know when we should be hearing back from Dal about the 2 year non-BSW entry for fall 2020? 

Also, does anyone's online application still say they have items outstanding? My last referee still says incomplete even though the letter was sent in (confirmed by the department who receives the e-references)... making me very nervous!! 

I know right!! Each day I hope that today is the day.

Looks like offers went out on February 11th last year.. and February 4th the year before. So anytime now!

Hey everyone! I applied to a few programs!! The waiting game is super tough and I was wondering if anyone knew when people heard back from U of T 2 year (non-BSW) MSW last year? The website is broad when it says mid february to mid april.... if anyone has a date they heard around that would be amazing :)

6 hours ago, hey123459 said:

Hey everyone! I applied to a few programs!! The waiting game is super tough and I was wondering if anyone knew when people heard back from U of T 2 year (non-BSW) MSW last year? The website is broad when it says mid february to mid april.... if anyone has a date they heard around that would be amazing :)

I was looking at last years page and for the 2 year program it looks like it was late March 

2 hours ago, JessiMSW said:

Has anyone heard from Dal for the non-BSW entry for the MSW? It seems to be a bit later this year than previous years! 

I was accepted to the Dal BSW entry program yesterday! Hopefully it comes soon!