Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

9 hours ago, N_D said:

YUPPPP! I still can't get over how their application asks for -substantially more- work than any of the other schools I'm applying to. Best of luck over the next 24 hours! 

AHHHH I know right! It will feel *good* once it is out of our hands... hopefully. Best of luck to you as well! You got this! :)

On 12/10/2019 at 9:38 AM, 7astrology-- said:

This is for the 2-year MSW btw. Not sure about Advanced Standing!

Last year for advanced standing, we pretty much all got our initial offers on one day in late February (at least for acceptances and waitlist). I was waitlisted, and wasn’t accepted off it. I got an email in the beginning of September (last possible day to get off it) saying I wasn’t! Hope this is helpful.

Hello, everyone. First time to this forum. 

I have only applied to U of T and Western, both 2-year. I started my applications late and missed quite a lot of the deadlines. I was at first feeling hopeful but I'm slightly deflated ? after knowing there are lots of competent applicants here! I hope we will be admitted to our first choices.

I started that for Laurentian but I have not finished it (and now the need to complete it is evident!) I have pretty much all my eggs in one basket... 

Hey everyone! I have an issue where one of my references didn't submit their form due to email and computer issues. I'm aware that Uoft will still accept late references but I'm unsure until when. Considering the deadline was Dec 10 and they will be closed for the holidays from Dec 23-Jan 3. My reference will most likely mail her reference form instead. I'm very stressed about the outcome since they won't review my application until it's complete. Has anyone been in this situation before? 

52 minutes ago, AyeshaH said:

Hey everyone! I have an issue where one of my references didn't submit their form due to email and computer issues. I'm aware that Uoft will still accept late references but I'm unsure until when. Considering the deadline was Dec 10 and they will be closed for the holidays from Dec 23-Jan 3. My reference will most likely mail her reference form instead. I'm very stressed about the outcome since they won't review my application until it's complete. Has anyone been in this situation before? 

It might be helpful to post this in one of the forums from last year or the year before!

3 hours ago, AyeshaH said:

You should contact Angela at admissions. She will be able to give you the right answer. Anything on this forum will probably just be speculation. 

13 hours ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

I have emailed her a few time’s and she usually responds pretty quickly. However it may be a particularly busy time for her. Hope you hear back soon!

Thanks for your advice! I emailed her instead of calling and heard back soon after :)

I use to be pretty confident before I started reading these forums, but now I'm actually quite worried!

I applied to the two year programs at UWO and Laurier, Counselling Psychology at OttawaU and the May 2020 online program at Laurier.

My average of last 10 credits - 85.8%, average of last 20 credits is 82.6%. 

I applied with 4700 hours, with over 3500 of them being direct work experience. The rest were volunteering. My experience is in dual diagnosis, developmental disabilities, mental health, criminal justice system, homelessness, addiction etc. 

When I applied to the online Laurier program I was only at 3750 hours so I have no hope for this program. 

Great references. Hopefully will get into 1 program at least!

For those of you who applied to UofT for MSW program (2 year), does your status also says "documents pending"? I looked and everything's already submitted except the optional demographic questionnaire. I'm wondering if it's because of that or should I call and ask them?

14 hours ago, kaur96 said:

For those of you who applied to UofT for MSW program (2 year), does your status also says "documents pending"? I looked and everything's already submitted except the optional demographic questionnaire. I'm wondering if it's because of that or should I call and ask them?

I applied for the advanced standing and didn't submit that questionnaire, but the status says "under review". You should def give em a call when they open back up.

On 12/28/2019 at 12:32 AM, kaur96 said:

Hello - I applied for the 2 year and didn't submit the questionnaire and my status says "Documents Pending" too! 

On 12/28/2019 at 12:32 AM, kaur96 said:

16 hours ago, 7astrology-- said:

Hello - I applied for the 2 year and didn't submit the questionnaire and my status says "Documents Pending" too! 

On the SGS Supporting Documents page it says the following:

When a document is uploaded to the system by you or one of your referees, the status of that document will automatically change from Pending to Received. However, even after all of your documents are Received, the overall status of your application will remain Documents Pending until the graduate unit manually verifies that the file is complete.

My status says "Under Review" as well, but "Documents Pending" just means a human person on their end hasn't checked over your documents yet to make sure they're all there. Don't worry!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just joining this site. I have two questions if anyone is able to answer them.

1) Does anyone know of any other online MSW programs that accept a non-social work BA? (ie. psych). I am already aware of the Wilfrid Laurier program... just wondering if any others. Also does anyone know if it matters if you do not live in Ontario for this program?

2) Advice needed on my GPA/grades:
My GPA in my final (4th year) of full time study is 3.95. However, since then I enrolled in two online courses (which I needed to apply to an Med in Counselling, but since decided on MSW instead). In the first course my final grade was A (3 credit course) and the second I did not complete before the final deadline (due to my own fault and confusion about the dates) and received a grade of F (3 credit course). I decided on a new path and no longer needed the course so did not go back and complete it again as I really disliked it! How would Wilfrid Laurier calculate my GPA in this case? Would the F be considered? Could I write a note to explain why that grade had been received? Would it look better to re-enroll in that course and complete it and receive a good grade to show I am capable or would it make a difference? Any advice on the situation would be appreciated!

Thank you!!

PS - Sorry, that kind of turned into a lot more than two questions!

Edited by coco-ray