Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

On 10/1/2019 at 7:02 PM, Golden10 said:

Hi everyone,

For those who were accepted into Laurier MSW Advanced Standing for January 2020 start, what was the date you had to accept by? I am currently on the wait list and just trying to gauge if I have any hope of it moving forward! Congrats to those who were accepted!

Did you get off the waitlist? 

On 1/8/2020 at 9:40 PM, coco-ray said:

Hi everyone, just joining this site. I have two questions if anyone is able to answer them.

1) Does anyone know of any other online MSW programs that accept a non-social work BA? (ie. psych). I am already aware of the Wilfrid Laurier program... just wondering if any others. Also does anyone know if it matters if you do not live in Ontario for this program?

2) Advice needed on my GPA/grades:
My GPA in my final (4th year) of full time study is 3.95. However, since then I enrolled in two online courses (which I needed to apply to an Med in Counselling, but since decided on MSW instead). In the first course my final grade was A (3 credit course) and the second I did not complete before the final deadline (due to my own fault and confusion about the dates) and received a grade of F (3 credit course). I decided on a new path and no longer needed the course so did not go back and complete it again as I really disliked it! How would Wilfrid Laurier calculate my GPA in this case? Would the F be considered? Could I write a note to explain why that grade had been received? Would it look better to re-enroll in that course and complete it and receive a good grade to show I am capable or would it make a difference? Any advice on the situation would be appreciated!

Thank you!!

PS - Sorry, that kind of turned into a lot more than two questions!

I can't say for sure, so it's better to contact the school. However, some schools look at, say, your last 10 courses in your undergrad whereas others look at, say, your grades in your 300 and 400 level courses. So it is dependent on how Laurier calculates GPAs (this should be available online), and if your course falls into the breadth of what they use to calculate. If that course falls into what they use to calculate, I do believe your grade in that course would be included. Some schools do allow you to make notes about particularly poor results if you would like. But for questions like this it's probably best to contact the faculty to be sure! Good luck!

On 1/8/2020 at 9:40 PM, coco-ray said:

Hi everyone, just joining this site. I have two questions if anyone is able to answer them.

1) Does anyone know of any other online MSW programs that accept a non-social work BA? (ie. psych). I am already aware of the Wilfrid Laurier program... just wondering if any others. Also does anyone know if it matters if you do not live in Ontario for this program?

2) Advice needed on my GPA/grades:
My GPA in my final (4th year) of full time study is 3.95. However, since then I enrolled in two online courses (which I needed to apply to an Med in Counselling, but since decided on MSW instead). In the first course my final grade was A (3 credit course) and the second I did not complete before the final deadline (due to my own fault and confusion about the dates) and received a grade of F (3 credit course). I decided on a new path and no longer needed the course so did not go back and complete it again as I really disliked it! How would Wilfrid Laurier calculate my GPA in this case? Would the F be considered? Could I write a note to explain why that grade had been received? Would it look better to re-enroll in that course and complete it and receive a good grade to show I am capable or would it make a difference? Any advice on the situation would be appreciated!

Thank you!!

PS - Sorry, that kind of turned into a lot more than two questions!

Laurier is the only program that offers a non-BSW tract online in Canada. They look at your previous 10 courses to determine you GPA. You can contact the admissions department and ask them what they suggest. The enrollment advisors are very helpful.

12 hours ago, Rehbekuh said:

Anyone applying to UWO?

On the application's resume form, there is a section called "Leadership Experience" - does anyone know if that is paid and volunteer, or just paid? 

I dont think it matters! As long as you can explain how this was a leadership role. 

Hey everyone!

I'm overthinking this all last minute but I am wondering if Laurier's two year application has to be true essay format - introduction, conclusion, transitioning sentences, etc. I feel like I'm just answering the questions and moving on but reading it (without the questions in front of me) sounds a bit choppy. I also have 1-3 paragraphs per questions. I was wondering what others experience has been like so far?

10 hours ago, 7astrology-- said:

Hey everyone!

I'm overthinking this all last minute but I am wondering if Laurier's two year application has to be true essay format - introduction, conclusion, transitioning sentences, etc. I feel like I'm just answering the questions and moving on but reading it (without the questions in front of me) sounds a bit choppy. I also have 1-3 paragraphs per questions. I was wondering what others experience has been like so far?

When I spoke to the advisor about the style they wanted the written answers in, I was told essay or paragraph format for each question need not matter. The structure of you writing was not the committee’s main interest more so the content of your responses. 

Also on previous boards there were individuals that said they wrote their responses in both formats and were accepted. 

54 minutes ago, MSWhopeful2020 said:

When I spoke to the advisor about the style they wanted the written answers in, I was told essay or paragraph format for each question need not matter. The structure of you writing was not the committee’s main interest more so the content of your responses. 

Also on previous boards there were individuals that said they wrote their responses in both formats and were accepted. 

Thank you for your response and help! :)

Just got my rejection letter for May 2020 start at Laurier (2 year online). Wasn't really expecting to get in after learning its more experience related! Letter was very general, did not say what to improve personally. Good luck everyone else who applied :)

Hi everyone,

I have applied for Fall 2020 to UWO, Carleton and Laurier.

Just wondering if other people who applied to Laurier received a confirmation email after the submission of all of their documents?
I never got an email and my LORIS page looks the same as it did before, just that all documents are received and the submission button is gone.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, MSWWishes said:

Hi everyone,

I have applied for Fall 2020 to UWO, Carleton and Laurier.

Just wondering if other people who applied to Laurier received a confirmation email after the submission of all of their documents?
I never got an email and my LORIS page looks the same as it did before, just that all documents are received and the submission button is gone.

Thanks!

Don't worry. I had not gotten a confirmation email from Laurier when the documents were all submitted. They would have emailed you if something was missing. The Loris page will look the same until a decision is made then the letter of offer will replace it if you get in. Hope this eases your mind some.

17 hours ago, ErinCM said:

Don't worry. I had not gotten a confirmation email from Laurier when the documents were all submitted. They would have emailed you if something was missing. The Loris page will look the same until a decision is made then the letter of offer will replace it if you get in. Hope this eases your mind some.

Yes it does! Thank you.

I'm SO ANXIOUS waiting to hear back from UofT. I put all my eggs in one basket and only applied to UofT's Advanced Standing MSW for the Mental Health & Health stream.

I applied last year and got waitlisted, so I'm really anxious about this year! I know we still have about a month longer of waiting, but hopefully we'll hear back sooner than later!

Anyone else apply to UofT?

4 hours ago, French_MSW said:

I'm SO ANXIOUS waiting to hear back from UofT. I put all my eggs in one basket and only applied to UofT's Advanced Standing MSW for the Mental Health & Health stream.

I applied last year and got waitlisted, so I'm really anxious about this year! I know we still have about a month longer of waiting, but hopefully we'll hear back sooner than later!

I applied to UofT Advanced Standing Mental Health & Health stream as well!

When did you hear back from them last year? 

6 hours ago, French_MSW said:

I also applied for U of T's Advanced Standing MSW in the Mental Health and Health Stream, along with Waterloo's Online MSW Program! Holding my breath waiting... Does anyone know when notifications about Waterloo have gone out in the past?

Edited by DalGrad

On 10/8/2019 at 9:42 AM, courtmsw said:

Hi everyone, 

just wondering if anyone had any idea when Windsor sends out acceptances for the advanced standing program? 

I can’t seem to find it on their website

A friend called last week and was told end of Jan-early feb!

11 hours ago, French_MSW said:

I did! Hello! But for the 2-year program. I was also waitlisted last year! This year, I applied to York's 2-year program as well, even though they accept so few students, just to try to cast a bit wider of a net since I only applied to U of T last year.

The waiting game is not the most fun thing in the world! I am really anxious this year too!

What a waiting game... Long time lurker, finally cracking and posting under the pressure of waiting!

I am applying to the Dalhousie and Laurier MSW programs as a non-BSW entry, and the STU and Dalhousie BSW programs. Dalhousie letters should be sent via mail really soon!! Is anyone else here applying to Dal?

Like most people here I'm sure, I keep dreaming about getting an admissions letter that says yes... Any suggestions on calming the nerves?

On 1/21/2020 at 1:57 PM, courtmsw said:

I applied to UofT Advanced Standing Mental Health & Health stream as well!

When did you hear back from them last year? 

Is it your first time applying?

Last year, I heard back from them around February 20th I believe. So hopefully it will be around the same time this year!