Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

On 2/28/2020 at 12:43 PM, Katims said:

Does anybody know when we can expect to hear back from York MSW (advanced standing) and Lakehead MSW? 

On the website, York said it will be the second week of March. I am waiting too.

25 minutes ago, eh175 said:

For those waiting for advanced standing Laurier - I got an email today around 4pm letting me know I got accepted.

congrats, and thank you for sharing! I am really hoping that they didn't fire them all off at once. 

1 hour ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

Did anything change on Loris?

Yes! I noticed the email first, then I logged onto Loris. I clicked on Admissions > Display admissions applications > Master of social work. After clicking on that last link, it took me to a page with the offer.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 9.41.00 PM.png

On 3/3/2020 at 3:56 PM, eh175 said:

Guys!!!!!  I made an account to let y'all know I literally just got off the phone with Ryerson! Jen Poole called me and told me I got in, and that I got a $1000 entrance scholarship! I'm over the moon. I also got my acceptance from U of T earlier today.

Side note: I think Ryerson's admissions committee must have a lot of fun calling people to tell them the good news about acceptances. I kept stuttering "oh - oh my god...thank you oh my god....wow thank you..." and she was holding back laughter the whole time haha. Good cheer spreads!

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back! I'm rooting for you all.

Do you know which one you're planning to accept yet?

12 minutes ago, MSWapplicant2020 said:

i got waitlisted at u of T mental health. 

Does any one who got accepted know when the deadline to accept admission is? 

Just thinking when potentially i'm most likely to hear back, if ever lol 

My deadline is March 30, got the offer on March 2nd. They didn't specify the date in the admission letter I got, they just said four weeks from the date of offer.

Just now, French_MSW said:

Do you know which one you're planning to accept yet?

Still full of indecision....so much indecision.

To be honest, I think I am leaning towards U of T, despite the painfully high tuition. After doing my BSW at York, despite my love for critical social work, I think experiencing a change in approach & environment will be good! U of T is known for being clinical, as opposed to York and Ryerson which are critical. And I applied to the Social Justice stream at U of T, which I think will be a good medium place between clinical and critical, so I can experience a bit of both. I also think U of T seems to have more placement partners & connections than other schools in the area (at least from what I've heard).

One sticking point though though - not to sound like a nerd or a glutton for punishment, but i kinda do wish U of T had a research paper component like Ryerson does. Despite it being a ton of work, I honestly feel it would be cool & ultimately rewarding to write a whole research paper and do independent research on a topic I'm really interested in. And it never hurts to get research experience on your resume!

Side note: if any of you know anyone who is U of T's social justice stream, pass on any feedback they have to me! Or anyone in Ryerson's MSW program.

Another side note:  For Laurier advanced standing students - I am planning to decline my offer, as it's quite a distance from me and I'd prefer to save living costs by staying home, so a new space will open up for one of you! Good luck everyone.

Was anyone accepted at uoft for the children & families specialization? 

Are you planning to accept the offer or select a different? 

I was waitlisted & that was the only school I applied to so I am really trying to estimate my chances of getting an acceptance ??

Any information regarding being waitlisted would be greatly appreciated. 

17 hours ago, jberma01 said:

I applied to the same MSW programs and the wait is hard!! From what I've seen in past forums, Windsor sends out acceptances on a very long rolling basis... which means we could find out today or in 4 months from now or anywhere in between... not a fan!!!!

Let us know if you hear anything! Good luck!! :) 

I applied to Laurier and Western/Kings too! Best of luck!! The wait is awful. 

I just received an acceptance from Waterloo! Congrats to everyone else who heard so far :)

I will be declining their offer, as I’ll be accepting U of T! I also was accepted into Dal distance, but will be declining as well. Still haven’t heard from York yet

Hi Everyone

First time ever posting in something like this but figured I would share as I believe it's important to keep trying if things don't work out the first time, as cheesy as it sounds. I graduated with my BSW 5 years ago in 2015 from the University of Windsor. 

I applied to all advanced standing programs at Windsor and McMaster in 2015 and 2017 but was wait-listed/rejected from both.

Last fall I decided to take a leap of faith and applied to more Toronto based schools - Ryerson, York, U of T, Laurier, and McMaster - all advanced standing.

As of this week, I have been wait listed at McMaster and U of T, and accepted into Ryerson and Laurier. Still waiting on York.

Good luck to everyone! 

16 minutes ago, a99licant2018 said:

current York MSW student here (1 year advanced standing) - if anyone has any questions send away! 

Thank you!! Hope I can get in this year. Still waiting from York.

15 minutes ago, niccsg said:

Hi Everyone

First time ever posting in something like this but figured I would share as I believe it's important to keep trying if things don't work out the first time, as cheesy as it sounds. I graduated with my BSW 5 years ago in 2015 from the University of Windsor. 

I applied to all advanced standing programs at Windsor and McMaster in 2015 and 2017 but was wait-listed/rejected from both.

Last fall I decided to take a leap of faith and applied to more Toronto based schools - Ryerson, York, U of T, Laurier, and McMaster - all advanced standing.

As of this week, I have been wait listed at McMaster and U of T, and accepted into Ryerson and Laurier. Still waiting on York.

Good luck to everyone! 

When did you hear from Laurier? 

5 hours ago, olivolia said:

I noticed you’ve applied before! What did you do for this year to improve your application? 

Ugh yes! This will be my third time. I applied right out of university which was a mistake. I’ve got a full year in a youth mental health facility, plus some other side jobs and some new certifications since my last application. It’s so competitive!