Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

47 minutes ago, Juli3270 said:

I just received my rejection through SGS through UOFT :(. I have been bracing myself as my CGPA and final year GPA was not competitive at all, just making the cut off for final year GPA (Otherwise I thought my personal statement, work and volunteer experience was relatively competitive). It doesn’t feel as bad as I thought though, it’s only made me more motivated to improve and try a second time! 

Does anyone know of any 1 year BSW programs for those who have a undergrad degree already? The rejection letter mentions doing a BSW or taking 4 courses at the senior level to improve GPA. 

Best wishes to everyone else :) 

I'm sorry to hear that! I had applied to 2-year programs several years ago and was rejected. I then applied for the 1-year HBSW program at Lakehead which I'm in now! It has been a great experience - quite intense - but you complete the program within a year and then you can apply to the advanced standing programs. I applied for advanced standing programs while enrolled in this program and I'll be attending my MSW in the fall! So, it's definitely a great option to avoid the 2-year programs which are very competitive! 

Feel free to message me if you have any questions - I would definitely recommend it! 

Edited by sunflower21

On 4/1/2020 at 10:43 AM, Vivi2020 said:

In general or off the waitlist? If in general That time seems soo short, and i guess somehow so unfair! Do they email you to tell you your status change or do you have to keep checking quest?

I was offered and had 10 days from the date of offer to either accept or deny it.

1 hour ago, Juli3270 said:

I just received my rejection through SGS through UOFT :(. I have been bracing myself as my CGPA and final year GPA was not competitive at all, just making the cut off for final year GPA (Otherwise I thought my personal statement, work and volunteer experience was relatively competitive). It doesn’t feel as bad as I thought though, it’s only made me more motivated to improve and try a second time! 

Does anyone know of any 1 year BSW programs for those who have a undergrad degree already? The rejection letter mentions doing a BSW or taking 4 courses at the senior level to improve GPA. 

Best wishes to everyone else :) 

Dalhousie has one also, online :) It's awesome!

Please i need help. I applied for MSW in 3 universities 

1) University of calgary

2) Renison@ University of Waterloo

3) Dalhousie University

I graduateBSW  as a mature student from University of calgary last year  2019 JUNE with good grades

I got waitlisted in University of calgary but got admitted to Waterloo ?( for both masters of social work and Health evaluation masters)? and also Dalhousie both online.  

My dream is practice clinical, therapy and counselling or work in hospital and have my private practice along side.

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1) Please can i get advice on which program is better and friendl

2) Please is there anyone currently in this program at this schools and can advice or help or know someone

Please help. Thanks

Edited by B000

Please i need help. I applied for MSW in 3 universities 

1) University of calgary

2) Renison@ University of Waterloo

3) Dalhousie University

I graduateBSW  as a mature student from University of calgary last year  2019 JUNE with good grades

I got waitlisted in University of calgary but got admitted to Waterloo ?( for both masters of social work and Health evaluation masters)? and also Dalhousie both online.  

My dream is practice clinical, therapy and counselling or work in hospital and have my private practice along side.

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

1) Please can i get advice on which program is better and friendl

2) Please is there anyone currently in this program at this schools and can advice or help or know someone

Please help. Thanks

Edited by B000

5 hours ago, SCCPHopeful said:

I received an email at 7:30 AM this morning saying a decision has been reached for my application to the two-year MSW at U of T. When I signed into SGS portal there was a letter. I am on the waitlist! Fingers crossed. 

For those who received an acceptance, what is the deadline you were given to either accept, defer, or decline by?

Congrats, that is awesome! Does it say how many spots in the program there are/how many applicants? 

I believe the admission offers must be accepted within 4 weeks of the day they were sent out! :) 

4 minutes ago, nikki_ said:

Congrats, that is awesome! Does it say how many spots in the program there are/how many applicants? 

I believe the admission offers must be accepted within 4 weeks of the day they were sent out! :) 

It said nearly 700 people applied and 130 were accepted

Does anyone know if the 130 includes both 2year AND advance standing students or just the 2year?

Edited by sweetpeaMSW

2 minutes ago, SocialWorkMSW said:

I know I just finished looking at last years and they all found out starting March 30th!!

I know I saw that too! It’s frustrating 

11 minutes ago, ShannonKK said:

I'm curious for those accepted to U of T,  was there funding offered ?

Hey! There is no funding, primarily because it is a professional degree program and there is no independent research component. On the other hand professional degree programs like York's MSW require that students conduct independent research so I believe they get funding of 10k+. This is my rough understanding of how stuff works.

6 hours ago, MSW Applicant said:

Hi, I was accepted to UBCO as well! I am debating between University of Calgary and UBCO. Can you tell me a bit about why you chose this program?

Congratulations on your two acceptances! I haven’t looked into Calgary’s program so I’m not sure how they compare but essentially I chose UBCO because I really enjoy it’s clinical focus (considering I want a career in counselling), it’s course selection, the background of the professors, it’s price and the proximity to Vancouver (where I’m from)! 

Angela emailed me this:

Hello,

I am responding to your message.  All admission decisions for the two-year MSW Program have been posted to the SGS online portal.

Thank you for your interest in our programs and keep well during this difficult time.

Best regards,

So I am guessing no more acceptances are coming out. 

Does anyone know how the UofT 2 year MSW program is? I have read the student handbook and program descriptions from word to word, but i'm wondering if anyone knows someone who has done the program and what their personal experience was like. I got my offer of acceptance from UofT this week and I really didn't think I would have. So now I am looking at choosing between UBCO and UofT, as a lot of people have said to me that I'd regret not choosing UofT? UBCO is only a 4-5 hour drive away from where I live (Vancouver) whereas for UofT it will be a much further move, and it'll be more costly as well with the tuition fees, etc. So I only want to commit to UofT if I know that it will be the right choice for me. I know everyone's experiences will differ. UBCO is a smaller school in comparison to UofT so I'm wondering if UofT things will feel more overwhelming and competitive. If anyone has any experience about UofT to share, it'll be greatly appreciated! Or if anyone can share why they are choosing the MSW program at UofT, I'd love to hear about that as well. Thank you :) 

13 hours ago, K_J said:

Does anyone know how the UofT 2 year MSW program is? I have read the student handbook and program descriptions from word to word, but i'm wondering if anyone knows someone who has done the program and what their personal experience was like. I got my offer of acceptance from UofT this week and I really didn't think I would have. So now I am looking at choosing between UBCO and UofT, as a lot of people have said to me that I'd regret not choosing UofT? UBCO is only a 4-5 hour drive away from where I live (Vancouver) whereas for UofT it will be a much further move, and it'll be more costly as well with the tuition fees, etc. So I only want to commit to UofT if I know that it will be the right choice for me. I know everyone's experiences will differ. UBCO is a smaller school in comparison to UofT so I'm wondering if UofT things will feel more overwhelming and competitive. If anyone has any experience about UofT to share, it'll be greatly appreciated! Or if anyone can share why they are choosing the MSW program at UofT, I'd love to hear about that as well. Thank you :) 

Hey! Honestly I am from Toronto but I have heard a lot of about UBCO being absolutely amazing. My friend went there just a few years back. You are in the beautiful Okanagan to start and honestly  I have heard the environment is extremely supportive and helpful. Good luck!