Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

For those who were accepted to UofT's MSW 2 year program: I received an email from Angela today confirming that she received my forms and deposit. She is probably getting back today to those who accepted. 

Edited by MellieAnne

3 minutes ago, SocialWorkMSW said:

The 2-year MSW starting September 2020.

I just received an acceptance last week for the 1-year starting in September 2020 so I would assume yours should be soon as well :)

Hi guys,

I could really use some advice. I'm on the waitlist for the MSW program at U of T. How likely is it that I will actually get accepted? At this point I'm trying to figure out a plan B. I am thinking of getting a Community Service Worker Diploma (44 weeks) from a private college. I picked this college because I can finish the program within a year and its close to where I stay. There is a practicum part of the course as well. Will this diploma help me when I apply for a MSW program at U of T again next year? Or will it not count because it is a private college. PLEASE HELP ME OUT! Thank you

25 minutes ago, Raysha said:

Hi guys,

I could really use some advice. I'm on the waitlist for the MSW program at U of T. How likely is it that I will actually get accepted? At this point I'm trying to figure out a plan B. I am thinking of getting a Community Service Worker Diploma (44 weeks) from a private college. I picked this college because I can finish the program within a year and its close to where I stay. There is a practicum part of the course as well. Will this diploma help me when I apply for a MSW program at U of T again next year? Or will it not count because it is a private college. PLEASE HELP ME OUT! Thank you

Hey

That is definitely an option. I would consider it mostly for the practicum, if you're lacking in relevant experience.

I applied last year straight from my fourth year of uni and was wait-listed at UoFt. I had a stellar application all-around but did not really have good relevant work experience. I decided to focus on that this past summer and was luckily admitted this year. I would look at your application, and perhaps reach out to social workers or current MSW students, and try to pinpoint where your strengths/weaknesses are and then try to build on your weaknesses. I know this is really generic advice, I hope it helps though. If you feel comfortable I would be willing to look over your app and give you advice, though I'm definitely no expert.

Best of luck and don't give up! Another year passes by so quickly.

Edited by mswpenguin

6 minutes ago, mswpenguin said:

Hey

That is definitely an option. I would consider it mostly for the practicum, if you're lacking in relevant experience.

I applied last year straight from my fourth year of uni and was wait-listed at UoFt. I had a stellar application all-around but did not really have good relevant work experience. I decided to focus on that this past summer and was luckily admitted this year. I would look at your application, and perhaps reach out to social workers or current MSW students, and try to pinpoint where your strengths/weaknesses are and then try to build on your weaknesses. I know this is really generic advice, I hope it helps though. If you feel comfortable I would be willing to look over your app and give you advice, though I'm definitely no expert.

Hey,

Thanks for the advice! Congratulations on being accepted! Yes, I don't mind you taking a look at my application. Maybe you could give me your email address if you're up to it?

10 hours ago, Raysha said:

Hi guys,

Tons of students are accepted with an unrelated degree and with some social services experience. I personally wouldn't recommend getting the diploma just for the sake of your time and money, but the practicum part is particularly helpful. Another option is completing your BSW, which may take two years if you already have a degree. Ryerson for example, gives two practicums over two years in their BSW program and this gives their students an edge as they come out with a lot more experience. If you can get paid experience as well as some volunteer, I think this would a good option as well.

I was accepted this year to UofT in the advanced standing program, and I don't have any relevant social work experience besides my practicum and a few volunteer roles over the years. I think what changed my application was my statement of intent as I put a lot of effort into it to make it stand out, and wanted to explore areas of social work which were not common. At the end of the day, these schools want students who can provide new sort of research topics rather than having a lot of students with the same interests. Also, it takes a ton of luck to have the right person review your application and say I want to admit this person to the program. A lot of people boast about getting in and how they deserve it and whatever, but there are a lot of variables outside of our control.

This is just my opinion in any case, I'm sure someone else can speak to whether if the diploma increases your chances or not. Good luck with whatever route you take.

Edited by Rassky

14 hours ago, MSWSEPT2020 said:

I just received an acceptance last week for the 1-year starting in September 2020 so I would assume yours should be soon as well :)

Did you get an email? I've been trying to log into my Lori's account but not been able to.

4 hours ago, Rassky said:

Tons of students are accepted with an unrelated degree and with some social services experience. I personally wouldn't recommend getting the diploma just for the sake of your time and money, but the practicum part is particularly helpful. Another option is completing your BSW, which may take two years if you already have a degree. Ryerson for example, gives two practicums over two years in their BSW program and this gives their students an edge as they come out with a lot more experience. If you can get paid experience as well as some volunteer, I think this would a good option as well.

I was accepted this year to UofT in the advanced standing program, and I don't have any relevant social work experience besides my practicum and a few volunteer roles over the years. I think what changed my application was my statement of intent as I put a lot of effort into it to make it stand out, and wanted to explore areas of social work which were not common. At the end of the day, these schools want students who can provide new sort of research topics rather than having a lot of students with the same interests. Also, it takes a ton of luck to have the right person review your application and say I want to admit this person to the program. A lot of people boast about getting in and how they deserve it and whatever, but there are a lot of variables outside of our control.

This is just my opinion in any case, I'm sure someone else can speak to whether if the diploma increases your chances or not. Good luck with whatever route you take.

Congratulations on getting accepted! Thanks for your reply! I will look at the program at Ryerson but application dates are probably closed and I really don't want to delay another year. 

Volunteer positions (especially in research) have been extremely difficult to find and to even hear back from the various organizations. And given our current situation, I suspect its only going to get more difficult. I'm afraid I wont be able to find much volunteer or work experience since we are probably going into a recession after this pandemic. So I feel like doing an actual course related to social work and that will automatically give me experience in the field is less risky. What do you think? 

Edited by Raysha

Just a lurker here, but I just want to say to everyone waiting for the two-year Laurier program:

Nobody seems to have heard yet. It's okay! I'm super impatient too, but I'm sure that once someone hears they will post it. The office is probably just running behind the usual schedule because of COVID administrative disruption. Hopefully we'll hear soon.

Best of luck to everyone!

Remember: B r e a t h e ?

49 minutes ago, Ihatethissomuch said:

And you only found out last week? Were you waitlisted before? 

I found out I was waitlisted there at the beginning of March so I’m a bit confused. 

I wasn't waitlisted but yes just found out last week so not entirely sure how it works!!

3 hours ago, ksMSW2020 said:

Does anyone have ANY idea how big the wait list at U of T is, for the 2 year program?

My understanding it's big. I know for sure it's not ranked. This is my third year wait listed and not called off.

On 4/5/2020 at 12:01 AM, mswpenguin said:

Hey

I would love it if you could look at mine! We have similar stories, I applied straight out of fourth year and was just put on the waitlist, any advice would be amazing.