Canada MSW 2020

rolearly34

Just now, NS91 said:

for those looking at May2020 start at Laurier on waitlist i was on the waitlist (advance standing)  and just got an offer, but i declined and will be going to waterloo PT :)

Ahhhhh, this is encouraging and horrifying. The waitlist deadline is April 10th and I heard there are 8 of us, in no ranked order. Did you get the email literally today?

Congrats on your Waterloo acceptance though! 

Just now, HopefulandCurious said:

Ahhhhh, this is encouraging and horrifying. The waitlist deadline is April 10th and I heard there are 8 of us, in no ranked order. Did you get the email literally today?

Congrats on your Waterloo acceptance though! 

Friday around 530 i got it in an email, and that's what they told me when i went on the waitlist. Good luck! hopefully your next. 

20 hours ago, Raysha said:

Congratulations on getting accepted! Thanks for your reply! I will look at the program at Ryerson but application dates are probably closed and I really don't want to delay another year. 

Volunteer positions (especially in research) have been extremely difficult to find and to even hear back from the various organizations. And given our current situation, I suspect its only going to get more difficult. I'm afraid I wont be able to find much volunteer or work experience since we are probably going into a recession after this pandemic. So I feel like doing an actual course related to social work and that will automatically give me experience in the field is less risky. What do you think? 

Thank you!

I also didn't mean to downplay the community service diploma is great and opens a lot of doors, but I meant what I said regarding what the best chances of increasing your chances for an MSW in the immediate are. But you're definitely right, getting into education and having practicum experience will go a long way and will also add to your statement of intent and your interests very much. I don't think there are any ideal routes as admissions looks to admit various people from various backgrounds. But whether its volunteer or more education, it all helps.

Just now, HopefulandCurious said:

Thanks, friend! We shall see what happens : ). May I ask why you've chosen to go with Waterloo vs. Laurier? 

waterloo has more of a health focus, and their list of courses for the next two years really interested me; compared to completing a degree with a critical perspective like my BSW.

14 minutes ago, NS91 said:

for those looking at May2020 start at Laurier on waitlist i was on the waitlist (advance standing)  and just got an offer, but i declined and will be going to waterloo PT :)

I'm hoping to get into waterloo PT to!! (I'm waitlisted)

43 minutes ago, NS91 said:

waterloo has more of a health focus, and their list of courses for the next two years really interested me; compared to completing a degree with a critical perspective like my BSW.

Yes, that's true! They are quite different. I like both for different reasons. Did you have a deadline to get back to Laurier about your watlist acceptance? 

14 minutes ago, HopefulandCurious said:

Yes, that's true! They are quite different. I like both for different reasons. Did you have a deadline to get back to Laurier about your watlist acceptance? 

same , not that i noticed, but i remember something about maybe 24 hours or 2 days to respond

17 hours ago, aidyn said:

My understanding it's big. I know for sure it's not ranked. This is my third year wait listed and not called off.

Do you just stay on the waitlist for years until they offer? Or do you have to re-apply every year?!

I'm delurking to ask for some advice: I was admitted to the 2 year MSW program at U of T and I am thrilled! However, I am a bit worried about the effect of the covid-19 situation on Fall 2020 (and maybe future terms) classes and practicums. From what I have read, social distancing might be necessary (intermittently) for 1-2 years and I don't particularly want to do online classes or remote practicums in my first year of grad school. In addition, I have applied for the gerontology focus, so I imagine that practicums working with older persons might be particularly affected in the next 1-2 years. I feel fortunate to have a full time job right now so I am thinking of deferring my admission for a year. Is anyone else thinking of deferring for these reasons or am I overreacting? (And sorry, I know this message sounds incredibly privileged as many people are out of work and stressed for their and their loved ones' health - I hope everyone stays well).

PS. Congratulations to those who were accepted this year and good luck to those still waiting to hear back. For those of you who weren't accepted, please try again next year (this was my second time applying).

28 minutes ago, MSW2020UofT said:

I'm delurking to ask for some advice: I was admitted to the 2 year MSW program at U of T and I am thrilled! However, I am a bit worried about the effect of the covid-19 situation on Fall 2020 (and maybe future terms) classes and practicums. From what I have read, social distancing might be necessary (intermittently) for 1-2 years and I don't particularly want to do online classes or remote practicums in my first year of grad school. In addition, I have applied for the gerontology focus, so I imagine that practicums working with older persons might be particularly affected in the next 1-2 years. I feel fortunate to have a full time job right now so I am thinking of deferring my admission for a year. Is anyone else thinking of deferring for these reasons or am I overreacting? (And sorry, I know this message sounds incredibly privileged as many people are out of work and stressed for their and their loved ones' health - I hope everyone stays well).

PS. Congratulations to those who were accepted this year and good luck to those still waiting to hear back. For those of you who weren't accepted, please try again next year (this was my second time applying).

Hey! I was also admitted and worried about that. I think because the economic impact of strict social distancing like now would be too severe to continue doing this for more than a few months means things should be somewhat starting to open back up before the semester starts, so I am assuming in-person classes will also resume. But who knows, definitely frightening. 

Edited by mswpenguin

1 hour ago, MSW2020UofT said:

I know a few people who have been accepted who are strongly considering defering since they are not in the area and are concerned about acquiring housing/jobs prior to the fall semester starting along with the concerns you have mentioned. I think it is a valid concern given the uncertainty of the current situation 

On 4/2/2020 at 10:51 AM, MissMSW said:

Renison University College (one of the colleges attached to University of Waterloo) has a 1 year post-grad BSW - i'm doing it right now! you just have to come with a degree in a similar field and you can get your BSW in 10 months. Its pretty intense but if you don't wanna do a whole other 4 years its an option :)

Are there any courses in Toronto?

On 4/2/2020 at 10:51 AM, MissMSW said:

Renison University College (one of the colleges attached to University of Waterloo) has a 1 year post-grad BSW - i'm doing it right now! you just have to come with a degree in a similar field and you can get your BSW in 10 months. Its pretty intense but if you don't wanna do a whole other 4 years its an option :)

Degree in a similar field and a number of prerequisite courses*. You don`t just get in without them, unless you`ve previously completed an SDS degree at Waterloo and have already taken those courses as part of that degree! (Important for anyone wanting to go that route to know). I also completed that BSW and recommend it over completing a 2 year MSW. Because even if you do not complete a MSW right after, you can practice in a variety of settings in the field as an RSW. 

Does anyone have a contact # or email to reach admissions for the MSW at York? Still no info from them. As a current York student, I gotta say,  I'm quite used to the nonsense, but the winter semester has now ended and like come on? 

1 minute ago, msw2020hopeful said:

Does anyone know when we will hear from Laurier 2 year MSW?

I think Laurier had a pretty significant admissions delay with the COVID disruption in March. Someone said they only got their advanced standing decision a week ago. Hopefully that means our decisions will be rolled out soon, but it does seem nobody has heard and nobody knows quite when things will happen.